A question about deadlifting

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.5%

Question A question about deadlifting

I mainly use SLDL to work my back and hams. I keep hearing people refer to deadlifts as a back exercise... Are they referring to lower/mid back or lats? Reason being, I never feel like my lats are working when I deadlift. Also, which would be better for back development; SLDL or regular deadlift? Thanks!

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.2%

Not too sure but DLs in general are a full body. I feel them in my upper back and low back the most with forarms.

I say regular only cause you can do a lot more weight
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.5%

Quote Originally Posted by j05441 View Post
    Not too sure but DLs in general are a full body. I feel them in my upper back and low back the most with forarms.

I say regular only cause you can do a lot more weight
    Thanks for the reply. The only difference I can see between them is that with regulars you bend at the knee (which will work some quadricep) and you touch the weight on the floor. The arm position and range of motion with the upper body is pretty much identical. I like doing SLDLs, but if there's some advantage over them in doing regulars, I'm game.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.74%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

The range of motion for the upper back shouldn't be identical between the two. Deadlifts are started much more upright with a good arch in the lower back. They're very different movements.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.96%

Which is better for back development... Of the 2, DLs. But are not movements the target just the back. DLs work mostly the hole body where as SLDLs target the lower back and posterior chain... Glutes hams and the like.

When I'm PLn I only dead lift 1x every 3-4 months... Other then that I do lots of other work to work around doin deads. To keep my DL strong and not do deads I do lots of back work, top to bottom. Making sure to work the hams in a lever action not a curling motion. By doin this iv pulled 722 at 218 (in a comp) and I'm over 6ft. So if you want a strong DL keep workin the SLDL.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.85%

I find trap bar dead lifts benefit me more in the mid- to upper back region.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Both SLDL and conventional deadlifts are a hip dominant movement. Yes, they both place an emphasis on the upper and lower back (with a greater emphasis w conventional deads due to a greater ROM and TUT)..however, the whole notion that deadlifts are a back exercise is old bodybuilding rhetoric.

Br
  8. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I feel like many ppl throw DL's with back because leg day most ppl do squats, and with how tiring and exhausting squats are, deadlifts are just as if not more tiring/exhausting. I would not want to do deadlifts and squats on the same day.
    PES Representative
    http://www.pescience.com/insider
    http://www.selectprotein.com
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.17%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    Both SLDL and conventional deadlifts are a hip dominant movement. Yes, they both place an emphasis on the upper and lower back (with a greater emphasis w conventional deads due to a greater ROM and TUT)..however, the whole notion that deadlifts are a back exercise is old bodybuilding rhetoric.

Br
    Agreed...deads balance out everything man, I prefer them on leg day, especially stiff legged...but I switch types every other week...I like rack pulls for back...a diff type of deadlift
  10. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by blaykeryan

Agreed...deads balance out everything man, I prefer them on leg day, especially stiff legged...but I switch types every other week...I like rack pulls for back...a diff type of deadlift
    Some days I like to do deadlifts with rack pulls followed. Talk about a workout.
    PES Representative
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.2%

Just crious do you have a platform to work with? Or are you controlling the weight down?
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.2%

I do them every other leg day
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.17%

Quote Originally Posted by kbayne

Some days I like to do deadlifts with rack pulls followed. Talk about a workout.
    Dang ha I couldn't do that..I do p.h.a.t training so that would kill me haha...I like the stretch from rack pulls
  14. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.51%

Quote Originally Posted by blaykeryan

Dang ha I couldn't do that..I do p.h.a.t training so that would kill me haha...I like the stretch from rack pulls
    I think myself and one other dude in my gym do rack pulls and everytime I do ppl look at me all weird like "what the f is he doing" lol. Only thing I say about rack pulls is make sure if ppl do them the safety bars are at knees height or a little below.
    PES Representative
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.17%

Haha same here..yea I put it a lil below the knee shot much though
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.5%

I did some regulars yesterday and man, what a difference! I've got sore muscles that haven't been sore in a while. I think I may rotate between SLDL and regulars just to keep them both strong.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.93%
    Achievements Posting Pro

crazy thought here, but instead of a leg day where you do squats how about a squat day where you do muscles that need to more work to catch up with the strong and big stuff. or instead of a back day where you deadlifts a deadlift day where you do stuff to make the deadlift stronger.

or what i have done at times, man day. where i do squats and deadlifts in the same workout. do some facepulls, abs, and call that **** good. lol.

seriously though. the only reason why i would do SLDL over deads is that i need to do it to bring up a weak link to make my deadlift stronger and minimize injury. but then i am looking at strength over a pretty body. with my ugly mug a pretty body would be like putting make up on a pig though, lol.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.

Similar Forum Threads

1. 2 questions about deadlift/racklift
    By MoTiV in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2008, 01:52 AM
  2. Question about deadlifts for a bodybuilder
    By drewh10987 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 12:10 PM
  3. Question about T-1 Pro??
    By windwords7 in forum Supplements