Neutral Grip Pullups - AnabolicMinds.com

Neutral Grip Pullups

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Neutral Grip Pullups

Do you guys feel using a neutral grip for your Pullups/Pulldowns detracts from Lat involvement? Even if I do em wide neutral grip.. I'm doin 5/3/1 and when I get to my Shoulders day my 2nd assistance exercise I've been doing pullups. Id like to target the brachioradialis to get it to grow more, but if its gonna be at the expense of lattisimus stimulation, then I'll just throw in some hammer curls instead...

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mcc23 View Post
    Do you guys feel using a neutral grip for your Pullups/Pulldowns detracts from Lat involvement? Even if I do em wide neutral grip.. I'm doin 5/3/1 and when I get to my Shoulders day my 2nd assistance exercise I've been doing pullups. Id like to target the brachioradialis to get it to grow more, but if its gonna be at the expense of lattisimus stimulation, then I'll just throw in some hammer curls instead...
    I have been doing them neutral grip for a little while now. I don't feel my lats have suffered. I do them very slow and controlled, full range of motion. By full range I mean all the way down, and all the way up, my chest coming up to my hands. Doing them this way means a couple less reps, but I have seen great gains.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

There was an article posted here over the summer were they discussed grip usage and Pulldowns. I imagine the same applies to pull ups as well. I'll see if I can find it, it was a good read.

If you're following 5/3/1 then go by what Wendler says in his book and just do pull-ups, any grip, all grips, just do pull-ups. I personally feel neutral grip the best, and like what the above poster said-make sure you get that full ROM
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I find that the neutral close grip works the lower part of the Lat better. You should be doing all grips to really benefit.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

What makes you think that any pullups are going to significantly involve the brachioradialis? Are they involved in the movement? Yes, but it is far from being a primary mover in the exercise.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I only do neutral grip bc it feels better on my shoulders, my back and lifts have not suffered.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-31-2012, 11:45 PM
  2. Is a reverse grip okay for BB shrugs?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 07:31 PM
  3. Muscle Magazines - grip
    By legaljuicer in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 08:41 AM
  4. reverse grip bench
    By LakeMountD in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 04:37 PM
  5. Close-grip Bench