Lifting belt INCREASES chance of getting hernia?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.5%

Lifting belt INCREASES chance of getting hernia?

Weightlifing belt can CAUSE hernia rather than prevent it? I mean it increases intra abdominal pressure, but its width is only 10-15cm. So areas above and below a belt are more vulnerable to hernia when you use your belt than when you dont.

What do you think? I never used one and wondered about using it, but now im confused

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.76%

I have heard some people rely on the belt and neglect to tighten the core muscles when doing some lifts. The belt can give a false sense of security.
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

You can pinch your fat on a belt, but I don't see how wearing one in the proper way would lead to a hernia. The purpose of a belt isn't to stabilize your spine in place of your core muscles, but it's to provide a surface against which you can push your abs against so you know when you are correctly taking in air and stabilizing your core. Some people just belt up with the absolute tightest notch, practically suffocating themselves, which is wrong. If you could provide some studies supporting your notion, though, I'd be happy to check them out.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.75%

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    You can pinch your fat on a belt, but I don't see how wearing one in the proper way would lead to a hernia. The purpose of a belt isn't to stabilize your spine in place of your core muscles, but it's to provide a surface against which you can push your abs against so you know when you are correctly taking in air and stabilizing your core. Some people just belt up with the absolute tightest notch, practically suffocating themselves, which is wrong. If you could provide some studies supporting your notion, though, I'd be happy to check them out.
    This is spot on. The purpose of the belt is to assist the global core muscles in increasing intra-abdominal pressure and thereby to stabilize the spine.

Not using a belt correctly and doing too much work with a kyphotic lumbar spine will increase the risk of disk injuries.

Br
  5. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.14%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    This is spot on. The purpose of the belt is to assist the global core muscles in increasing intra-abdominal pressure and thereby to stabilize the spine.

Not using a belt correctly and doing too much work with a kyphotic lumbar spine will increase the risk of disk injuries.

Br
    I assumed he was talking about an abdominal hernia rather than a herniated intervertebral disc.

In regards to wearing a belt, here is a little summary of McGill's work.

"Those who have never had a previous back injury appear to have no additional protective benefit from wearing a belt.
    • Those who are injured while wearing a belt seem to risk a more severe injury.
    • Belts appear to give people the perception they can lift more and may in fact enable them to lift more.
    • Belts appear to increase intra-abdominal pressure and blood pressure.
    • Belts appear to change the lifting styles of some people to either decrease the loads on the spine or increase the loads on the spine.

There is no question that belts assist in generating a few more Newton-meters (or foot-pounds) of torque in the torso through elastic recoil of a bent torso that is stiffened with a belt. However, if a neutral spine is preserved throughout the lift this effect is diminished. In other words, to obtain the maximal effect from a belt, the lifter must lift poorly and in a way that exposed the back to a much higher risk of injury!

Evidence suggests that people change their motor patterns, together with their motion patterns when using a belt. The evidence suggests that these motor control changes can elevate the risk of injury should a belt not be worn in a belttraining athlete."

Source: http://www.nsca-lift.org/hottopic/do...s%20-%20v3.pdf
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.5%

currently I deadlift around 150kg x 6 reps and some people told me to buy a belt..

squat 130kg x 6

I feel comfortable and dont have any lower back pain as for now. recently read article about inguinal hernia and im a bit afraid of it
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.3%

Whether a user requires a belt or not is up to the individual. I, for instance, choose to not deadlift with a belt because it does in fact change my mechanics. But, I am able to deadlift in the 500-600 range quite fine. For squatting, I find I need that belt to really help me get my air in, so I use it whenever I go above 365lbs, or if I'm performing dynamic squats with accommodating resistance.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.14%

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    I have heard some people rely on the belt and neglect to tighten the core muscles when doing some lifts. The belt can give a false sense of security.
    true but that also can help to mentally reaching a better state and helps with hitting heavier weight. Saving your lower back is more the purpose of the belt. Not too worried about hernias..

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 12:49 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 03:01 AM
  3. Chance of getting total shutdown by H-Drol????
    By andreas in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 08:05 PM
  4. Chance Of Getting Shot+0.0000001%
    By anabolicrhino in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 10:59 PM
  5. Any chance of getting more Phera-Plex?
    By Sonicology in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 02:51 PM