Anyone just do 1 set on deadlifts? - AnabolicMinds.com

Anyone just do 1 set on deadlifts?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Anyone just do 1 set on deadlifts?

I am currently doing 2 sets 3-5 reps on deadlifts and I was thinking about dropping down to 1 set, since on set 2 it's harder to keep my form since my glutes are so sore. I was also thinking about dropping from 3-5 to 2-5 if I go down to one set maybe even 1-5. I don't care abotu gaining size in my legs just strength and definition, my legs are already big.

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

3-5 sets 3-5 reps each periodo dot exclamation. unless for some reason i was to do squats earlier that day
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

i do 3-5 reps and work up to 75% and then may only do singles on up till i fail. but i find just pulling 1-2 times a month is plenty for me. then again my deadlift is so far above my squat and bench i am focusing more on bringing them up. and my deadlift is still climbing. ive added 50 lbs this year only pulling 1-2 times a month.

i dont think this is a good idea for most.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    i do 3-5 reps and work up to 75% and then may only do singles on up till i fail. but i find just pulling 1-2 times a month is plenty for me. then again my deadlift is so far above my squat and bench i am focusing more on bringing them up. and my deadlift is still climbing. ive added 50 lbs this year only pulling 1-2 times a month.

i dont think this is a good idea for most.
    Well when I said 1 set I wasn't counting my 1 or 2 warmup sets. How do you measure your 75% forgot the word, but I've never been able to figure out how to calculate like what my 75% percent is or my 80% or whatever.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

no, after warmups i do 3-5 sets of triples. i agree w ozzie, i only dl a couple times a month, maybe more closer to a meet.

good luck...
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

That's like something Dorian Yates used to do. He would do 2-3 sets to build up to his heaviest set and than go to absolute muscular failure w/ his heaviest set
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Well when I said 1 set I wasn't counting my 1 or 2 warmup sets. How do you measure your 75% forgot the word, but I've never been able to figure out how to calculate like what my 75% percent is or my 80% or whatever.
    Multiply your 1rm by 0.75. This is 75% of your 1rm. If this is what you mean.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Mmm I sometimes do up 2 8 sets.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Multiply your 1rm by 0.75. This is 75% of your 1rm. If this is what you mean.
    Yeah thats it, but I've never trained to see my 1 rep max. I'll give you an example of what I've been doing. I'm only deadlifting 315 right now but I'll warm up with like 2 sets of a lower weight like 1 set of 205 and the next set at 255 both for around 3 reps, than I'll do 2 sets 3-5 at 315 but I was thinking of lower my heavy sets to 1 set.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Yeah thats it, but I've never trained to see my 1 rep max. I'll give you an example of what I've been doing. I'm only deadlifting 315 right now but I'll warm up with like 2 sets of a lower weight like 1 set of 205 and the next set at 255 both for around 3 reps, than I'll do 2 sets 3-5 at 315 but I was thinking of lower my heavy sets to 1 set.
    ok then, 315x4=1260 x 0333 = 41.95 + 315 = 357, your max

you're welcome
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Oh yeah there are formulations that can pretty accurately guesstimate 1rm from working rep ranges so long as you work to failure on any given rep range. Then you plug that number into a formula and hey presto, a 1rm prediction.

EDIT: Napalms guessed your 1rm for ya. So use 75% of that
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Oh yeah there are formulations that can pretty accurately guesstimate 1rm from working rep ranges so long as you work to failure on any given rep range. Then you plug that number into a formula and hey presto, a 1rm prediction.

EDIT: Napalms guessed your 1rm for ya. So use 75% of that
    For warmups or as my heavy sets?
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I consider myself a pretty avid dead lifter, and I use an even lighter weight to warmup, but do it with very slow, precise movement. Ex: my 1Rm is 425, but I warm up with a set of 10 at 135. I move slowly and with a lot of concentration. Then I go up to a set of 5 at 205/225. From there I go up depending on if I looking for high rep or high weight. If i am doing a high rep day, I stay at 315 as my highest weight and will do 2 sets of 5 then a final set till fail...usually around 8-10 reps. If I am lifting heavy, after my warmup I will go 1-2 reps at a time and then go up around 10/15 pounds, again till fail. This strategy has worked really well for me, and the overly light, overly concentrated warmup helps emphasize form. Also, try adding straight leg DL's to your routine using a light weight. Given you weights you use now, I would start at 95 pounds. It will help strengthen your legs and lower back.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

i pull in the 700s and only DL 1x every 2-3 months... when i do DL its only 2-3 sets of heavy singles, i work up to it of course but only heavy singles.
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

Re: Anyone just do 1 set on deadlifts?

I've always just done one set or worked up to a heavy single, got me up just about to 600. And as far as calculating a %max based on reps performed. Because of the deload between reps its not going to be as linear as the other lifts. And some people will bounce the reps vs a total reload between reps so its not as easy to determine a max without actually working your way up with singles to get an estimate.
    CELTIC LABS REP
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    I've always just done one set or worked up to a heavy single, got me up just about to 600. And as far as calculating a %max based on reps performed. Because of the deload between reps its not going to be as linear as the other lifts. And some people will bounce the reps vs a total reload between reps so its not as easy to determine a max without actually working your way up with singles to get an estimate.
    Yeah I just want to work up to 500 pounds for about 3 reps that's my goal. Rather I can do 1 set of 3 or 2 sets of 3 at that weight doesn't matter so much to me. I was just concerned that maybe 1 heavy set wasn't enough for my body to get used to and progress from, but I much rather just do 1 heavy set since after the second set I feel wore out almost to the point where I just want to end my workout. In fact after the second set of deads I usually wait 10 minutes before I do anything else since I feel so tired out from them.
  17. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

Re: Anyone just do 1 set on deadlifts?

Yeah I just want to work up to 500 pounds for about 3 reps that's my goal. Rather I can do 1 set of 3 or 2 sets of 3 at that weight doesn't matter so much to me. I was just concerned that maybe 1 heavy set wasn't enough for my body to get used to and progress from, but I much rather just do 1 heavy set since after the second set I feel wore out almost to the point where I just want to end my workout. In fact after the second set of deads I usually wait 10 minutes before I do anything else since I feel so tired out from them.

I always do deads last, since after my strength on everything else is crap. Doing more than one set just takes longer to recover from and puts more stress on your CNS. I'd opt for a slightly higher frequency over a second set, you will get better return in strength.
    CELTIC LABS REP
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    I always do deads last, since after my strength on everything else is crap. Doing more than one set just takes longer to recover from and puts more stress on your CNS. I'd opt for a slightly higher frequency over a second set, you will get better return in strength.
    CNS? I do deads as my last barbell workout on chest and back days, that seems to workout alright. I could never deadlift before bench pressing though.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.

I dead lift at least every other week, although I would prefer to do them weekly. My 1RM is just over 3x my body weight, but that is with a complete reload. I would have to completely agree with tnubs on that one. I do not do a lot of set either. Warm up consists of 135x10, 225x8 315x5, then I go right into my routine 405x5 then 430x3-5 depending on my feel for the day. I have been know to work up to 475 if i am wanting to go really heavy. I do however know people that pull 8 sets on deads. You need to figure out what works best for you and run with it, you can always make adjustments daily based on how well you feel that day or on how you are lifting.
  20. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

CNS? I do deads as my last barbell workout on chest and back days, that seems to workout alright. I could never deadlift before bench pressing though.
    CNS= central nervous system
    CELTIC LABS REP
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

I did a low volume deadlift workout since I started doing them but now I'm going for higher volume, because of the success my lifting partner has had with that approach. He always does a lot of warmup sets, 3 or 4 working sets of singles, doubles or triples, and then pyramids back down. It ends up being a ton of reps & I thought he was overdoing it, but he got 6 plates in a rack pull the other day, while I got 4.5. We started deadlifting at about the same time, and we're close to the same weight. He has a couple advantages over me; he's been training longer, and he's 10 years younger than I am. Still, I bench more than he does, so I don't think it's a just a case of him being stronger, it really seems like his higher volume approach has just worked better. I've only been doing that way for a couple workouts so I can't say if it's working for me or not yet. I can say that it kicks the hell out of me, but that's good, it builds work capacity.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  147 lbs.

Well bro I always deadlift and squat with like a a couple sets of 3 reps working up to like 95% of max. I feel like I see more gains doing powerlifting on them.

Everything else I do 3 sets of like 8-12 reps.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anyone been doing deadlifts?
    By AaronJP1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 11:43 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 12:16 PM
  3. Can anyone not do back extensions on the chair?
    By Flaw in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
  4. Just want opinions on what you would do?
    By rrm in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 02:38 AM
  5. anyone ever do 8 weeks or more on media grade?
    By anapolack in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 12:52 PM