Caloric Surplus Question

1. Caloric Surplus Question

I'm wondering if, during a bulk, it makes a significant difference to eat more than 500 kcal above maintenance. I know you can grow with a surplus of 500 kcal, but I'm wondering if you'd grow faster if you took in say 1,000-1,500 above maintenance. Or would that just be stored as fat?

Interested to hear what your opinions are.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.

2. IMO thats too much of a surplus. In simple terms, that would be stored as fat. Considering at 1,500 kcals per day over you'd gain a pound in just two days; 3 pounds in a week etc. Its far reaching to expect the body to be able to make a 3 pound gain in muscle mass in just a week.

3. Is there an ideal surplus to run? In the past I've usually tried to get ~500 over maintenance, and I've had good experiences with it, but I've heard about people taking in 6,000-9,000 kcal daily during a bulk and I wondered if there was a benefit.

You kind of reinforced my initial hypothesis which was that it would just be stored as fat.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
    •   

4. It's all relative and individual. If your maintenance is 5000kcals, then a 500kcal surplus is mild compared to someone with a 3000kcal maintenance. One thing I would like to point out, though, is that having a high (+15-20% over maintenance) will support strength gains quite well, which could indirectly help with hypertrophy.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. It requires approximately 2500-3000 kcal's for the body to biosynthesize just one pound of muscle. How that works out to what you need over maintenance on a daily/weekly basis is going to vary based on a number of variables...training, the amount of degredation during training, hormonal aspects, etc.

Br

6. yep slow gains. half pound a week. = lean

Similar Forum Threads

1. cutting question: caloric deficit
    By R1187 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 01:53 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 01:36 PM
  4. Quick question on caloric ratio's for cutting.
    By eGhost in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 01:16 PM
  5. Specific Caloric Need Question
    By kraftkid in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 09:44 PM