Is training each muscle once per week effective ?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.64%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

Is training each muscle once per week effective ?

Is training each muscle once per week effective for natural bodybuilders?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.95%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioAnimal
    If you train it right, yes
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.64%

Quote Originally Posted by uvawahoowa View Post
    but training twice instead of once with apropriated muscle recovery it's probably better..
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.48%

A lot of variables that play into that statement. Just a general answer for the question, yes it can be done and it can be more than enough depending on how you go about it.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.48%

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioAnimal

but training twice instead of once with apropriated muscle recovery it's probably better..
    Not necessarily, less is often more. You don't grow in the gym you grow when you eat and follow it with sufficient rest. Don't fall into that hole, that if I train chest 3 times a week it'll grow three times as much.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    Not necessarily, less is often more. You don't grow in the gym you grow when you eat and follow it with sufficient rest. Don't fall into that hole, that if I train chest 3 times a week it'll grow three times as much.
    Exactly. That said, for bodybuilders (specially for beginners) a basic workout with Compound movements would be best. It would be best for them to focus on movements and not on muscle groups until they have managed to master the basics, along with proper dieting and rest.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.89%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

Things such as intensity, frequency, volume, and recovery are all interrelated in a somewhat complex, but not overly so, relationship. Simply stated, each probably has a range where it can be "sufficient," "optimal," and "too much."

Working something once a week? Sure, it's definitely sufficient. Is it optimal? Probably not. But would working it out 3-5 times a week be beneficial? Well, it depends on what muscle group to be frank. Using NY's example, chest, it'd probably be too much. (The catch is that something like the hamstrings and certain back muscle groups can be work very frequently depending on your volume and intensity).
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.64%

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    yeah I know that's why I said with apropriated muscle recovery, but still not sure which of them is the best way, well let's consider they're both good ways
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.6%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

i always change it up. sometimes i do everything twice a week then ill go back to once a week, then 5x5, then DC...etc main point is muscle confusion
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.13%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I have "basic" requirements each week. - Since I powerlift, everything is dedicated to my Squat, Bench and Deadlift. I have to ask myself what needs the most attention, and through what type of training.

Typically, I use the Wendler 5/3/1 approach, and will vary my accessory work based on what needs accomplished.

When I was a bodybuilder, my best physical improvements were done by hitting each muscle multiple times per week with low volume, albeit heavy weight. - Heavy meaning in the range of 5-7 reps. Honestly, it was an easy workout, but it burned me out FAST. I couldn't do it for an extended period of time (over 8 weeks). Each workout involved a different exercise for the muscle. I would do each muscle 3x/wk. 6 sets in total (2 warmup, 4 working) for each muscle worked.

One muscle per workout, once a week is fine, but it's typically regarded as a beginners protocol.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.73%

Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    i always change it up. sometimes i do everything twice a week then ill go back to once a week, then 5x5, then DC...etc main point is muscle confusion
    How often do you switch it up? I just got done doing Jim Stoppani's 12 week shortcut to size program. Now I'm going to try my own thing for a bit hitting everything twice a week. Should I do that for 4 weeks or more or less? Whenever I've kinda run my own program I've switched it up about every month.
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.13%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post
    How often do you switch it up? I just got done doing Jim Stoppani's 12 week shortcut to size program. Now I'm going to try my own thing for a bit hitting everything twice a week. Should I do that for 4 weeks or more or less? Whenever I've kinda run my own program I've switched it up about every month.
    I would personally give a program no less than eight weeks, unless it's significantly difficult on your joints and/or recovery.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.73%

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    I would personally give a program no less than eight weeks, unless it's significantly difficult on your joints and/or recovery.
    Thanks for the quick reply, I'll give 8 weeks a shot. The 12 week program I just got done I saw really impressive gains but they switched up reps every week.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.13%

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll give 8 weeks a shot. The 12 week program I just got done I saw really impressive gains but they switched up reps every week.
    NP.

Believe it or not, I actually had great size gains doing Wendler's 5/3/1 mixed with DC for accessory work. My lifts skyrocketed and my size gains, even on a somewhat meager caloric surplus were pretty exceptional. - Look into those if you never have.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.6%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

4-8 weeks depending on the routine. 5x5 kills me mentally so i go no longer than 4 with that
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.15%

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    I don't disagree with this, but I just want to addend it a little.

I would say 8-12 weeks, given that the stimuli is not the exact same during this time course. 3-4 weeks appears to be the optimal biological window for integrating the training response. With this time course you have the greatest potential to maintain the cumulative effects of training (i.e.: gains in strength, power, hypertrophy, etc.); however, anything beyond 5-6 weeks brings about accommodation and stagnation (cease of gains, a trend toward losing gains, and boredom/loss of motivation). If you look at most successful programs, you'll notice they run in 3 week cycles. Russian block periodization uses 3-4 week blocks of training for specific goals, west side conjugate runs in 3 week cycles using the same exercise for the dynamic work, Wendler's 531 that goes in 3 week cycles, etc.

Br
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.07%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioAnimal View Post
    If you lift with intensity and really crush the muscle you are lifting that day you can get great results. If you eat properly, you should consider training each muscle group twice a week. I am a huge fan of compound lifts accompanied by support work. I would recommend a split like this for you:

-Chest and Bis
    -Back and Tris
    -Legs
    -rest
    -shoulders and tris
    -Back and Deadlifts
    -Chest and Bis
    -rest

How long do you lift for? How many exercises are you usually doing per muscle group?

-Justin M.
    NLA Performance: The Choice of Champions
    www.nlaperformance.com
    facebook.com/nlaperformance.com
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.05%

Quote Originally Posted by uvawahoowa View Post
    Yep its not about what plan you choose its how you go about it. Intesity/recovery etc

Similar Forum Threads

1. Question about training each bodypart once a week
    By survey in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 11:02 PM
  2. How often is everyone training a muscle group per work?
    By seccsi in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 10:24 PM
  3. each muscle twice a week or one?
    By reils88 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 10:45 PM
  4. Hitting each muscle group once per week
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2008, 04:40 PM
  5. Lifting Once Per Week...