Is TRX legit? - AnabolicMinds.com

Is TRX legit?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  173 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Is TRX legit?

Call me crazy, but I love functional strength exercises. Windshield wipers, landmines, weighted pull-ups; the more complex the movement sequence the better it is for building muscle...right?

I've seen the trainers at the gym use the TRX setup after they get done trying to rescue 50 year old men and women from the ravages of gravity and poor diet. Some of the core and shoulder exercises they are doing look fairly decent. Has anyone used a TRX setup and noticed any appreciable change in shoulder or core stability? I'm looking to drop some flow on the tactical trx for when I can't make it into the gym.
    “Only as a warrior can one withstand the path of knowledge. A warrior cannot complain or regret anything. His life is an endless challenge, and challenges cannot possibly be good or bad. Challenges are simply challenges.”

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

i do PT on the side and i use it all the time esp for warm ups, but if you want to get crazy with them you can, check out atomic pushups, sprinters start. and remember you are always working you core while doing anything on the trx where as a machine you are not.

also for core throw your feet in them and do crunches. or grab a bosu and do pushups/crunch.. hands on bosu feet in trx
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Yes it's more than legit, one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever bought. I use it with my clients regularly. It is extremely versatile and can be scaled to cater to the most de-conditioned individual all the way up to elite athletes all based on vector and line of pull. As the previous poster alluded to, you can also layer in various other overload techniques to dial up the level of complexity and intensity.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  173 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    Yes it's more than legit, one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever bought. I use it with my clients regularly. It is extremely versatile and can be scaled to cater to the most de-conditioned individual all the way up to elite athletes all based on vector and line of pull. As the previous poster alluded to, you can also layer in various other overload techniques to dial up the level of complexity and intensity.
    Cool, appreciate the feedback on it, I've been trying to heal a rotator cuff injury for the past 6 months and correct the imbalance. Bad form high weight barbell military presses are the recipe for chronic shoulder injuries.
    “Only as a warrior can one withstand the path of knowledge. A warrior cannot complain or regret anything. His life is an endless challenge, and challenges cannot possibly be good or bad. Challenges are simply challenges.”
  5. New Member

I use a TRX in my personal gym. I like it. I'm not sure what type of gains I've noticed, but it great for mixing your routine up.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I have a set that I take on my deployments. It's def a good fitness tool and handles it's purpose well.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  7. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by brenthebdog View Post
    Call me crazy, but I love functional strength exercises. Windshield wipers, landmines, weighted pull-ups; the more complex the movement sequence the better it is for building muscle...right?

I've seen the trainers at the gym use the TRX setup after they get done trying to rescue 50 year old men and women from the ravages of gravity and poor diet. Some of the core and shoulder exercises they are doing look fairly decent. Has anyone used a TRX setup and noticed any appreciable change in shoulder or core stability? I'm looking to drop some flow on the tactical trx for when I can't make it into the gym.
    No. Complex movements can often detract from muscle building potential and a lot of basic movements will be the most effective for hypertrophy. Squats, deadlifts, dips, pull ups are all good for muscle building purposes, all very simple.

Sometimes people use complex exercises without understanding why they are doing them. You get waves of people in the gym doing different push ups variations, unstable surface work, adding twists and bends onto their lunge exercises etc.

I do not necessarily view the TRX as useless, I just think people often misplace the purpose. I would be most inclined to use equipment like this with clients where other equipment was limited such as workouts on the move and not in the gym.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

i use some spare straps for my truck and bought some handles. so i paid pennies on the dollar when compared to trx. the idea is awesome, the cost is silly when you can do the same thing for less.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  173 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    i use some spare straps for my truck and bought some handles. so i paid pennies on the dollar when compared to trx. the idea is awesome, the cost is silly when you can do the same thing for less.
    Not a bad idea, webbing is webbing whether or not is has a TRX logo stitched to it doesn't really matter. Did you pick up any TRX training manuals or is there enough out there on youtube?
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by brenthebdog

Not a bad idea, webbing is webbing whether or not is has a TRX logo stitched to it doesn't really matter. Did you pick up any TRX training manuals or is there enough out there on youtube?
    Lol there's a ton on YouTube. There's even a video on how to make your own.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc

No. Complex movements can often detract from muscle building potential and a lot of basic movements will be the most effective for hypertrophy. Squats, deadlifts, dips, pull ups are all good for muscle building purposes, all very simple.

Sometimes people use complex exercises without understanding why they are doing them. You get waves of people in the gym doing different push ups variations, unstable surface work, adding twists and bends onto their lunge exercises etc.

I do not necessarily view the TRX as useless, I just think people often misplace the purpose. I would be most inclined to use equipment like this with clients where other equipment was limited such as workouts on the move and not in the gym.
    I wouldn't say that complex movements detract from muscle building potential at all. Are they optimal for hypertrophy? No, but they don't detract from it. Thats like saying a snatch or clean and jerk is a sub-par exercise because its complex. Most often any movement being done, that would be considered complex, would not have the goal of hypertrophy in mind so it's comparing apples to oranges. I do agree though that people often do exercises without any clue, but that's across the board. Single joint, multi joint, complex, simple I'd go as far as to say 80% of gym goers have no clue what they are doing, or why, at any given time and are only doing it because they saw so and so doing it.
  12. Diamond Member

That was poor wording on my part. What I mean is making an exercise more complicated is not the way to seek hypertrophy gains.

TRX versions allow movements which you cannot do otherwise but won't make hypertrophy routines because there is no need.

You won't get a bodybuilding coach dropping the bench press for a TRX suspended push up or a unilateral dumbbell stability ball press. This is an example of complicating an exercise but detracting from muscle building goals.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

I figured that's what you meant but just wanted to clarify.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is This Legit Or Spam
    By corsaking in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 06:48 PM
  2. Is this legit? Email from NP
    By CopyCat in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
  3. how far is a legit squat?
    By 84bandit in forum Powerlifting/Strongman