Is there a good substitute for extension? - AnabolicMinds.com

Is there a good substitute for extension?

  1. DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    21268

    Reputation

    Is there a good substitute for extension?


    I have bad tendinitis in my right elbow and when I do extensions at any angle, seated, standing, lying, to the forehead, behind the head, ez bar, super curl bar, straight bar, dumbbells, I get pain. The pain comes and goes one week I'll be okay and the next my elbow feels like it's about to snap. This is very frustrating because I want to add 3" to my arms, but I can't get past 40 lbs on extensions because of the pain. I am already doing close grip bench and bench dips, I am about to buy a small dip station next month so I can do weighted dips. Is there anything I can substitute for extensions? I can only workout at home so I don't have access to machines.

  2. Doss's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    8628

    Reputation

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNNizhvyd4c

    You can make these as easy or as hard as you like. Not sure if they'll aggravate your problem, though.

    I'm not saying drop the bench dips, but when I first started lifting I did a lot of those and they tore up my shoulders and did nothing for my arms. If you're okay doing close grip bench, you might want to just do more of those and it's variations. Look into J-Presses (my favorite triceps exercise).

    Between close grip bench, J-Presses, dips and pushdowns, you should be able to make some gains without extensions. Good luck!
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
  3. DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    21268

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Doss View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNNizhvyd4c

    You can make these as easy or as hard as you like. Not sure if they'll aggravate your problem, though.

    I'm not saying drop the bench dips, but when I first started lifting I did a lot of those and they tore up my shoulders and did nothing for my arms. If you're okay doing close grip bench, you might want to just do more of those and it's variations. Look into J-Presses (my favorite triceps exercise).

    Between close grip bench, J-Presses, dips and pushdowns, you should be able to make some gains without extensions. Good luck!
    Cool thanks, I can't do pushdowns because I don't drive and the closest gym doesn't have a bus that goes by it. I'll probably just wait to do dips when I get the dip stand so I can do chest dips. What are J-presses?
    •   
       

  4. Doss's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    8628

    Reputation

    I didn't mention pushups with hands near together/near your sides. Great for a good burn after your heavier sets, and they can be done anywhere, anytime. Cheers.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
  5. PROness's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    1914

    Reputation

    Close grip bench press.


    It's a beautiful thing.
  6. Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,208
    Rep Power
    3370563

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    JM presses. Search youtube for variations, cant look at youtube on this comp so I cant link it through
  7. tigerdb2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    Rep Power
    6404

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz
    JM presses. Search youtube for variations, cant look at youtube on this comp so I cant link it through
    I have a feeling this will really aggrivate his tendonitis
  8. Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141050

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    I have a feeling this will really aggrivate his tendonitis
    The weird thing is that for some people, the opposite is true. I don't know what the source of their tendonitis is that dont allow them to do tricep pushdowns, dips, or ez bar skulls, but they can do JM presses just fine, but either way it's worked for some to change to JMs.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  9. Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,208
    Rep Power
    3370563

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    The reason I suggested JM presses, as Torobestia said, is that for some people, the usual pain associated with skull crushers doesn't occur during the JM. Not too sure why, but i would speculate that its because they don't place stress entirely on the elbows like skullcrushers do and instead allow the chest and shoulders to have a partial role.
  10. tigerdb2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    Rep Power
    6404

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz
    The reason I suggested JM presses, as Torobestia said, is that for some people, the usual pain associated with skull crushers doesn't occur during the JM. Not too sure why, but i would speculate that its because they don't place stress entirely on the elbows like skullcrushers do and instead allow the chest and shoulders to have a partial role.
    It may have something to do with the degree of flexion at the shoulder since the long head of the triceps also extends the shoulder. Interesting
  11. Bigcountry08's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    665
    Rep Power
    336128

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I used to have really bad elbows too, but I took about 2 years off from the gym to finish up college so everything repaired nicely over that time.

    A few little things that I used to do to curb the pain, and most of the time completely get rid of it would be to Always perform a major muscle group before doing triceps. I would lather my elbows and upper arms up with Bengay, and always where a long sleeve shirt or sweater. Never do bench dips, They put your arms at a to stressful of a position, and I would do extension moves last so the arms are more exhausted and you can't move as much weight so there is less stress on the joints.

    The last thing I would recommend, and you probably won't like this, is to maybe take a month off from doing triceps, Benching movements, and shoulder pressing movements. It won't kill you and it won't really impede any progress especially since, by the sounds of it, you aren't making much progress right now because of the pain in your elbows. Hope the advice helps.
  12. DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    21268

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry08 View Post
    I used to have really bad elbows too, but I took about 2 years off from the gym to finish up college so everything repaired nicely over that time.

    A few little things that I used to do to curb the pain, and most of the time completely get rid of it would be to Always perform a major muscle group before doing triceps. I would lather my elbows and upper arms up with Bengay, and always where a long sleeve shirt or sweater. Never do bench dips, They put your arms at a to stressful of a position, and I would do extension moves last so the arms are more exhausted and you can't move as much weight so there is less stress on the joints.

    The last thing I would recommend, and you probably won't like this, is to maybe take a month off from doing triceps, Benching movements, and shoulder pressing movements. It won't kill you and it won't really impede any progress especially since, by the sounds of it, you aren't making much progress right now because of the pain in your elbows. Hope the advice helps.
    Actually I just started making real progress, since I finally got my diet down, I can do all other tricep movements but extensions atleast with a close grip. I tried just to see extension with a wide grip, like right outside the shoulders grip and I still felt pressure but no where near if I go close. Not sure what this means and I don't know what will happen if I try more weight.
  13. Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141050

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Actually I just started making real progress, since I finally got my diet down, I can do all other tricep movements but extensions atleast with a close grip. I tried just to see extension with a wide grip, like right outside the shoulders grip and I still felt pressure but no where near if I go close. Not sure what this means and I don't know what will happen if I try more weight.
    Technically, you're doing them right if you're keeping your elbows tucked/in towards your body.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  14. DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    21268

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Technically, you're doing them right if you're keeping your elbows tucked/in towards your body.
    I tried them like this like a french press but with a super bar with a wide grip. My form looked like this, so I guess you could say I was doing sort of a wide grip french press. The more my grip goes in the more pressure I seem to feel.
  15. Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141050

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Ah, I completely misunderstood what you were saying.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  16. DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    21268

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Ah, I completely misunderstood what you were saying.
    Yeah and I noticed on a wide grip with the super bar, it prevents me from going all the way down and all the way up to lockout yeah I know lockout is bad, but I think most of the pressure in my elbows comes when my forearms are extended all the way down at the bottom and having a wide grip prevents me from going as low. I'm going to test this for about two weeks and than either stick with it or start using the jm press. Thanks for all the help guys.
  17. Oscar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    875
    Rep Power
    195194

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I've got the same problem, I just make sure to take some tylenol before I train it helps a little. I'd also suggest taking fish oil, glucosamine, cissus, and maybe wrapping your elbows I've also heard good things about IGF and MGF for tendon repair
  18. DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    21268

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I've got the same problem, I just make sure to take some tylenol before I train it helps a little. I'd also suggest taking fish oil, glucosamine, cissus, and maybe wrapping your elbows I've also heard good things about IGF and MGF for tendon repair
    I take fish oil. I tried wrapping the elbows same issue, but the probably is now gone if I stick to doing wide grip french presses. The range of motion I can do is less, but it's not painful at all.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. is there a good p-stanz substitute?
    By gymfean in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2012, 03:30 PM
  2. Is There A Good Supplement For Me To Use
    By BigbadJ in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 09:51 AM
  3. Is Rear Delt Row a good substitute for rear delt raises?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 05:50 PM
  4. Is this a good cycle for me?
    By Chiefb0008 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 02:20 PM
  5. is there a drug test for superdrol?
    By flava in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2005, 08:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in