Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Tall/lean guys GTFIH!! Arm tips!

Seriously... who doesn't want BIG ARMS? I have a good build finally and a big body. I'm 6'6" though and my long ass arms have just not kept pace with the rest of my body. They have gotten bigger and I've added some vascular aspects this year but I really want better progress.

Its not diet (I'll gain belly fat from overeating a clean diet before my arms grow). I was really thinking I need to do what seems practical, WORK MORE SETS. Been training for 3 years and have gone from 170- 210lbs all natty. I've recently completed the 4 weeks to big arms by T-nation (can't post link yet) ... some results.

I mostly need to come to terms that I don't have great arm genes and will probably never ever have 20" pipes but it won't stop me from trying. I'm sitting at 15" now and honestly look like I've come a long way (believe it or not @ 13.5") I bench about 250 1RM and squat that about 15x on a good day. I'm not entirely weak for being this tall and lean.

Just looking for input on things that have helped other people like me get bigger arms. Frequency? Sets? I'm ready to just hit arms 2x a week.... and hard. I have lots of compound movements in my routine.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.01%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I am in the same boat as not haveing bicep as big as I want, but my tris are pretty impressive. I really have seen some good growth in biceps. I started to use exerscise from Arnold's Bible. I start with slow preacher curls with Hammer Strength. I really feel the pull and it quickly blows them up. I then go to straight bar and superset dumbells. Inside 3 sets and outside 3 sets. Its a really good start. from there I vary my routine.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Yea, it seems to me that all signs point to using more sets or longer sets (more TUT overall). It freaking hurts but I haven't gotten to that point where it has worked against me to add extra sets or time. It always scares me the way people talk about over-training and that ectos need more recovery time yada yada yada. I think I'm really going to start punishing my arms until I see more growth or signs that I should ease up.

As of now I mix chest with bis (Monday) and hit back with tris (Wednesday) and then hit arms on (Friday) in a more isolated sense. This gives me 2x a week for bis and tris. I can focus on a rough TUT arm day for my Friday workout and see what happens.

Other tips from really tall/lean killers would be much appreciated!!
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.72%

Quote Originally Posted by 6andaHalf View Post
    Yea, it seems to me that all signs point to using more sets or longer sets (more TUT overall). It freaking hurts but I haven't gotten to that point where it has worked against me to add extra sets or time. It always scares me the way people talk about over-training and that ectos need more recovery time yada yada yada. I think I'm really going to start punishing my arms until I see more growth or signs that I should ease up.

As of now I mix chest with bis (Monday) and hit back with tris (Wednesday) and then hit arms on (Friday) in a more isolated sense. This gives me 2x a week for bis and tris. I can focus on a rough TUT arm day for my Friday workout and see what happens.

Other tips from really tall/lean killers would be much appreciated!!
    Gain 10lbs of muscle?

I read somewhere is takes an average 10 lean lbs to add an inch to your arm. At 210, your not light but being 6'6 thats a lot of "stretch". My generic suggestion to anyone wanting bigger arms is to add muscle mass.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.01%

10lbs of muscle would be nice.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post

Gain 10lbs of muscle?

I read somewhere is takes an average 10 lean lbs to add an inch to your arm. At 210, your not light but being 6'6 thats a lot of "stretch". My generic suggestion to anyone wanting bigger arms is to add muscle mass.
    I would think this more than anything directly relates to height. So an average guy 5'10" will add 1" every 10lbs.... Im probably at .7" for 10lbs then haha. Still good advice. Ive even tried squating like crazy to build a big body for big arms... my arms are getting better looking and stronger. I guess another few years and I may be happy. I guess the grass is always greener
    Currently logging: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/236161-dymethazine-4-ad.html
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.07%

Go heavy on back exercises: deads, pulls, etc. workout bi/tris twice one week then just once the next to let them recover and repeat. Focus on brachialis exercises and outer tricep work to get some width. And of course it takes time, so be diligent and keep at it. Good luck.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.1%

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    Gain 10lbs of muscle?

i have heard this before too. ive heard it takes up to 15lbs as well and that its just bodyweight and not just muscle. although im sure most people are going to want muscle and not just fat, lol.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.72%

Well, from my own experience, I have gained a little over 15lbs since febuary, mostly muscle, with a bit of fat...but mostly lean weight. My arms have grown over an inch, and I do absolutely no direct arm work. I do pullups, dips and rows once a week each and thats the extent of the work my arms receive.

If its 10lbs, 15lbs, whatever (I am sure height and body type factor into this), pure weight gain seems to be the deciding factor in arm growth. Probably a newbie may have some gains in arm size without putting on weight.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.01%

Quote Originally Posted by beastybean View Post
    Go heavy on back exercises: deads, pulls, etc. workout bi/tris twice one week then just once the next to let them recover and repeat. Focus on brachialis exercises and outer tricep work to get some width. And of course it takes time, so be diligent and keep at it. Good luck.
    This^^ and of course eat lots..
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I'm 6'5" at 220 and its taken me two years to get my arms to 17.5" from 16".

Here is what I do to try and grow arms:
    Dead lifts, heavy biceps (3 rep max) included with my arm work, do biceps on back day, and focus a lot on triceps too. Triceps add a lot of arm size.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.01%

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    I'm 6'5" at 220 and its taken me two years to get my arms to 17.5" from 16".

Here is what I do to try and grow arms:
    Dead lifts, heavy biceps (3 rep max) included with my arm work, do biceps on back day, and focus a lot on triceps too. Triceps add a lot of arm size.
    Agreed that tri's have so much to do with arm size. I get tols all the time my arms are massive, but what non bodybuilders dont know is it more tri then bi. I actually have undersized bi's and very nice tri's. I would love another inch. My size when at 5% bf is 17" when at 12% the are 17.75-18" but my tri's are very big.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer View Post

Agreed that tri's have so much to do with arm size. I get tols all the time my arms are massive, but what non bodybuilders dont know is it more tri then bi. I actually have undersized bi's and very nice tri's. I would love another inch. My size when at 5% bf is 17" when at 12% the are 17.75-18" but my tri's are very big.
    Sadly, genetics may never allow that for me. Im at 15 after 3 years. 16-17 in the next 3 years and Im happy as shat.
    Currently logging: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/236161-dymethazine-4-ad.html
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.95%

I've enjoyed Doggcrapp a lot for arm size. The compound movements and then a specific day for arms really helped my case. I went from 15.75 (I work on cm so forgive my conversion) to 17.71 in roughly 8 months with Doggcrapp, and I used to have a lot of problems previous to this. Now I look much more in line and at my ideal weight (~225 at 6'4'') I look proportional.

I think the killer for my arms to grow were the widowmaker sets that go along with DC (doing 20 rep lift after you're done with that muscle group and then extreme stretching it) and I have been pretty happy with it, specially considering I didn't quite put on a whole lot of weight, I just redistributed it it seems.

And totally offtopic, but can we talk about how at first I thought 6andaHalf was a nifty way to spell "Gandalf"? And I promptly thought "wtf is this, god damn world of warcraft?!"

Aaaanyways, I would give widowmakers a shot, they've helped me out a lot.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

That 20 rep post workout set sounds painful. TUT at its best I guess...

What worries me genetically is that im starting to get a great bicep shape.... but proportionally small. I feel the better the shape, the closer someone is to their genetic ceiling.

I got size the first 2 years it seems... now vascular and shape, but still only 15 and SLOWLY widening. Sooooo slow.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.95%

That 20 rep post workout set sounds painful. TUT at its best I guess...

What worries me genetically is that im starting to get a great bicep shape.... but proportionally small. I feel the better the shape, the closer someone is to their genetic ceiling.

I got size the first 2 years it seems... now vascular and shape, but still only 15 and SLOWLY widening. Sooooo slow.
    It's not easy by any stretch, but then again, DC only has 1 set per muscle group till failure so it makes sense.

Give a youtube on widowmakers and it will give you a little taste. It will be hard to move your arm after, but goesb ack to the old saying; no pain no gain. It does give you a feeling of satisfaction once you're through with it.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post

It's not easy by any stretch, but then again, DC only has 1 set per muscle group till failure so it makes sense.

Give a youtube on widowmakers and it will give you a little taste. It will be hard to move your arm after, but goesb ack to the old saying; no pain no gain. It does give you a feeling of satisfaction once you're through with it.
    Try everything once... gotta find new growth.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.89%

Look into dtp, that's a bodybuilding routine put together by kris gethin, and I know some people are against bbing buy I experienced great gains in size using it. It's intense and really high reps though
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Quote Originally Posted by dmmcclair View Post
    Look into dtp, that's a bodybuilding routine put together by kris gethin, and I know some people are against bbing buy I experienced great gains in size using it. It's intense and really high reps though
    I actually gave this a test run today, supersetting chest/back. Rough... the one downfall was that my delts were on FIRE before I felt my chest burn. Had to cut it short a few times. Could be the leverage on them from my height and huge ROM . I was considering starting a bit heavier at 40, 30, 20, 10, 5, and back up. Maybe even 35 to start.
    Not sure...
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.72%

Quote Originally Posted by beastybean View Post
    This right here, especially on the deads
    And no offense but I highly doubt at 6'6" youre going deep enough doing 250x15 on squats. Make sure you're going below parallel with good form. Hit your heavy squats and deads, and everything will grow. There's a reason 99% of guys with big arms have big backs, legs, etc. Keep putting on muscle and you'll see your arms grow.
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Quote Originally Posted by uvawahoowa View Post

This right here, especially on the deads
    And no offense but I highly doubt at 6'6" youre going deep enough doing 250x15 on squats. Make sure you're going below parallel with good form. Hit your heavy squats and deads, and everything will grow. There's a reason 99% of guys with big arms have big backs, legs, etc. Keep putting on muscle and you'll see your arms grow.
    No offense taken. My squat form is above average for a guy my height. Below parallel??? Probably not below, but with higher weights at my height its more dangerous to squat without a spotter. Leverage is far multiplied. Even if its only at 250. So, I use the most weight, range of motion and tut as possible.

Cant cheat on deads though and I use just over that weight
  22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.07%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

try chin-ups but with your hands directly next to each other (underhanded) and use full ROM and pull yourself up until your chest is up to your fists. it'll rock your bi's
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.72%

No offense taken. My squat form is above average for a guy my height. Below parallel??? Probably not below, but at higher weights at my height its more dangerous to squat without a spotter. Leverage is far multiplied. Even if its only at 250. So, I move the most weight, range of motion and tut as possible.
    It's not going to matter what height you are, use the most weight that allows you to go through a full range of motion. I agree that the taller you are, the harder it is to get depth, but that won't change its importance.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.95%

No offense taken. My squat form is above average for a guy my height. Below parallel??? Probably not below, but at higher weights at my height its more dangerous to squat without a spotter. Leverage is far multiplied. Even if its only at 250. So, I use the most weight, range of motion and tut as possible.

Cant cheat on deads though and I use just over that weight
    6'4'' myself, the way I found to kinda go around it is to either do squats with a bench (and therefore sit down and then get back up) or on a smith machine, with the movement breaker right where I would also want to be at my lowest point in the squat, that way I can also start from scratch and not have elasticity helping me and allows me to put as much weight as I possibly can.
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Those all definitely sound like good advice, thanks.

I do a few lighter sets at the fullest ROM possible, but my normal drop goes down close enough to level to look justified most the time.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'9"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.22%

6foot 8 and 3/4 manlet checking in. Great tips here, it's gonna be a long road for us tall guys too fill out but will be well worth it at the end
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.22%

My arms are just over 18" at 196lbs...what works for me, I do my own arm day. Always have, also for the last 2 years I do 6 weeks of hard core arms every now and then, 3 times a week. Monday real heavy with negitives, wed.. med weight 10-12 reps with drop sets, and fri go light and pump up with 20 reps.
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Quote Originally Posted by SlyCamaro View Post
    My arms are just over 18" at 196lbs...what works for me, I do my own arm day. Always have, also for the last 2 years I do 6 weeks of hard core arms every now and then, 3 times a week. Monday real heavy with negitives, wed.. med weight 10-12 reps with drop sets, and fri go light and pump up with 20 reps.
    Good stuff, thanks. Undulating periodization definitely works for a lot of people, I've used it myself. Although, me being 210lbs @ 11-12%bf, I'd def have 18+" pipes if I were 5'11". And yes, I'm envious you probably bench over 300.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that not all tall people are genetically equal (obviously). I'm sorry to say that I've fallen on the thinner side, genetically speaking. Many have said, "you'll get there... it just takes longer". I honestly don't find that entirely true (although I'll give it my ALL). Some guys my height started thin and as they grew up they filled out much more (you can usually look at people's father, but not always). Then I get the people that say look at him... he's all big now and he used to be skinny to which I reply.... YEA, so is his father, who also used to be a shrimp in high school pictures.

Genes rule all.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'9"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.22%

Good stuff, thanks. Undulating periodization definitely works for a lot of people, I've used it myself. Although, me being 210lbs @ 11-12%bf, I'd def have 18+" pipes if I were 5'11". And yes, I'm envious you probably bench over 300.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that not all tall people are genetically equal (obviously). I'm sorry to say that I've fallen on the thinner side, genetically speaking. Many have said, "you'll get there... it just takes longer". I honestly don't find that entirely true (although I'll give it my ALL). Some guys my height started thin and as they grew up they filled out much more (you can usually look at people's father, but not always). Then I get the people that say look at him... he's all big now and he used to be skinny to which I reply.... YEA, so is his father, who also used to be a shrimp in high school pictures.

Genes rule all.
    Uh oh, is the dark side starting to tempt you ?
  30. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Quote Originally Posted by Philshred View Post

Uh oh, is the dark side starting to tempt you ?
    Haha... maybe. I just ran 2 bottles of the AMS 1-ad, 4-ad and decavol. Results were not as good as I had hoped so.....

I have helladrol/ 4-ad on the way...

Getting feet wet
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'9"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.22%

Haha... maybe. I just ran 2 bottles of the AMS 1-ad, 4-ad and decavol. Results were not as good as I had hoped so.....

Getting feet wet

Getting feet wet
    Hahaha. Went on their website and I'm still unsure of what exactly the 4-ad rde does? Also I'm curious of the benefits of stacking this with helladrol? Thanks man, the dark side sure is tempting...
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Quote Originally Posted by Philshred View Post
    Hahaha. Went on their website and I'm still unsure of what exactly the 4-ad rde does? Also I'm curious of the benefits of stacking this with helladrol? Thanks man, the dark side sure is tempting...
    Halodrol has a tendency to cause lethargy and lower libido in many cases. 4-ad is a DHEA metabolite (4-DHEA) that converts to test which will boost energy, mood and libido. Make me AND the girlfriend happy. Pretty excited, actually. I work my ass off naturally so I know I'll see results.

Another good thing to stack helladrol with would be something that converts to DHT like 5-Alpha.
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.21%

I'm 6'4" Never had big arms either.

But when I picked up a Harbinger dip belt I started mixing in weighted chins. +25# and +35# chins for 5 sets of 10 twice per week mixed into my 5/3/1 program. Followed by weighted dips +45# and +55# for 5 sets of 20. Nothing else I have done in over 20 years of lifting has added arm size as quickly. Also these exercises give my arms and shoulders a strong balanced look. Still not monster arms, but I am really happy with how they look after adding the dip belt.
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

Thats great advice right there. I use chins every back day, the more I bulk, the harder it gets.... the more I cut, the more I can do haha.

Dips are something I really need to toss back in now that I'm over some shoulder discomfort I was having. I guess there is a reason people used to call them "upper body squats".

My gym has a few weight-able belts I am going to start trying. I only do about 10-12 chins at a time as it is and about 15 dips so it would be a lower rep scheme than you but always good to trick it up a bit.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.68%

I feel there needs to be a thread strictly for us tall lifters!!
    Progress leads to success.
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

If you have the time just to focus on arms, theres a program by Ben pakulski called 21 days to bigger arms.
    While i have not done this program, as i cant dedicate the time, bens other prgrams have been good to me. He knows his stuff. It might be worth persuing.

I'm in the same boat. I feel my arms arn't big enough. My problem is tri size. I work them hard, but i just find it hard to make them grow.

My current routine for tri's is
    2x a week
    close grip bench supersetted with pushdowns: 4 setsx15x12x10x8
    Kickbacks suppersetted with Machine dips: 4 setsx15x12x10x8

Increasing in weight as the reps reduce.

Is this enough?
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'9"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.22%

Quote Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
    If you have the time just to focus on arms, theres a program by Ben pakulski called 21 days to bigger arms.
    While i have not done this program, as i cant dedicate the time, bens other prgrams have been good to me. He knows his stuff. It might be worth persuing.

I'm in the same boat. I feel my arms arn't big enough. My problem is tri size. I work them hard, but i just find it hard to make them grow.

My current routine for tri's is
    2x a week
    close grip bench supersetted with pushdowns: 4 setsx15x12x10x8
    Kickbacks suppersetted with Machine dips: 4 setsx15x12x10x8

Increasing in weight as the reps reduce.

Is this enough?
    Looks good, iv'e really found that adding bands on my close grip has helped grow my tri's with the addition of heavy skullcrushers.
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.98%

I've been incorporating some rest pauses in a lot of my routine and am seeing results (even with my iso stuff). Hitting 6-8 sets of heavy 5 repped skulls with 15 sec rest has gotten my attention. Same with heavy dips, I'm really just knocking off my rest time. I notice I sweat a lot more and put up almost the same weight as 45 sec rest. Just makes me work harder

I feel tall guys really have to do more isolation stuff than the normal guy who's arms grow from compounded lifts. I know for a fact my body gets big from compounds but my arms show little improvement. Compound work is vital, yes, but if you want anything to grow, the best thing to do is work it directly. No smokes and mirrors here... Flame away if you think compounds make everyone's arms big.

Patience and consistency
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.67%

Tall/lean guys GTFIH!! Arm tips!

How thick are your wrists OP?I thought I had a hard time filling out at my height but I'm a short ass compared to you's lol
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.67%

Also nice to see another comment you made about cycles and your PCT. So your not natty after all. Maybe you'll never have big arms then?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Contest prep guys - non-contest guy need some tips!
    By StangBanger in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-20-2011, 10:28 AM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-17-2011, 08:40 PM
  3. Tall & Lean with a gut!! Best way?
    By scrilla in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 11:50 AM
  4. Need some help from the tall guys
    By spike88 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 20