"Fat" guys powerlifting

Thomasxavier

Awards
This drives me up a wall, personally.

At my gym, there are about 6 very large guys who are powerlifting and strength training quite hardcore, and have been for about two years now, and it boggles my mind. If your body fat is above 20% you should be doing cardio, not trying to gain more muscle, IMO. This makes no sense.

Why do fat people powerlift and strength train? They need to be doing low weight and high reps and cardio. WTF?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Their goal is not bodybuilding or physique aesthetics but rather powerlifting. Physics!

As a matter of fact many huge bodybuilders are previous powerlifters as it put great amounts of muscle mass on their bodies.

It's their goals and not yours so why should they care what you think? For that matter why do you care? :)

Thomasxavier

Awards
Their goal is not bodybuilding or physique aesthetics but rather powerlifting. Physics!

As a matter of fact many huge bodybuilders are previous powerlifters as it put great amounts of muscle mass on their bodies.

It's their goals and not yours so why should they care what you think? For that matter why do you care? :)

That's a good question, I wish I knew why it bothered me. At first it didn't, but I think what has attracted my negative outlook towards them is they are not using proper form while benchpressing (using a wood block on their chest so the bar barely comes down) and they shout and scream while doing one rep. I don't know why that irks me greatly, but it has begun to.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's a good question, I wish I knew why it bothered me. At first it didn't, but I think what has attracted my negative outlook towards them is they are not using proper form while benchpressing (using a wood block on their chest so the bar barely comes down) and they shout and scream while doing one rep. I don't know why that irks me greatly, but it has begun to.
Again - they are not using bodybuilding training techniques. Those are board presses for powelifting - not bodybuilding.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have much to learn about powerlifting, OP. BTW, cardiovascularly speaking, most PL'ers are going to be in better shape than BB'ers. Conditioning is a staple in PL'ing routines, but not BB'ing.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ignorance is not bliss. What you describe is a method to improve a weak link in the bench press.

Second:

They need to be doing low weight and high reps and cardio.
This does NOT burn fat, nor is it even the most effective way to improve body composition.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I agree with everyone except moron and OP. If it bothers you then there is a reason for it and it has everything to do with YOU not them. Also why are you judging other men's physiques? Kind of weird for a man to be doing unless you're gay. If you're gay that's fine also I just don't know any straight men who do that

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with everyone except moron and OP. If it bothers you then there is a reason for it and it has everything to do with YOU not them. Also why are you judging other men's physiques? Kind of weird for a man to be doing unless you're gay. If you're gay that's fine also I just don't know any straight men who do that
This...on a board where dudes have avatars and post pictures of themselves in various degrees of unclothed? :D

napalm

napalm

Awards
this is quite possibly the stupidest thread in the history of threads...

boogyman

Awards

At my gym, there are about 6 very large guys who are powerlifting and strength training quite hardcore, and have been for about two years now, and it boggles my mind. If your body fat is above 20% you should be doing cardio, not trying to gain more muscle, IMO. This makes no sense.

Why do fat people powerlift and strength train? They need to be doing low weight and high reps and cardio. WTF?
Not everyone trains for looks. While I am not big at all, my training is geared more toward strength than looks.

There is no reason at all a "fat" guy cannot be in shape either. You average NFL lineman is well over 300lbs, with a large amount of bodyfat, yet could run rings around most people. I play basketball with a guy from work who is 5'7 and 290lbs...he keep right up with me as far as conditioning.

And finally, the movement with the block of wood is called a board press and is a well know technique to help with benchpressing.

mmorton

mmorton

Awards
Not everyone trains for looks. While I am not big at all, my training is geared more toward strength than looks.

There is no reason at all a "fat" guy cannot be in shape either. You average NFL lineman is well over 300lbs, with a large amount of bodyfat, yet could run rings around more people. I play basketball with a guy from work who is 5'7 and 290lbs...he keep right up with me as far as conditioning.

And finally, the movement with the block of wood is called a board press and is a well know technique to help with benchpressing.
That's true. I respect everyone in the gym, big, small, fat, skinny, buff.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
in for more joe rogan!

but listening to powerlifters talk with their muffin tops hanging over their belts does make me lol...i mean comeon lets all be real here

grandroid828

Awards
Somebody put him out of his misery. So much facepalm...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Glad the thread was properly handled :)

Thomasxavier

Awards
Lol I did some introspection to see why I'd have such a negative view in general, and realized it's really just 2 of the guys at my gym that annoy me. I don't care in general. But IMO if your body fat is over 15% you should be doing cardio just as badly as any strength training, zero exceptions

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Lol I did some introspection to see why I'd have such a negative view in general, and realized it's really just 2 of the guys at my gym that annoy me. I don't care in general. But IMO if your body fat is over 15% you should be doing cardio just as badly as any strength training, zero exceptions
well ****. but i dont wanna do cardio!?!??!?!?!

ill do it as long as i can still eat as much as i want. will that help?

/sarcasm

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just stop.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really?

Don't tell me you are also one of those guys who guesses his bodyfat is 10%.

steppinRazor

Awards
That would explain all those body building parades you see in San Francisco

Thomasxavier

Awards
Nobody cares about your stupid opinion.

At least have a f'ing clue about what we (PL'rs) do before you spew this nonsense.

I'm more wondering about what you DON'T do. Why do you need a high % of bodyfat, does it add protein automatically?

napalm

napalm

Awards
I'm more wondering about what you DON'T do. Why do you need a high % of bodyfat, does it add protein automatically?
Young man, come to Detroit and I'll put you through what I do with my prowler 3 times a week. I guarantee you'll be puking in 10 minutes.

<---around 17% these days

Thomasxavier

Awards
Young man, come to Detroit and I'll put you through what I do with my prowler 3 times a week. I guarantee you'll be puking in 10 minutes.

<---around 17% these days

17% isn't bad, I changed my opinion earlier to 20%, as I was ignorant.

I meant no disrespect though sir, this was more directed at people in the 32% body fat range, according to the earlier picture. In all seriousness (I haven't really been very serious this entire topic), I have immense respect for power lifters. Just doing farmer walks makes me feel half dead.

boogyman

Awards
17% isn't bad, I changed my opinion earlier to 20%, as I was ignorant.

I meant no disrespect though sir, this was more directed at people in the 32% body fat range, according to the earlier picture. In all seriousness (I haven't really been very serious this entire topic), I have immense respect for power lifters. Just doing farmer walks makes me feel half dead.
These guys say go F yourself.

153HaOffensiveLine_fp.jpeg

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im not saying this guy is the most conditioned powerlifter ever but both of these dudes bench press over 1,000lbs. Im sure the guy, Gene, on the right could ****ing care less about his gut. If I could bench press over 1,000lbs I wouldn't give a **** either.

Attachments

Thomasxavier

Awards
Im not saying this guy is the most conditioned powerlifter ever but both of these dudes bench press over 1,000lbs. Im sure the guy, Gene, on the right could ****ing care less about his gut. If I could bench press over 1,000lbs I wouldn't give a **** either.
No doubt that is impressive to bench 1,000... but tell me, realistically, how much greater that would be if his bodyfat was 8%? Is walking around with all that fat a constant leg workout to him?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No doubt that is impressive to bench 1,000... but tell me, realistically, how much greater that would be if his bodyfat was 8%? Is walking around with all that fat a constant leg workout to him?
Most people are not going to make optimal gains in strength (or muscle, for that matter) maintaining 8% bodyfat. In my experience, the greatest gains in muscle and strength (in the average individual) occur while maintaining and BF% of around 10-15%.

Now, there is something to be said about absolute strength at higher BF%, especially in natural athletes. Look at the best shot putters and hammer throwers, and most of them carry 25% body fat.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One simple word: leverage.

Thomasxavier

Awards
Most people are not going to make optimal gains in strength (or muscle, for that matter) maintaining 8% bodyfat. In my experience, the greatest gains in muscle and strength (in the average individual) occur while maintaining and BF% of around 10-15%.

Now, there is something to be said about absolute strength at higher BF%, especially in natural athletes. Look at the best shot putters and hammer throwers, and most of them carry 25% body fat.

Well, they should reach the strength achievements then get down to 10% bodyfat. That would be awesome.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, they should reach the strength achievements then get down to 10% bodyfat. That would be awesome.
Dude they have different goals than you. Get a grasp on that. A bodybuilders goal is to be sub 10% and not care about strength as much. A powerlifters goal is not asthetics, but to lift heavy ****. Food=Energy

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your profile says you smoke and drink yet you're here because strong guys doing board presses aren't physically fit. It's what they enjoy doing man.

grandroid828

Awards
THEY do. Most of your bodybuilding heroes started out powerlifting. Im a bber. No doubt. But i have the utmost respect and understanding for powerlifting. They cant have abs and striations like me, but i cant bench squat or dead supranatural numbers like them. Its apples and oranges comparing them, but both require extreme discipline, dedication, and education. Im more disciplined with my diet. But i guarantee you when *insert powerlifters name here* benches he takes alot more thought into preppeing and getting ready for a set than i do. Hes more disciplined than i am in that area. You will never even have the slightest knowledge, success, or respect from your peers in either of these sports until you realize what both are about, and how both can learn from each other and should respect one another equally.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards

what does high rep, low weight and being "fat" have to do with each other.

boogyman

Awards
what does high rep, low weight and being "fat" have to do with each other.

Agreed...cardio too for that matter. Any of those "fat" linemen in that picture I posted probably have great cardio capacity than OP.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

This comment has been sufficiently answered so I won't go there; but in all seriousness, i've come across multiple threads that you have started with questions similar in nature in that your mind is boggled at various ways people live their lives. You also report to have or be heading to a post grad in psych, not in exercise science, kinesiology, strength & conditioning etc. So naturally there are gong to be things you do not understand but that does not make your opinion on the matter the right one.

If you don't like it, go train at planet fitness or something and leave the PLers be.

napalm

napalm

Awards
jesus h f'ing christ, no thread has pissed me off more than this one since i've been here. as jason said, you just can't make strength gains at that body fat %.

op, how long have you been training? i'm guessing not too long. do us all a favor and post your age, weight and numbers before you cast dispersions on people that have different goals than you, if you have any.

please, give us all the benefit of your training experience...

napalm

napalm

Awards
This comment has been sufficiently answered so I won't go there; but in all seriousness, i've come across multiple threads that you have started with questions similar in nature in that your mind is boggled at various ways people live their lives. You also report to have or be heading to a post grad in psych, not in exercise science, kinesiology, strength & conditioning etc. So naturally there are gong to be things you do not understand but that does not make your opinion on the matter the right one.

If you don't like it, go train at planet fitness or something and leave the PLers be.
you sir, have been repped...

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
You should tell them all this instead of bitch about it on a forum..

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Hahaha **** man are you serious?! You should have given up after you got flamed the first time.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[video=youtube;fZCQFCGZELc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZCQFCGZELc[/video]

I think this video concludes the thread nicely, if you haven't watched before, you need to. If you have, you should watch it again.

steppinRazor

Awards
Lmaoooo good **** RED

uvawahoowa

Awards

That's why personal goals are just that...personal. trying to apply your goals to someone else is quite an ******* move, IMO (and I'm a bodybuilder)