Tips for a newbie to the iron game

1. Registered User

Tips for a newbie to the iron game

So I have finally saved up enough money for a gym membership and can stop working out in the park. So I'm thinking of a hybrid program with skill work like maintaining my handstand push-ups, planche etc. for one day and then lifting the other days. But my stats on the main lifts are I can bench press 125 pounds. Squat 100 pounds. Deadlift 140 pounds. Shoulder press 90 pounds. So I was thinking a 4 day split with those 4 lifts centered around it? What's your input?

2. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thessbros View Post
    So I have finally saved up enough money for a gym membership and can stop working out in the park. So I'm thinking of a hybrid program with skill work like maintaining my handstand push-ups, planche etc. for one day and then lifting the other days. But my stats on the main lifts are I can bench press 125 pounds. Squat 100 pounds. Deadlift 140 pounds. Shoulder press 90 pounds. So I was thinking a 4 day split with those 4 lifts centered around it? What's your input?
    Wendlers 5/3/1.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  3. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

Wendlers 5/3/1.
    this

you just happened to mention the 4 lifts that 5/3/1 revolves around
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderHumper

this

you just happened to mention the 4 lifts that 5/3/1 revolves around
    So basically in 5/3/1 you keep on progressing with all your lifts by increasing the intensity. I hear the strength gains are incredible but what about muscle gains?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

The muscle will come bro. Just eat a ton and rest a ton. I don't know too many guys that are beasts in bench, deads, ohp, and squats that aren't muscular.
  6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rsnake21 View Post
    The muscle will come bro. Just eat a ton and rest a ton. I don't know too many guys that are beasts in bench, deads, ohp, and squats that aren't muscular.
    Makes enough sense thanks for the info
  7. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thessbros View Post

Makes enough sense thanks for the info
    Also if muscular hypertrophy is a primary goal then consider the periodization Bible as assistance work.

There should be plenty of articles online but I recommend buying the book.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

5/3/1 like everyone said and Dave Tates Periodizatiom Bible as your assistance template like Jim said. Check out my log if you want to see how I run it but that'd be exactly what you want man. Progression in strength and size, and you can change your assistance how you want it. He sells an E-Book version for 20 bucks.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Tip #1: Leave your ego at the door. Form > weight any day. Should you challenge yourself? Yes. But if you use bad form from the 1st rep to your "last rep" than decrease weight. I believe in getting some cheat reps after using strict form during a set to break plateaus. Cheat reps have there place in workouts but as a beginner lets emphasis getting the form down pact and get that muscle memory going.

Tip #2: Beginners should emphasize the basics. Bench press, Shoulder press, Deadlifts, Barbell Curls, Close Grip Bench, Dips, Pull-ups. I been lifting for 9 years and I still incorporate those movements. Nowadays I do rack Deadlifts but still a deadlift.

Tip #3: I think beginners should keep a workout log for a year or so. It keeps you on track and helps the gains increase while you build up your body's base. Even after lifting for 9 years I sometimes will keep a log for 12 weeks just to break plateaus or to start a new routine.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Solid tips right there. I wish I followed those tips when I first began.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    Tip #1: Leave your ego at the door. Form > weight any day. Should you challenge yourself? Yes. But if you use bad form from the 1st rep to your "last rep" than decrease weight. I believe in getting some cheat reps after using strict form during a set to break plateaus. Cheat reps have there place in workouts but as a beginner lets emphasis getting the form down pact and get that muscle memory going.

Tip #2: Beginners should emphasize the basics. Bench press, Shoulder press, Deadlifts, Barbell Curls, Close Grip Bench, Dips, Pull-ups. I been lifting for 9 years and I still incorporate those movements. Nowadays I do rack Deadlifts but still a deadlift.

Tip #3: I think beginners should keep a workout log for a year or so. It keeps you on track and helps the gains increase while you build up your body's base. Even after lifting for 9 years I sometimes will keep a log for 12 weeks just to break plateaus or to start a new routine.
    Thanks for the great tips be sure to follow them.
  12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    5/3/1 like everyone said and Dave Tates Periodizatiom Bible as your assistance template like Jim said. Check out my log if you want to see how I run it but that'd be exactly what you want man. Progression in strength and size, and you can change your assistance how you want it. He sells an E-Book version for 20 bucks.
    Alright I'll look st that also thanks
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post

Very good advice. Form, Form, Form. I see people not follow this all the time. They get much slower results due to working secondary muscles more then primary. Good Form and learn to concentrate on the muscle worked.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. NEWBIE! To the site, and weight training! Helpful tips? :)
    By Kosborn12 in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 09:20 PM
  2. Who is FOR SURE going to The O in Sept?
    By Chad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 03:07 PM
  3. Tips for adding mass to legs????
    By JordyRoc in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 06:23 AM
  4. Newbie to the board
    By TheChosen1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 09:26 PM
  5. Getting ready for my trip to the Vet....
    By Cyrus in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 07:50 PM