trying to gain mass and get bigger arms!

  1. Registered User
    lund94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    27

    Been working out for almost 3 years. I was wondering if there were more arm workouts/ideas i should know about to look forward and put more of a mass on. How many times per week? How many sets/reps? And etc..

  2. Registered User
    uvawahoowa's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Power
    31239

    Quote Originally Posted by lund94
    Been working out for almost 3 years. I was wondering if there were more arm workouts/ideas i should know about to look forward and put more of a mass on. How many times per week? How many sets/reps? And etc..
    Squats and deads. Heavy.

    Your welcome.
  3. Registered User
    SLW2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    614
    Rep Power
    134367

    Quote Originally Posted by uvawahoowa View Post
    Squats and deads. Heavy.

    Your welcome.
    This^^^

    Seriously. You don't need to isolate your arms. Get you squat, dead, and bench press up and your arms will grow. Have you ever seen someone who can squat and pull 500lbs and bench press 300 that have small arms? No. If you are strong on the big three you will be big all over.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    lund94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    27

    Thanks! Lets see how it goes for the next couple of weeks.
  5. Registered User
    diezel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    4289

    As was mentioned about gaining overall mass will be most beneficial. Much of this will be related your diet as well. Do you know about how many calories you're getting in? Do you track calories, muscle girth and strength increases?
  6. Registered User
    lund94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by diezel
    As was mentioned about gaining overall mass will be most beneficial. Much of this will be related your diet as well. Do you know about how many calories you're getting in? Do you track calories, muscle girth and strength increases?
    Yeah i was just about to reply on the thread asking about how much to take in for calories. How much should i eat?
  7. Registered User
    SLW2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    614
    Rep Power
    134367

    Quote Originally Posted by lund94 View Post
    Yeah i was just about to reply on the thread asking about how much to take in for calories. How much should i eat?
    Google TDEE calculator and fill in with your info. Then eat 500 cals over that number.
  8. Registered User
    lund94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by SLW2

    Google TDEE calculator and fill in with your info. Then eat 500 cals over that number.
    Sum came up to approximately 3200. Ive been actually eating a lot recently. Quite a helpful calorie calculation system. Thanks! Lets see how this goes.
  9. Registered User
    y0lked's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Age
    23
    Posts
    397
    Rep Power
    15639

    10x10 German Volume Training once a week works for me.
  10. Registered User
    N.Woods Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    313
    Rep Power
    26968

    Quote Originally Posted by y0lked View Post
    10x10 German Volume Training once a week works for me.
    Wait... You only work out one day a week??? Is that total or each bp?
  11. Registered User
    y0lked's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Age
    23
    Posts
    397
    Rep Power
    15639

    Quote Originally Posted by N.Woods Giant View Post
    Wait... You only work out one day a week??? Is that total or each bp?
    yea arms only get trained once every 5-7 days
  12. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The South.
    Age
    30
    Posts
    18,571
    Rep Power
    2410136

    Quote Originally Posted by uvawahoowa

    Squats and deads. Heavy.

    Your welcome.
    Power lifter style right?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  13. Registered User
    Mass Monkey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    529
    Rep Power
    3706

    Amongst all the above stuff I agree with I also love and u should try drop sets. Now THAT adds MASS!!

    Good luck and eat! Eat! Eat!

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
  14. Registered User
    soul0wner's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    754522

    Quote Originally Posted by Mass Monkey
    Amongst all the above stuff I agree with I also love and u should try drop sets. Now THAT adds MASS!!

    Good luck and eat! Eat! Eat!

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    I'm cutting currently, but I'm going to try drop sets next week, starting with chest.
  15. Registered User
    Mass Monkey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    529
    Rep Power
    3706

    Quote Originally Posted by soul0wner

    I'm cutting currently, but I'm going to try drop sets next week, starting with chest.
    Chest and arms are the best. Bar none!

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
  16. Registered User
    Nico1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    10431

    If your not growing it's usually your edit increase calories by 500 make sure u get minimum 1gram protein xlbm
  17. Registered User
    wrathchild281's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    1993

    try bumping up volume ever so often. And like arnold did alot. dropsets and supersets, be creative
  18. Registered User
    lund94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by wrathchild281
    try bumping up volume ever so often. And like arnold did alot. dropsets and supersets, be creative
    Sorry for the late update, i havent been on this forum for some time, but over the pass months I've gained a good amount of strength and mass. And im now currently deloading. But soon heading back do my bulking stage. Should i add a couple HIIT days to my workouts?
  19. Registered User
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    188233

    I haven't read the whole thread but after a few posts wanted to say that squats will not make your arms grow.

    Developing the squat can assist in arm development by creating a favorable flood of hormones and the base necessary to go heavier on other lifts.

    You have to stimulate a specific muscle for it to grow.

    Deadlifts too. Consider heavy barbell curls. Many people hunch over like a little old lady during curls because their back isn't strong enough to stand strong. At some point, this will be a limiting factor. You will eventually just crumple and your bicep development, where barbell curls are concerned, will be limited by a weak back.

    Increasing upper back strength will in turn allow you to go heavier on barbell curls, allowing greater stimulus and growth.

    Heavy compound lifts have been shown to give a testosterone boost too, so throwing in some arm work after heavy squat day can potentially lead to greater protein synthesis and nitrogen retention, assuming proper nutritional protocols are followed too.

    To really build impressive biceps, you will need to hit them directly. Compound lifts should be in every routine, "functional" strength is awesome, but if you want thick, strong, wide biceps with a peak you will need to add to the indirect work provided by various pulls.

    Heavy barbell curls, cable curls (constant tension), spider curls, reverse grip curls, hammer curls... hit them from different angles, weight and rep schemes.

    What does your routine look like currently? It would be helpful to know before suggesting alterations.
  20. Registered User
    wrathchild281's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    1993

    Quote Originally Posted by lund94 View Post
    Sorry for the late update, i havent been on this forum for some time, but over the pass months I've gained a good amount of strength and mass. And im now currently deloading. But soon heading back do my bulking stage. Should i add a couple HIIT days to my workouts?
    IMO yes you should! HIIT is great for either bulking, cutting or recomping and is far superior to slow/low intensity cardio. 2-3 x a week is ideal and keep them no longer than 45-1hr. More than 3 times a week can be a bit much and hinder the amount of size u can retain and also pushing the hiit sessions past an hour can also do the same if overdone.

    On top of it u can have alot more fun out of hiit related training. Cones and ladders on the field, Football, basketball, tennis, racquetball the options go on. Pick one and have fun. Also i wouldnt hit the HIIT preworkout or even lets say on ur heavier lifting days as ur primary focus should be lifting heavy weights.
  21. Registered User
    lund94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy
    I haven't read the whole thread but after a few posts wanted to say that squats will not make your arms grow.

    Developing the squat can assist in arm development by creating a favorable flood of hormones and the base necessary to go heavier on other lifts.

    You have to stimulate a specific muscle for it to grow.

    Deadlifts too. Consider heavy barbell curls. Many people hunch over like a little old lady during curls because their back isn't strong enough to stand strong. At some point, this will be a limiting factor. You will eventually just crumple and your bicep development, where barbell curls are concerned, will be limited by a weak back.

    Increasing upper back strength will in turn allow you to go heavier on barbell curls, allowing greater stimulus and growth.

    Heavy compound lifts have been shown to give a testosterone boost too, so throwing in some arm work after heavy squat day can potentially lead to greater protein synthesis and nitrogen retention, assuming proper nutritional protocols are followed too.

    To really build impressive biceps, you will need to hit them directly. Compound lifts should be in every routine, "functional" strength is awesome, but if you want thick, strong, wide biceps with a peak you will need to add to the indirect work provided by various pulls.

    Heavy barbell curls, cable curls (constant tension), spider curls, reverse grip curls, hammer curls... hit them from different angles, weight and rep schemes.

    What does your routine look like currently? It would be helpful to know before suggesting alterations.
    I recently finished a 5x5 workout program. And it was pretty awsome. As for my biceps, i personally dont like stand up curls. I usually replace them with concentration curls, hammer curls, reverse grip and etc..and as for my compound movements for my upper body I've been adding more rows, deadlifts et. Sorry if i got anything wrong in this thread and correct me if im wrong guys . Im still a 'noob' to working out. Lol
  22. Registered User
    lund94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by wrathchild281

    IMO yes you should! HIIT is great for either bulking, cutting or recomping and is far superior to slow/low intensity cardio. 2-3 x a week is ideal and keep them no longer than 45-1hr. More than 3 times a week can be a bit much and hinder the amount of size u can retain and also pushing the hiit sessions past an hour can also do the same if overdone.

    On top of it u can have alot more fun out of hiit related training. Cones and ladders on the field, Football, basketball, tennis, racquetball the options go on. Pick one and have fun. Also i wouldnt hit the HIIT preworkout or even lets say on ur heavier lifting days as ur primary focus should be lifting heavy weights.
    thanks a lot. Im trying to keep my heart rate up as i do my sessions also. So therefore, explosively lifting my reps, lower rest times in between sets, and supersets. I was planning on jumproping in between sets. Good idea?
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Trying to gain muscle... only get fat!
    By kingsix in forum Bulking
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 09:45 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 01:28 PM
  4. Looking to gain mass and strenght
    By DrizzleB in forum Bulking
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 03:33 PM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in