Workout routine critique

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Workout routine critique

I have been doing this routine for a few months now and am looking for advice and tweaks
    that could improve my results.
    Routine:
    Monday-biceps and shoulders
    either standing military press, seated smith machine press, or dumbbell Arnold press for 3 sets of 12 and final set being 20.
    Side lateral raise 3x20
    Front raise 3x20
    Barbel shrugs 4x15
    Reverse flys 3x20
    Then burnout with big 33s which are 11 side lateral raise 11 front raise and 11 standing military press
    Biceps
    Standing curls 4x8
    Incline curls 3x15
    Hammer curls 4x8
    Superset preacher curl 10 wide grip 10 close grip
    Straight bar curl 3x15
    Concentration curls 3x15

Tuesday-legs
    Squats 6x8 then I go light 2x15
    Barbel lunges 3x8
    Hack squats 4x10
    Leg extension 15-12-8-6
    Leg curls 15-12-8-6
    Calves 5x25

Wed chest/tri
    Bench 10-6-4-2-10
    Floor press 4x6
    Incline 4x8
    Dips 3x20
    Close grip press 3x15
    Flies 3x15
    Skull crusher 3x20
    Rope extension 3xburnout

Thurs cardio/abs/forearms

Fri back
    Chinups 4xburnout
    Reverse wide grip pull down 3x15
    Rows 3x12
    Bent rows 3x20
    T bar rows 3x15
    3xBurn out w Pullups holding at top

Sat Olympic day
    Deadlifts 6x6
    Power cleans 5x5
    Extra calve work if I can still see straight

Sun off

I also incorporate rest pause and fst-7 into my routine. I know some people would say I'm overtraining but I have seen good results. I also know I far from know everything and would like to know what you guys think.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

First impressions is it seems a bit cluttered and not thought out too well. As far as details you are including way too much bicep work 6 exercises on just biceps alone is a bit overkill considering your doing 6 exercises on your leg day. Also, personally I have never been a fan of doing biceps on the same day as shoulders due to the nature of the biceps brachii tendon origin. Moving on in the order of your days, legs being next. I would ditch the hack squat and include something like good mornings or RDLs. I would also stay away from heavy leg extensions/curls (as seen in the pyramid set) based on the biomechanics of the motion, the movement of the tibia relative to the femur when the load is placed distally. If your going to do them keep them light and focus on TUT not weight. Next chest and triceps. Your rep scheme on bench is kinda funky, I know its a pyramid set but with the set after your 2RM being a 10 rep set, and mention of FST-7, I am assuming your goals are hypertrophy based. Regardless, for strength or hypertrophy your rep scheme could be set up a bit better. Moving on, I would alternate floor press and close-grip, wouldn't do them in the same day you've got 3 sagital presses stacked on each other only separated by one transverse press (incline). Next, not a huge fan of dips, I know most will argue this but based on the anatomy of the shoulder loaded hyperextension isn't the most sound method to achieve shoulder flexion and elbow extension but thats up to you. Next, your isolation work on tricep/bicep is at a ratio of 1:3, no bueno. On to back, Horizontal shoulder extension is almost non existent, which is asking for postural issues/injuries. You also have 3 sagital pulls stacked on each other (rows bent-over rows, t-bar rows). If your going to design your own program read up a little on kinesiology and understand the basics of the planes of motion. This will help you optimize your time in the gym and ensure that you keep your joints as healthy as possible.

edit: If I missed anything I'm sure others will chime in as well.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

NYiron, thanks a lot for you helpful response. You are right about my routine being sparadic. What type of split would you recommend? I use to do the whole push pull thing but I felt that my lagging bis needed an extra day. On leg day I will throw out hacks, would stiff legged deads be a good supplement? Also I forgot to add I do an additional chest burnout on my last set on the fly machine. Either FST-7 or 2 sets of 25-30. I will also alternate floor press and close grip on alternate weeks. Lastly, do you think I'm over doing it as a whole with my routine? Sorry for all the questions man I just want to keep growing ****it.
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Answers

i can tell just by your routine that you arnt working hard enough on your sets. its one thing to train for hypertrophy, but if youre able to do 5 sets of flat bench, 4 sets floor, 4 sets incline, close grip benching, and dips all in one day, youre doing it way too light

first ask yourself are you training for hypertrophy, size, or weight loss. dont be afraid to rip a professional made routine. take a 5x5 and make it yours, or a 5/3/1 routine and make it your own
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks for your reply thunderhumper. I do feel like I work hard on every set, it's just that my lifts are significantly lighter on my latter lifts. I can get 275x8 on flat bench fresh but by the time I do 4 sets on that 4 on floor press and 4 on incline and I get to close grip I can barely rep out 135 lol. Also it might be that I lift solo and I can't truly reach failure on each set, but I definitely try to go as close as I can. As far as professional routines I was actually thinking about doggcrap. Any thoughts on that? I can't say I have a particular goal, I just want to keep getting bigger and stronger. Though that might sound a little naive.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

I'm in agreement with NYiron on this.

Also, I'm not sure I see the point of your olympic day. If you are going to do olympics, you should do them when you are fresh, which would be first in the week. Second, doing 36 reps of deadlifts prior to power cleans is going to leave you fatigued, throw off your clean technique and the amount of power you can do, and ultimately diminish what you get out of the exercise.

If anything, you might want to work like this:
    Power cleans 5 x 1
    Dead lift 3 x 3
    Front squat 3 x 5

Br
  7. On my grind
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderHumper View Post
    i can tell just by your routine that you arnt working hard enough on your sets. its one thing to train for hypertrophy, but if youre able to do 5 sets of flat bench, 4 sets floor, 4 sets incline, close grip benching, and dips all in one day, youre doing it way too light

first ask yourself are you training for hypertrophy, size, or weight loss. dont be afraid to rip a professional made routine. take a 5x5 and make it yours, or a 5/3/1 routine and make it your own
    Take a look at Mountain Dog Diet training done by John Meadows.

He makes programs for training and 15 sets on any given day is the norm!
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Critique my workout routine
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 10:13 AM
  2. Critique my 1 month get in shape workout routine
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-31-2010, 08:57 AM
  3. please critique my workout routine
    By keater824 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
  4. Workout routine critique
    By Ectofighter in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 08:13 PM
  5. Can someone critique my Workout Routine?
    By camo1131 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 09:18 AM