When is too much too much per workout session? - AnabolicMinds.com

When is too much too much per workout session?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  171 lbs.

When is too much too much per workout session?

Newbie here who started strength training the first week of June 2012 after a 20year absence from weights. Focused on intense cardio the previous decade and a half. Truly enjoy the current experience strength training but appears I may be overtraining.

How many different stations are appropriate per workout session? I am averaging 12 up to 14. 3 sets each of 6-8reps. Occasionally, I will do another partial set at each station of 1-3 reps at a much higher weight to see where I fatigue. Too much?

Is it appropriate to do duplicates or triplicates of the same exercise type per workout if adjustments are made to grip and angle of attack?
    For example, There are three different seated row machines at my gym. Each has a different grip placement and angle of movement compared to the other. I use all three in the same workout session but do insert other exercises in-between. Example being row#1, then 3 other machines, row #2, then 3 other machines. Too much? Same with chest press.-different grips and movement angle.

Am at the point where I feel tight but not excessively sore as when I started.(I did much less reps and stations then) Have built up gradually but always testing/working with weight increments.

Typically do CH/SH/Tr, rest, Legs/Back/Bicep, Rest and repeat again but take two days off. Appears as CHSHTRWorkout/Rest/LBBicepWorkout/Rest/CHSHTRWorkout/Rest/LBBicepWorkout/Rest/Rest and then repeat.

Again, is this too much?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

too much is too much for you on that day, for your goals, for your work capacity, for your stress level, for you recovery ability, etc.

its very individualized. its very hard to say till after the fact. generally i find 15-25 reps at 70-90% of a max are plenty for a movement/muscle.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.

I know I've over-trained when i feel tired, sleepy and don't want to workout the following days. (you can over-train your Central nervous system also). You'll know when our over-training. Not seeing results its not a sole indicator for over-training.
    I wont retrain a muscle if by the third day it still hurts to flex. As long as your eating enough you should be fine with your current routine, though a workout plan with less reps and more intensity (heavier weights with good from) might prove better results.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by beastybean View Post
    I know I've over-trained when i feel tired, sleepy and don't want to workout the following days. (you can over-train your Central nervous system also). You'll know when our over-training. Not seeing results its not a sole indicator for over-training.
    I wont retrain a muscle if by the third day it still hurts to flex. As long as your eating enough you should be fine with your current routine, though a workout plan with less reps and more intensity (heavier weights with good from) might prove better results.
    You can only ever over-train your CNS
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    You can only ever over-train your CNS
    Thank you! Also, it is not something that happens from one extended session. It takes months to truly overtrain.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  171 lbs.

Thank you gentlemen. Much food for thought. Speaking of which...

I note lifting has made me ravenous for red meat which I rarely ate in my cardio era. Appropriate time to begin protein powder to avoid the sat. fats in red meat? Or is use more for advanced lifters?

NB: I really have been lifting hard(for me) since I transitioned out of the knowing my limits stage.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by UCSMiami View Post

I note lifting has made me ravenous for red meat which I rarely ate in my cardio era. Appropriate time to begin protein powder to avoid the sat. fats in red meat? Or is use more for advanced lifters?

NB: I really have been lifting hard(for me) since I transitioned out of the knowing my limits stage.
    Sat. Fat is not the enemy, it assists in testosterone production. Protien powders can be taken by anyone, its really no different than the protein found in whole foods.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Eat a steak; they're good for you.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Eat a steak with all its glorious fat; they're good for you.
    *fixed*
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

UCS, what are you are trying to get out of strength training?

It sounds from your description that of the workout that you are still in the novelty stage, which most people are in the first time they start strength training without any real guidance. You're enjoying the process, increasing the weights, the soreness and strength, etc. This is all fine, and a good thing, but eventually you will start to plateau, or become bored or stagnant, and when that happens, it will be time to start thinking about some outcome goals. I suggest you start thinking about them, and then you can start to tailor your workout toward those goals, and with that it will answer questions regarding how much how often how hard.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  171 lbs.

^^
    I thought I had low-T due to feeling a bit laggardly and thought to lift weights. I started the day bloodwork was drawn. My T-levels are satisfactory but SHBG is high. I stayed with the strength training for the reasons you mention.-process enjoyment, positive rush during and post-workout, challenge of increasing weightage. Have not considered ultimate goals other than seeing if I can maintain previous workout week with an extra rep or nudge up the next increment.

I am only doing this for general health. Nothing else is planned.

NB: I suddenly have the feeling I entered a forum for serious trainers only. Pardon me if I fit the Falling Quality of New Members stereotype.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Strength training is a great form of activity, and in my professional opinion, something that everyone needs to do in one fashion or another for health. The loss of muscular power also plays a huge role in the loss of function and hip fractures in the elderly.

So with health in mind, you might want to think about movement quality outside of the gym. As such, the best advice I can give you at this point is to balance your work over the course of several workouts.

What I mean by this is for every push exercise you will need a pull exercise.
    Each chest press should be balanced with a form of bent over (or cable row)
    Each chest fly should be balanced with a rear delt movement
    Each over head press should be balanced with a pull up (or pull down movement)
    Each lateral raise should be balanced by a straight arm shoulder extension movement (cable or dumbbell)
    Each spinal flexion (crunch) some sort of spinal extension (back extension)

For the lower body, your degree of hip extension (deadlifts, glute kicks, etc.) should be greater to the amount of knee extension movements
    And your hip extension should be greater than hip flexion (leg lifts, etc.)
    Also, you should try to perform at least one form of bridge or anti-rotation movement per workout.

If you do this, and if your strength gains in each category stay similar, then you will be in great shape outside of the gym as far as movement quality, flexibility, and risk of injury are concerned.

Br
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

^^
    NB: I suddenly have the feeling I entered a forum for serious trainers only. Pardon me if I fit the Falling Quality of New Members stereotype.
    I think what you'll discover is that only people serious in training are the ones who stay around. People join AM all the time but barely post more than 100 times, if that. Only the people serious about what they do will remain and are often the only ones to give advice.

But that by no means suggests that we encourage only serious or educated members to participate in discussion, we all had to learn the things we know at some point in time and so we encourage learning in whatever context it may be learned.

Also, health training is a goal, provided you know what the outcome is. an improved cardiovascular system? More lean muscle mass? Less bodyfat? improved flexibility, ROM etc. Whatever it is, Forum help should only supplement your own research because not everyone has the same goals as you or their knowledge may be based off popular bodybuilding or strength training myths.

Follow ZiRs advice; plan out some goals and work out strategies that will take you there
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  171 lbs.

Still here folks. Six months as of today. Gaining strength & definition. No injuries or pain. Only a bit of tightness. Still in the learning stage as most of what I work with is on equipment-Hammer, Life Fitness, etc Only dumbbells for curls involve actual free weights without aids.

Adjusted the routine in terms of repetitions of the same groups. Added split days and cardio at the end of each session. Still challenging and interesting. Habit forming.

I no longer sense any of the health concerns I had months ago which motivated me to begin working with weights. Continue now with the program because it feels good. Result of endomorphin release I am guessing.

Let me know when I am out of the novelty stage.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is one coffee too much??
    By JoeySon in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 05:41 PM
  2. Is 2X/WK Too Much?
    By swb311 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 01:23 PM
  3. IS MY PCT TOO MUCH?
    By JOHN BROVO in forum Anabolics