hamstring mass exercises

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by bono1132 View Post
    Leg curls and such really mostly focus on the bicep portion of the hamstring correct? I think mostly would help with knee support and having that bulging middle muscle in the ham is about all it does
    Seated leg curls predominantly work the short head of the biceps femoris (especially the way the seat is configured such that the pelvis is tilted to the posterior)

Lying are a little better, and work mostly the short head of the BF and the semitendinosis.

The problem is, the two large HS muscles are the BF long head and the semimembranosus. These are what give your HS that bulging middle muscle look. And these are poorly utilized during knee flexion.

2. Im gonna look to see if my gym had ghr thing. Or I'll do them on a pull bench haha.

Do you think knee flex movements are even good to have in my schedule?
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by gregg1494 View Post
    Im gonna look to see if my gym had ghr thing. Or I'll do them on a pull bench haha.

Do you think knee flex movements are even good to have in my schedule?
    There's no reason to get rid of them. I think if you stick to knee flexion movements whereby the glute is activated to keep the hip extended they are a very valuable movement. These would be swiss ball leg curls, hamstring slides, etc. You can always do them with one leg or add bands to increase resistance.

4. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    There's no reason to get rid of them. I think if you stick to knee flexion movements whereby the glute is activated to keep the hip extended they are a very valuable movement. These would be swiss ball leg curls, hamstring slides, etc. You can always do them with one leg or add bands to increase resistance.
    I meant knee flex machines ( seated, standing, lying hs curls) should I keep any in my routine.

5. I would prefer knee flexion exercises with hip extension as well in an ideal world.

I have issues with supine swiss ball hip extensions with leg curl because even with a single leg the level of resistance is nowhere near as easy to adjust as a leg curl machine. Also, if you get a good knee flexion machine it will more appropriately match the strength curve of the exercise. I also like the ability to measure i.e. a weight machine the exact resistance to assess strength discrepancies between both limbs.

Don't mistake my stance, I am still hugely in favour of hip extension movements with hamstring recruitment. I just don't necessarily see anything wrong with having a leg curl machine in a hypertrophy programme. To me it is similar to saying a bicep curl is counterproductive because you can just do chin ups. I know the leg curl machine has less carryover than this example but I am sure you understand the comparison.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
    •   

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Mass FX Mass Confusion
    By bi0hazurd in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 01:35 AM
  2. up your mass/true mass
    By ctd in forum Supplements