hamstring mass exercises

  1. Registered User
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0

    hamstring exercises


    what do you guys think of my hamstring routine?

    Monday:
    stiff legged DB deadlift 4x6-8
    lying leg curls 4x6-8

    Thursday(2nd leg day):
    seated leg curl 4x6-8
    standing leg curl 4x6-8


    my hamstrings seem to like lower reps compared to my quads with like 10+

  2. Registered User
    tigerdb2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    Answers
    0


    Instead of two knee flexion exercises on the second day, why not go with another hip extension as you did on the first say? And as an aside, I'm not fond of pure knee flexion exercises in general bc that's not quite how it functions (pure flexion with a long lever) but most gyms seem to lack a GHR so, eh.
  3. Registered User
    pyrobatt's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,380
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by gregg1494
    what do you guys think of my hamstring routine?

    Monday:
    stiff legged DB deadlift 4x6-8
    lying leg curls 4x6-8

    Thursday(2nd leg day):
    seated leg curl 4x6-8
    standing leg curl 4x6-8

    my hamstrings seem to like lower reps compared to my quads with like 10+
    Same with the lower reps for me haha . Lunges are awesome for hammys and glutes. If that routine is working for ya I wouldn't change a thing.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    supermanjow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,124
    Answers
    0


    This is one of my all time favorites and has really added some mass to my hams this last year. Next year's wheels are going to be on a whole other level!!!

    http://www.facebook.com/Celtic.Labs - Celtic Labs Representative
  5. Registered User
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
    Same with the lower reps for me haha . Lunges are awesome for hammys and glutes. If that routine is working for ya I wouldn't change a thing.
    Yea, i do lunges for quads, i shorten my stride so i can target more quads.
  6. Registered User
    bono1132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    413
    Answers
    0


    What about leg press feet high? Change up every couple sets foot position so you get every part of it moving from the hip, same with lunges to get glutes more also. Do you do standard deadlifts on back day?
  7. Registered User
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0


    no, 2 leg days keep my legs destroyed all week. I could never dead lift. Picking up dumbbells off the floor is a chore. lol
  8. Registered User
    PROness's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    182
    Answers
    0


    GHRs <3
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,120
    Answers
    0


    Good mornings and lengthen your stride on lunges to target the entire thigh and glute region.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Registered User
    bono1132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    413
    Answers
    0


    I enjoy good mornings as well. Also using smith machine and dumbbells for stiff legged deads gives me better motion and control. Again use different foot positions and vary the direction toes are pointing ( try that with all your leg exersizes if your not) also there's a double pump technique (i refer to it as the double tap... Gotta make sure) basically say your doing leg curls, do the full rep then half way through the negative portion stop and the rep it again from there, I guess its basically hrt without a partner now that I think about it
  11. Registered User
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by supermanjow View Post
    This is one of my all time favorites and has really added some mass to my hams this last year. Next year's wheels are going to be on a whole other level!!!

    is he doing that on a pull down seat? haha what ever works i guess
  12. Registered User
    supermanjow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,124
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by gregg1494 View Post
    is he doing that on a pull down seat? haha what ever works i guess
    Yes, I am.
    http://www.facebook.com/Celtic.Labs - Celtic Labs Representative
  13. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,474
    Answers
    0


    GHRs, Goodmornings, RDLs
  14. Registered User
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,175
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by gregg1494 View Post

    Monday:
    romainian deadlift 4x6-8
    swiss ball leg curls 4x6-8

    Thursday(2nd leg day):
    box squats 8x6-8
    yep, i like it.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  15. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,093
    Answers
    0


    More hip extension, less knee flexion.
  16. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    Instead of two knee flexion exercises on the second day, why not go with another hip extension as you did on the first say? And as an aside, I'm not fond of pure knee flexion exercises in general bc that's not quite how it functions (pure flexion with a long lever) but most gyms seem to lack a GHR so, eh.
    This. I'm working on a blog post right now regarding how counterproductive hamstring curls (with the exception of swiss ball bridging HS curls) are.

    The hamstring is a powerful hip extensor and should be trained as such. If you want to reduce lower back loading then you can do band or cable resisted lying straight leg extensions.

    Br
  17. Registered User
    tigerdb2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    This. I'm working on a blog post right now regarding how counterproductive hamstring curls (with the exception of swiss ball bridging HS curls) are.

    The hamstring is a powerful hip extensor and should be trained as such. If you want to reduce lower back loading then you can do band or cable resisted lying straight leg extensions.

    Br
    Mind linking me to your blog? I'd be very interested in keeping up with that.
  18. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    Mind linking me to your blog? I'd be very interested in keeping up with that.
    Sure. Its jasoncholewa.com

    Enjoy
  19. Registered User
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,168
    Answers
    2


    I am curious to why you would describe isolated knee flexion exercises as counterproductive for a bodybuilder?

    The movement isn't natural and it is not integrating them with the rest of the posterior chain but I wouldn't eliminate it from a hypertrophy routine solely from that perspective. There are loads of non functional positions used in bodybuilding routines that still have worth.

    I am not saying I prefer it to common hip extension exercises but I definitely wouldn't go to the extreme of saying it is counterproductive.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  20. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    From a bodybuilding perspective hamstring curls do not overload the hamstrings to the same extent as they are overloaded during hip extension movements. They also do not fully recruit all the hamstring muscles to the same degree, of which I need to dig up the EMG studies to substantialize this further.
    The major issue with hamstring curls for athletic is that they train the HS to flex the knee from a (in the case of lying) a position of major anterior pelvic tilt. This is quite the opposite of their function with regards to sprinting or running. Knee flexion is occuring from a position of a neutral pelvis and a slightly flexed (or flexing) hip. Anterior pelvic tilt + extended hip + knee flexion on a field is going to increase risk of HS injury.
  21. The BPS Rep
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,167
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    Sure. Its jasoncholewa.com

    Enjoy
    You've been holding out of the members of AM I see.... :wink:
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

    Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  22. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    You've been holding out of the members of AM I see.... :wink:
    Haha..i had it in my sig until that was disallowed. Feel free to spread it around.
  23. Registered User
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,168
    Answers
    2


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    From a bodybuilding perspective hamstring curls do not overload the hamstrings to the same extent as they are overloaded during hip extension movements. They also do not fully recruit all the hamstring muscles to the same degree, of which I need to dig up the EMG studies to substantialize this further.
    The major issue with hamstring curls for athletic is that they train the HS to flex the knee from a (in the case of lying) a position of major anterior pelvic tilt. This is quite the opposite of their function with regards to sprinting or running. Knee flexion is occuring from a position of a neutral pelvis and a slightly flexed (or flexing) hip. Anterior pelvic tilt + extended hip + knee flexion on a field is going to increase risk of HS injury.
    To play devil's advocate;
    - if you have a unilateral knee flexion machine you have accessibility of assessing (and then rectifying) any strength imbalance between both legs. You cannot do this with anything else as any posterior chain strength test would not necessarily identify hamstring imbalances rather than imbalances anywhere along the chain which would be subject to flexibility issues i.e. reciprocal inhibition from hip flexors effecting glute firing. Single leg deadlifts with a higher intensity will also lose efficacy due to balance.
    - if hamstring muscles are not recruited to the same degree i.e. semimem, semiten, biceps femoris then foot position can change to accommodate this.
    - increasing risk of injury is obviously an issue but I am arguing my case from bodybuilding only. Obviously a leg curl is going to have less transfer to most athletic events than the plethora of hip extension exercises.

    I can see why you would say it would be counterproductive for an athlete 'if' it increased the risk of injury but I am strictly talking about non-functional hypertrophy in this instance.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  24. Registered User
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0


    What do you guys think would be better adding RDL to first leg day which is monday, or to second which is thursday. Back is friday.
  25. Registered User
    bono1132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    413
    Answers
    0


    If your keeping stiff legged deads Monday then yeah do rdl Thursday
  26. Registered User
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bono1132
    If your keeping stiff legged deads Monday then yeah do rdl Thursday
    id switch stiff legged dead lifts for the RDL
  27. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,093
    Answers
    0


    Why get rid of stiff legged deads? great exercises imo.
  28. Registered User
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz
    Why get rid of stiff legged deads? great exercises imo.
    I was going to put stiff legged deads on Thursday. But scratch that im gonna leave that where it is and im gonna add rdl to Thursdays. Now should i keep both knee flex exercises or take one away for thursday.
  29. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    To play devil's advocate;
    - if you have a unilateral knee flexion machine you have accessibility of assessing (and then rectifying) any strength imbalance between both legs. You cannot do this with anything else as any posterior chain strength test would not necessarily identify hamstring imbalances rather than imbalances anywhere along the chain which would be subject to flexibility issues i.e. reciprocal inhibition from hip flexors effecting glute firing. Single leg deadlifts with a higher intensity will also lose efficacy due to balance.
    - if hamstring muscles are not recruited to the same degree i.e. semimem, semiten, biceps femoris then foot position can change to accommodate this.
    - increasing risk of injury is obviously an issue but I am arguing my case from bodybuilding only. Obviously a leg curl is going to have less transfer to most athletic events than the plethora of hip extension exercises.

    I can see why you would say it would be counterproductive for an athlete 'if' it increased the risk of injury but I am strictly talking about non-functional hypertrophy in this instance.
    I see what you are saying from an assessment standpoint, and that does make sense. As does the issue of functionality when strictly speaking about bodybuilding.

    Again (and i have to dig up some EMG studies) leg curls do not recruit or overload the 4 major hamstring muscles (including adductor magnus HS head) to the same extent as do closed kinetic chain hip extension movements.
  30. Registered User
    bono1132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    413
    Answers
    0


    Leg curls and such really mostly focus on the bicep portion of the hamstring correct? I think mostly would help with knee support and having that bulging middle muscle in the ham is about all it does
  31. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bono1132 View Post
    Leg curls and such really mostly focus on the bicep portion of the hamstring correct? I think mostly would help with knee support and having that bulging middle muscle in the ham is about all it does
    Seated leg curls predominantly work the short head of the biceps femoris (especially the way the seat is configured such that the pelvis is tilted to the posterior)

    Lying are a little better, and work mostly the short head of the BF and the semitendinosis.

    The problem is, the two large HS muscles are the BF long head and the semimembranosus. These are what give your HS that bulging middle muscle look. And these are poorly utilized during knee flexion.
  32. Registered User
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0


    Im gonna look to see if my gym had ghr thing. Or I'll do them on a pull bench haha.

    Do you think knee flex movements are even good to have in my schedule?
  33. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by gregg1494 View Post
    Im gonna look to see if my gym had ghr thing. Or I'll do them on a pull bench haha.

    Do you think knee flex movements are even good to have in my schedule?
    There's no reason to get rid of them. I think if you stick to knee flexion movements whereby the glute is activated to keep the hip extended they are a very valuable movement. These would be swiss ball leg curls, hamstring slides, etc. You can always do them with one leg or add bands to increase resistance.
  34. Registered User
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    There's no reason to get rid of them. I think if you stick to knee flexion movements whereby the glute is activated to keep the hip extended they are a very valuable movement. These would be swiss ball leg curls, hamstring slides, etc. You can always do them with one leg or add bands to increase resistance.
    I meant knee flex machines ( seated, standing, lying hs curls) should I keep any in my routine.
  35. Registered User
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,168
    Answers
    2


    I would prefer knee flexion exercises with hip extension as well in an ideal world.

    I have issues with supine swiss ball hip extensions with leg curl because even with a single leg the level of resistance is nowhere near as easy to adjust as a leg curl machine. Also, if you get a good knee flexion machine it will more appropriately match the strength curve of the exercise. I also like the ability to measure i.e. a weight machine the exact resistance to assess strength discrepancies between both limbs.

    Don't mistake my stance, I am still hugely in favour of hip extension movements with hamstring recruitment. I just don't necessarily see anything wrong with having a leg curl machine in a hypertrophy programme. To me it is similar to saying a bicep curl is counterproductive because you can just do chin ups. I know the leg curl machine has less carryover than this example but I am sure you understand the comparison.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Mass FX Mass Confusion
    By bi0hazurd in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 12:35 AM
  2. up your mass/true mass
    By ctd in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 08:45 AM
  3. Serious Mass VS Mass Tech!!!!
    By Swoldierboy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 04:46 PM
  4. Lean Mass/Extreme Mass Ingredients.
    By loofer in forum Custom Capsule
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
  5. Number 1 Mass Building Exercises??
    By yzinger in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 08:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in