check my deadlift form - AnabolicMinds.com

check my deadlift form

1. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

check my deadlift form

lately I have been trying to improve my deadlift form. this is a 235 lb deadlift. check it out and let me know what you think.

youtu.be/BxkOoqj1EaY

you can fast forward through the first 30 seconds

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Pull in a straight line upwards and not in a zig-zag pattern. Your hips shoot up too soon in the movement, your knees move forwards, and your shoulders are slightly in front of the bar. Also, do not lower the weight in that fashion; just drop the damn bar.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Imskyhigh87
    lately I have been trying to improve my deadlift form. this is a 235 lb deadlift. check it out and let me know what you think.

youtu.be/BxkOoqj1EaY

you can fast forward through the first 30 seconds
    Try taking your shoes off sounds crazy but try it also I agree with go straight up don't zigzag if your shins aren't bleeding your not doing it right ?
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Tuck your chin. Your head should be level, which means when you are at the bottom of the ROM, your face should be aimed toward the bar. This will keep your spine in alignment from the top down. The way you set up, with your head and chin up, has the c-spine in excess lordosis. You may also need to work your deep cervical spinal flexors, as it looks like your head is a bit forward in a resting posture.

Beyond that, I agree with everything Rodja said. Drop the bar.

And pulling barefoot is also a good idea. You can more easily spread the weight equally across the foot (versus sneakers where you are propelled forward) and it will bring you a bit closer to the bar, which is also advantageous.

Br
  5. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Thanks for all the advice.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Toes facing slightly out is fine.

Keep your feet hip width apart. Do a few vertical jumps and notice your foot placement, that's where they should be when you pull.

The bar should be centered over your foot. If you include the heel in the measurement, this will place it about 1/2-2 inches away from the shin depending on size.

Your knees and shoulders should not be over the bar (unless you are doing a clean pull...which you are not). Your shin should be perpendicular to the ground, and your hips should be way back.

Good luck

Br
  7. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Whats up, I know its been a while. Back when I started this thread I was deadlifting 225x5, my current max dlift is 275x5 which puts around 315 for a 1rm. Im going to stay light for a while and get my from perfect before going up in weight, and trying to rep 315. I have a new video that I took tonight. Check it out and let me know what you think compared to the old one.
    *My stance is a bit different now. I find going a little wider than shoulder width with my toes slightly pointed out, but the big change I made in my form is letting my knees start in front of my shins almost vertical with my toes; as opposed to keeping my knees vertical with my shins...on the way up, I feel like I get the bar past my knees smoother this way. Any thoughts?
    * I notice I still have somewhat of a zig-zag pattern...would engaging my hips forward sooner prevent this?
    * Are reps 5 and 6 good?

.youtube.com/watch?v=WwGryN0CUgI title: chris checking deadlift form. Ps. sorry i cant just post the video in here =low post count
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Your butt shoots up way too quickly, almost all the way up before your back even moves, thus turning it into a stiff leg deadlift in which your lifting fully with your back. Stop riding the weight down like that, just set it down.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

each rep you do, you should basically start over as if it was your first rep. that helps keep your form more consistent.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Ok im gonna try it very differently tonight and postup a new video either tonight or tomorrow. Im gonna treat it like a squat till about thigh height and see if my form looks better that way. I will also start dropping the bar cuz i agree it looks stupid riding the bar down.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Deadlift form check
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM
  2. Please check my form (lateral raise db in front/scaptions)
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 09:32 AM
  3. Check my new routine and comment please
    By goldylight in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 02:32 AM
  4. check my routien out
    By Zack in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 09:47 PM