Too soon for 5/3/1

bigeddyv

bigeddyv

Awards
Hi all, first post here.
I've recently come in to lifting and have been using a 5x5 routine for about 6-8 weeks now. I've been looking for more inspiration everywhere, reading various books (apart from wendler) articles and forum posts to try and find a good programme to work to. I do know that this isn't an overnight transformation but I want to see if there's something out there that will make me feel more satisfied whilst lifting and following...
I'm currently lifting a relatively small amount compared to a lot of you on here!:
Squat 60kg
Bench 55kg
Overhead press (seated) 47.5kg (seem to be struggling slightly here now)
barbell rows 45kg
dead lift 70kg.
Would it be too soon for me to invest in the wendler book and take on that routine?
Thanks in advance guys
(Apologies if this isn't the relevant area)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The weight lifted is irrelevant. How long have you been training?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
TBH your OHP is rather good, considering you can only bench about 8kg more. So good work.

bigeddyv

bigeddyv

Awards
Rodja - only started properly about 8 weeks ago. I have already noticed a significant improvement to what I can lift and size as well. But after failing a 5th set of OHP sort of chipped at my confidence for it so looked at other programmes/techniques.

Jiiggzz - thanks dude. As stated above, after failing the set of 5 reps, chipped at my confidence for it. TBH I'm not entirely sure where I should be at or what I should be aiming for in a real sense. I've been told I should be aiming for around couple hundred lb's for each exercise but nothing solid.

I assume there re no real set goals as everyone is different?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja - only started properly about 8 weeks ago. I have already noticed a significant improvement to what I can lift and size as well. But after failing a 5th set of OHP sort of chipped at my confidence for it so looked at other programmes/techniques.Jiiggzz - thanks dude. As stated above, after failing the set of 5 reps, chipped at my confidence for it. TBH I'm not entirely sure where I should be at or what I should be aiming for in a real sense. I've been told I should be aiming for around couple hundred lb's for each exercise but nothing solid. I assume there re no real set goals as everyone is different?
5/3/1 wouldn't be a bad option, but do two things: follow the program to the letter (buy the book, trust me) and start with the "Boring, But Big" assistance template. After 3-4 months of this template, change to either Triumvirate or Periodization Bible.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Rodja - only started properly about 8 weeks ago. I have already noticed a significant improvement to what I can lift and size as well. But after failing a 5th set of OHP sort of chipped at my confidence for it so looked at other programmes/techniques.

Jiiggzz - thanks dude. As stated above, after failing the set of 5 reps, chipped at my confidence for it. TBH I'm not entirely sure where I should be at or what I should be aiming for in a real sense. I've been told I should be aiming for around couple hundred lb's for each exercise but nothing solid.

I assume there re no real set goals as everyone is different?
Just start where you the templates tell you. I.e. at 80% of your 90% of your 1RM haha You'll understand if you buy the 5/3/1 book. You will progress if you follow the template to the letter considering how well programmed 5/3/1 is. The only way you can really falter on it is if your lacking good form or if you don't add in appropriate assistance work.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was able to buy the ebook version for 15 bucks I think. it's an easy read

bigeddyv

bigeddyv

Awards
Thanks guys. I'm going to invest in the book. Yeah, I've read up quite a bit on it and not too sure what the %'s mean! I could probably have a good guess though haha.
Thanks again, hopefully you'll hear from me again in the future and ill be preaching the book and programme with my results!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
5/3/1 is great, but your gains will be much slower on it than need be. You're fresh and new, take advantage of that. 5/3/1 is all about slow and steady gains.

I recommend a slightly modified version of Starting Strength (I swap out Pendlay rows for regular bent over rows, and do Pendlay's once in a while when I do the routine). 5 pound increase on the big lifts every workout, 2.5 on OH press and bench, means huge strength gains with minimal stalling. You basically work each body part 2-3 times per week, so over time the weight really goes up. I know people who have done it for over a year with constant gains, rarely reseting. It's for all levels of trainees, don't let the name of it get you. It gets hard as h3ll...

I actually recommend buying both books though (Starting Strength and the latest release of Wendler's 5/3/1). Tons of great info in both.