What are some good alternatives to chinups and dips?

Raj

Awards
Chinups I cant do because I dont have the strength and Dips I cant because my local gym does not have a dipping station/facility......now what excercises would be best to replace them?

Thank you

Grant

Awards
  • Established
Do dips between two benches, and do pull downs until you get the strenght to do pull ups, I used to be able to do only a few pullups, not I can do more ater working on pull downs for a while.

Raj

Awards
any other alternative to dips or what you just suggested? I'm really heavy and I dont think I can pull that off

Grant

Awards
  • Established
Not that I know of, Im sure you can do at least one, just keep working your way up. Hell even use your feet to help push you up after you fail. Do some cardio and eat right. What are your stats?

Raj

Awards
102.9 kgs. around 30% BF....Age is 25 ...Never trained seriously (well actually did once and succedded lost around 45 kgs. in all....from 120 kgs to 75 kgs.).....Have a history of fasting/dieting from 5-6 years to lose weight.....My diet all my life has been the average Indian diet which is nothing but Carbs + Fat. The best I could bench was around 130 lbs when I was at my peak fitness( at 75kgs. weight). That sums it all I think.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
You could place one hand on each bench, and dip until you fail (with your feet out in front of you), then when you fail, you could push yourself up with your feet until you fail again. then rest and repeat.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
What do you eat to get no protien and just carbsa and fat. you have protien poder over in India?

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
If you put a bench under the pull up bar and put your feet on it and use it to support some of your weight you can probably knock out a few chins. I used to do this until I got strong enough to do chins on my own.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
If you put a bench under the pull up bar and put your feet on it and use it to support some of your weight you can probably knock out a few chins. I used to do this until I got strong enough to do chins on my own.
Yea I used to do this also, it works good. I see alot of folks doing that, even big ones so they can bust out a few more reps.

Raj

Awards
This sounds better

Raj

Awards
What do you eat to get no protien and just carbsa and fat. you have protien poder over in India?
Yes we do get 100% Optimum Whey here...only problem is it costs $100 usd. The good thing in India is that there are very few roids that are NOT available here. But for that you need to be a good ol seasoned bodybuilder or trainee right?

EDIT > and that's the 5 lb version

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You don't have to do pullups or dips. If you want to hit you back hard do alot of rowing movements. You can replace dips with bench presses because it hits the same muscles(tri's, delt's,chest). The main thing is to use one for about 3-4 weeks and then switch to another one such as close grip, medium, grip, regular grip, illegaly wide, incline, decline, dumbells.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
The good thing in India is that there are very few roids that are NOT available here. But for that you need to be a good ol seasoned bodybuilder or trainee right?
Ideally, but when in Rome.......:think:

Nah, you're right. You should wait until you get your diet and training in check before trying roids.

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
a sub for dips would be reverse grip close grip bench press. It make take a short while to find a comfortable position but the exercise hits all three heads in the tricept.

If you have a smith machine start out on that before moving to a regular bench so you can get comfortable with the movement.

The Rob

Awards
a sub for dips would be reverse grip close grip bench press. It make take a short while to find a comfortable position but the exercise hits all three heads in the tricept.

If you have a smith machine start out on that before moving to a regular bench so you can get comfortable with the movement.
yeah I was about to say closegrip is, along with dips, the bets tri exercise.
As for pullups, I like doing inverted pulldowns from time to time (where palms face each other while holding the handles on the bar)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Hammerstrength makes that seated dip machine - but if you dont have a dip rack you probably wont have that unit either. Try combinations of movements to get the same effects -

Pulldowns supersetted with Standing Lat Press Downs as a sub for chins

A TriSet of Pushups/DB Lateral Raises/DB Front Raises works well as a sub for dips

BV