Threads for Deads

chefshields

Awards
So, I have heard mixed reviews on Deads and Squats on the same day. Some say that you should split them by atleast 2-3 days, others say you should do them on the same day. I know part of it is how much weight you are pulling, but someone please help me clear this up.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are using them for? Increasing muscle mass, increasing strength in the squat/dl, or to increase strength/power for other activities (sports, etc.).

Generally I split up primary movements like those by 3-4 days.

You can squat one day and do a deadlift alteration on the same day (RDL, good morning, single leg RDL, etc.)

Then you can deadlift and do a squat alteration on the same day (split squat, leg press, RFE split squat, zercher or goblet squat, etc.)

Br

chefshields

Awards
Its a bit of a muscle mass/ strength combo. I am trying to progressively add weight to all compound lifts (like everyone else, I'm sure). I've been doing them on the same day, and I've been fine, I'm just worried about when the weight increases.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are using them for? Increasing muscle mass, increasing strength in the squat/dl, or to increase strength/power for other activities (sports, etc.).

You can squat one day and do a deadlift alteration on the same day (RDL, good morning, single leg RDL, etc.)

Then you can deadlift and do a squat alteration on the same day (split squat, leg press, RFE split squat, zercher or goblet squat, etc.)

Br
This is the most intelligent and effective way to do this, IMO. In gear, I find that I can max out on both of them every 3-4 weeks, but there's no way I can do the same raw.

athsports

Awards

Br
That's similar to how I like to do it too. Squat is uses a lot of lower back and so does deadlift. If you do both on the same day as your main lift it might be too much. I split mine up Squat as main lift one day with some unilateral quad stuff same day and another day (usually a good 2 day min rest inbetween) deadlift as main lift and some unilateral hip stuff same day.