Not sure on what the next step to take is for strength training.

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
I've slowly but surely realized that 5/3/1 while on LG is over training me. And a I'm not able to do a 4 day split I would like to change it altogether. I've thought about going back to SS as I feel like I left it too early even though I passed the regular standard for the routine. My stats are as follows. Squat 335x1 bench 300x1 deadlift 450x1 press 175x1. I want a routine that will regularly have me squatting as it is my weakest movement and is severely lagging. I also want to start doing the lowbar squat as I have read that it activates the hamstring more which is my sticking muscle in the deadlift (I was doing highbar ATG before) also the lowbar allows for higher number squats. I have read about the Texas method, and Madcow. And I am asking for advice on which to do next. SS again? Texas? MC? I need something that can work with the LG diet

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've slowly but surely realized that 5/3/1 while on LG is over training me. And a I'm not able to do a 4 day split I would like to change it altogether. I've thought about going back to SS as I feel like I left it too early even though I passed the regular standard for the routine. My stats are as follows. Squat 335x1 bench 300x1 deadlift 450x1 press 175x1. I want a routine that will regularly have me squatting as it is my weakest movement and is severely lagging. I also want to start doing the lowbar squat as I have read that it activates the hamstring more which is my sticking muscle in the deadlift (I was doing highbar ATG before) also the lowbar allows for higher number squats. I have read about the Texas method, and Madcow. And I am asking for advice on which to do next. SS again? Texas? MC? I need something that can work with the LG diet
How do you know you're overtraining? Most the time when people say that they aren't really overtraining at all, and I have never really seen people overtrain on 5/3/1 when performed as written.

My belief is "there's no such thing as overtraining, only undereating."

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can assure you that if you're following the template properly that you're not overtraining on 5/3/1. It's pretty damn hard to overtraing when you deload every 4th week. You can do IF on any template.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed with these responses.

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
I'm doing a caloric deficit on Leangains. So I am under eating. But I'm currently always in a state of DOMS feel loss of appetite, insomnia, and progress is slow at best, I find myself struggling with weights that I know I can handle. I know 5/3/1 is a slow routine but I feel like I can be making better gains on a more intermediate routine and that I am not advanced enough for 5/3/1 yet. Also LG advocates a 3 day split and it has been great for me so I would rather not play with it. Taking 3 days of rest this weekend due to a schedule shift and I wanna start a new routine on tuesday

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm doing a caloric deficit on Leangains. So I am under eating. But I'm currently always in a state of DOMS feel loss of appetite, insomnia, and progress is slow at best, I find myself struggling with weights that I know I can handle. I know 5/3/1 is a slow routine but I feel like I can be making better gains on a more intermediate routine and that I am not advanced enough for 5/3/1 yet. Also LG advocates a 3 day split and it has been great for me so I would rather not play with it. Taking 3 days of rest this weekend due to a schedule shift and I wanna start a new routine on tuesday
Have you read the book? 5/3/1 is normally thought to be a beginners/intermediate routine.....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've done full conjugate periodization while on IF. If you're undereating, that's going to be detrimental to your gains and expecting to get stronger while in a caloric deficit is dicey, at best. Your recovery is bad because of the lack of substrate that you're providing your body.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with all the reponses. If its your recovery that is suffering, then its best first to look at your recovery strategies before blaing the exercise programme. Especially one as well programmed as 5/3/1.

How much are you currently eating? And how much rest are you getting? Also DOMS doesnt equate to overtraining; it is thought to stem from mirco-tissue damage and inflammation which is usually caused from the eccentric part of a lift. If you have a longer TUT on the eccentric phase of the lift then chances are you will feel sore the next day (typically after 12hours or so). How you recover from this depends on on your diet first and foremost, then on sleep and rest periods.