Will doing reverse grip lying extensions help with elbow pain?

  1. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Will doing reverse grip lying extensions help with elbow pain?


    Every time I do extensions, whether I warm up or not, whether lying or standing I get pain in my elbows. Will doing them reverse grip help and will they build my triceps as effectively?

  2. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428710
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.78%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Sounds like tendonitis...thought about getting Fat Gripz and maybe doing some Zottman Curls to help with it? I have heard people alleviate their tendonitis like this at times
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  3. Elite Member
    superbeast668's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,140
    Rep Power
    2907560
    Level
    81
    Lv. Percent
    42.94%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    try doing them off of an incline or a decline board. its not quite as painful on a decline for me. also, make sure you're not locking your elbows, i caught my self doing that and it made it hurt 10 times worse. also try wrapping them up. i put a tight wrap/sleeve on and it helps a good bit.
    I'm just a dude chasing a dream
    •   
       

  4. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    438364
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    96.68%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Isolation movements kill my joints. Close grip BP's also work well as a mass builder.

    Risk-reward...
  5. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by superbeast668 View Post
    try doing them off of an incline or a decline board. its not quite as painful on a decline for me. also, make sure you're not locking your elbows, i caught my self doing that and it made it hurt 10 times worse. also try wrapping them up. i put a tight wrap/sleeve on and it helps a good bit.
    I have wraps still same issue and I tried not locking them sill same issue, in fact it hurts lowering the weight and raising it, but I did answer my own question, for the most part the pain is gone with a reverse grip. I had to lower the weight of course and using the ez bar I have to bring my hands in real close which feels awkward, because if I put my hands where they're suppose to go where the bend is, as I lower the bar, it rotates and it moves the bend part off of my palms and onto my thumbs. So I fixed the problem but I either need to get a better ez bar or do them standing with the straight bar because if I try to do them lying with the straight bar, the bar will hit my bed, its too long. But are extensions as effect reverse grip?
  6. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Sounds like tendonitis...thought about getting Fat Gripz and maybe doing some Zottman Curls to help with it? I have heard people alleviate their tendonitis like this at times
    The trouble is I've always had issues with extensions.
  7. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,720
    Rep Power
    5425017
    Level
    85
    Lv. Percent
    39.61%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting Authority

    Then avoid them, at least until you work out what the problem is. Pain should never be "worked through", especially if its joint based.
  8. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Then avoid them, at least until you work out what the problem is. Pain should never be "worked through", especially if its joint based.
    Yeah I agree, but I can do them reverse griped just fine, I wonder how they would feel with a "super curl bar", but apparently I have to order one online just to see since no place around seems to carry it.
  9. Professional Member
    tnubs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,248
    Rep Power
    23620
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    37.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Ever tried doing them with dumbbells? Or set the cable pulley high and face away from it and you can do cable skullcrushers. Both feel a lot better for me. I cant even play with bar skullcrushers or overhead extensions with a bar without my elbows wanting to explode. I usually just do dips tho.
    CELTIC LABS REP
  10. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    Ever tried doing them with dumbbells? Or set the cable pulley high and face away from it and you can do cable skullcrushers. Both feel a lot better for me. I cant even play with bar skullcrushers or overhead extensions with a bar without my elbows wanting to explode. I usually just do dips tho.
    I don't have access to a gym right now, well I sort of do but I'd have to rely on my grandmom to take me since I don't have a car.
  11. Professional Member
    tnubs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,248
    Rep Power
    23620
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    37.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I don't have access to a gym right now, well I sort of do but I'd have to rely on my grandmom to take me since I don't have a car.

    Theres also a way to do them bodyweight. Set a bar about nipple height and face it. Grab it like your gonna do a pushup off of it but only bend your elbows. U can adjust height to make it more difficult.
    CELTIC LABS REP
  12. Diamond Member
    FL3X MAGNUM's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,424
    Rep Power
    4289816
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD
    Every time I do extensions, whether I warm up or not, whether lying or standing I get pain in my elbows. Will doing them reverse grip help and will they build my triceps as effectively?
    Lying tri extensions are very overrated IMO. I have the same pain, and I actually have stopped doing that workout for at least a year now and still developing my triceps nicely.
    I would say skip the movement and try out press downs, dips, and close grip smith press (done at the end to go lighter and stave off elbow pain).
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  13. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    Lying tri extensions are very overrated IMO. I have the same pain, and I actually have stopped doing that workout for at least a year now and still developing my triceps nicely.
    I would say skip the movement and try out press downs, dips, and close grip smith press (done at the end to go lighter and stave off elbow pain).
    I only have access to free weights atm.
  14. Diamond Member
    FL3X MAGNUM's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,424
    Rep Power
    4289816
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD
    I only have access to free weights atm.
    Bench dips, close grip floor press, etc etc.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  15. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    Bench dips, close grip floor press, etc etc.
    Yeah I was going to try extensions with a super curl bar and I do, do bench dips. Floor press would be a pain to do, since I'd have to move so much stuff outside of my room to have room. I noticed with a grip with my palms facing away from me, my elbows stick out more and with a grip with my palms facing me, my elbows want to stick in more and not flare out. I have long forearms so some movements are awkward for me. I have a 6' 4" wing span.
  16. New Member
    wrathchild281's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    1997
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    55.31%

    not really i recommend the rope pushdowns
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Help With Arm Pain
    By War Machine in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 07:21 PM
  2. Does Taking Glucosamine Help With Joint Pain
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 12:32 AM
  3. Help with wrist pain
    By LCSULLA in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 01:00 PM
  4. Anyone with elbow/pain.. tendonitis?
    By Big H in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 09:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in