Rest pause

1. New Member
    Answers

Rest pause

I realized today that since I started training, I've been using rest pause on 99% of my sets without meaning to. Could this be the reason for stalled gains?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Answers

It depends on what iteration of "rest / pause" you're using I suppose. I've seen R/P's that were 10 to 15 second "rests" and I've seen some claim an R/P with a one minute rest.

Speaking for me - my biggest gains come from HEAVY deadlifts ... 5 reps for 5 sets. There is no ****ing way I could do 5 sets lifting as heavy as I do with only a 10 to 15 second break between sets. I need about 2-3 minutes just to recover my breath from a set. So my vote is "Yes" - if you'r using too short of a rest period between sets then it's affecting (negatively) your ability to lift as heavy as you are capable of lifting.

3. New Member
    Answers

My rest pause is for example on bench doing hmm say 3 reps then locking out for 5-10 seconds doing another rep then locking out again and so on. And I do this on nearly every set without meaning to and I always have

•   

4. New Member
    Answers

I wouldn't call this a rest pause set. However, if you think this has stalled your gains I'd discontinue this type of training for a few weeks and compare your results.

5. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by diezel
    I wouldn't call this a rest pause set. However, if you think this has stalled your gains I'd discontinue this type of training for a few weeks and compare your results.
    Will do.

6. New Member
    Stats
    6'9"  245 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Danimozz

Will do.
    Actually what you mentioned is in fact a rest pause and if your lifting heavy and taking short pauses hypertrophy should follow. I don't think this is what's resulting in your plateau. Also people seemed to have confused sets and reps.

7. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Philshred

Actually what you mentioned is in fact a rest pause and if your lifting heavy and taking short pauses hypertrophy should follow. I don't think this is what's resulting in your plateau. Also people seemed to have confused sets and reps.
    Well basically my question is... Could massive overuse of rest pause technique be the reason for my burned out, lack of motivation to life feeling?

8. New Member
    Answers

Well basically my question is... Could massive overuse of rest pause technique be the reason for my burned out, lack of motivation to life feeling?
    Lift*

9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Lack of gainz often leads to lack of motivation. Also, you could be under-recovering. I know wrasslin season is coming up and all the kids are going anorexic. Are you eating enough to recover and repair from your repeated uses of intensity techniques?
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html

10. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude
    Lack of gainz often leads to lack of motivation. Also, you could be under-recovering. I know wrasslin season is coming up and all the kids are going anorexic. Are you eating enough to recover and repair from your repeated uses of intensity techniques?
    Not really

11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

There you have it.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html

12. New Member
    Stats
    6'9"  245 lbs.
    Answers

In what lifts do you utilize rest pauses? Do you do it in almost every set? Are you pushing yourself to almost failure? Imo lack of motivation in my case in the gym comes from when I believe that my effort put in outweighs the results I'm getting. We all hit a wall once in a while and question our methods. However the most important is make sure you're lifting heavy with good form, eating properly and most importantly enjoying what you're doing! Consistency is key, try and find a gym partner with more experience to train with. It will help you stay motivated and you'll learn tons! Good luck

13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

DC training revolves around rest pause, it works but it also taxing on CNS. That's why DC also goes with blasts and cruise training
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

14. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Philshred

In what lifts do you utilize rest pauses? Do you do it in almost every set? Are you pushing yourself to almost failure? Imo lack of motivation in my case in the gym comes from when I believe that my effort put in outweighs the results I'm getting. We all hit a wall once in a while and question our methods. However the most important is make sure you're lifting heavy with good form, eating properly and most importantly enjoying what you're doing! Consistency is key, try and find a gym partner with more experience to train with. It will help you stay motivated and you'll learn tons! Good luck
    Yes nearly every set

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Rest Pause Sets
    By manifesto in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 01:41 PM
  2. Rest-pause HIT
    By meb019 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 08:02 PM
  3. Rest Pause Training(RPT)