Bulking and cardio?

BigD89

Awards
What are your thoughts on running while trying to bulk. Distance you recommend or even if I need to avoid it. I'm trying to bulk but rele don't want to gain more fat than muscle. Any advice?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are your thoughts on running while trying to bulk. Distance you recommend or even if I need to avoid it. I'm trying to bulk but rele don't want to gain more fat than muscle. Any advice?
Sprints are good, just make sure you eat enough to replace the extra calorie expenditure.

BigD89

Awards
Sprints are good, just make sure you eat enough to replace the extra calorie expenditure.
Hmm then the would juss make running pointless lol I guess I'll just refrain from running untill I start to cut. Thanks for the post!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm then the would juss make running pointless lol I guess I'll just refrain from running untill I start to cut. Thanks for the post!
Not necessarily. Due to the nature of the exercise it may have potential recompense effects as long as that calorie expenditure is accounted for in your calorie intake which can lead to leaner gains throughout the bulking cycle. Mr.Cooper went into it.in more detail in the "fat burners on a bulk" thread. I would link but its a pain on the phone app but there was a lot of good that came from that thread if you want to check it out.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you training for an endurance event or for physique purposes [rhetorical]?

Sprinting will do a number of things for you, besides improving cardiovascular conditioning burning a few extra calories.
1. Will increase anaerobic enzymes. Hence, you'll be better able to utilize CHO for high intensity work.
2. Increase glycogen synthase activity and density. Hence, more of the CHO you consume will be stored as glycogen.
3. Increase beta-oxidation enzymes. Hence, you will be more efficient at using fat for fuel.
4. Train the type II fibers of the lower body, as well as place more stress upon the global core (abs, obliques, etc.).

1-3 will improve nutrient partitioning. In other words, more of what you eat will go towards muscle vs. fat. All this from 2-3 sessions of 6-10 sprints per session.

Br

Medical420

Medical420

Awards
I was always told to do a light cardio before training(5-10min). Mainly just to get the blood pumping and warm up the muscles. Don't know if is necessary, just habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was always told to do a light cardio before training(5-10min). Mainly just to get the blood pumping and warm up the muscles. Don't know if is necessary, just habit.

Yes, increase muscle temp will improve performance and reduce injury risk. Even better, is to make that cardio warmup a mobility warm. Activate the right muscles in the right patterns. Check out some of the mobilty warmups by DeFranco.

Medical420

Medical420

Awards
Yes, increase muscle temp will improve performance and reduce injury risk. Even better, is to make that cardio warmup a mobility warm. Activate the right muscles in the right patterns. Check out some of the mobilty warmups by DeFranco.
Improved muscle temp = improved muscle tearing ????

Thanks. with the arthritis, I can see how some of his positions are beneficial. I do similar stretches, I am going to try that glute hip rotator stretch

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Improved muscle temp = improved muscle tearing ????

Thanks. with the arthritis, I can see how some of his positions are beneficial. I do similar stretches, I am going to try that glute hip rotator stretch

No, increased muscle temperature will improve performance and reduce risk of tears.
Performance mechanisms: Q10 effect, greater liquidity in the sarcoplasm, etc.

Medical420

Medical420

Awards
No, increased muscle temperature will improve performance and reduce risk of tears.
Performance mechanisms: Q10 effect, greater liquidity in the sarcoplasm, etc.
My bad, I was referring to "tearing" as in the process of building muscles. Would cardio, increased blood flow and temperature be more beneficial for Bulking than just stretching, light warmup and straight into a workout? I would think yes. But i don't know.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My bad, I was referring to "tearing" as in the process of building muscles. Would cardio, increased blood flow and temperature be more beneficial for Bulking than just stretching, light warmup and straight into a workout? I would think yes. But i don't know.

Gotcha. Mobility would be most effective. You will stretch and activate the right muscles, be able to move more weight in a more efficient manner, and get a greater overload. Such is my train of thought on the matter.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

The only difference I see between the two is the strectching aspect, and this can differ dependant on the type of stretching as some stretching methods like static stretching can actually decrease power output. Its hard to assume what you mean by light warm up, do you also mean cardio?

I think cardio before a weights session is one way to go, but only if its treadmill running which will activate more muscle groups than say stationary bike, especially on upper body days. Personally I find that a 10 minute run helps get the blood pumping and then followed by warm up sets on the exercises i am performing to be most beneficial. But thats just one perspective

BigD89

Awards
Are you training for an endurance event or for physique purposes [rhetorical]?

Sprinting will do a number of things for you, besides improving cardiovascular conditioning burning a few extra calories.
1. Will increase anaerobic enzymes. Hence, you'll be better able to utilize CHO for high intensity work.
2. Increase glycogen synthase activity and density. Hence, more of the CHO you consume will be stored as glycogen.
3. Increase beta-oxidation enzymes. Hence, you will be more efficient at using fat for fuel.
4. Train the type II fibers of the lower body, as well as place more stress upon the global core (abs, obliques, etc.).

1-3 will improve nutrient partitioning. In other words, more of what you eat will go towards muscle vs. fat. All this from 2-3 sessions of 6-10 sprints per session.

Br
I am training for physique purposes. I'm bulking for 4 months and would like to gain more muscle than fat but I do realize fat is juss part of it when bulking, but would like to keep it to a minimum. I weigh 175 and goal weight by the end of it is around 200. Not too worried about the weight part juss wanna get big. Been eating 4000 cal give or take a Lil with 250 carbs and around 60 to 90 grams a fat a day with roughly 250- 280 grams of protein a day. Never done sprints so what would u recommend? Maybe run all out for a tenth of mile then walk fora tenth and repeat till I hit a mile?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am training for physique purposes. I'm bulking for 4 months and would like to gain more muscle than fat but I do realize fat is juss part of it when bulking, but would like to keep it to a minimum. I weigh 175 and goal weight by the end of it is around 200. Not too worried about the weight part juss wanna get big. Been eating 4000 cal give or take a Lil with 250 carbs and around 60 to 90 grams a fat a day with roughly 250- 280 grams of protein a day. Never done sprints so what would u recommend? Maybe run all out for a tenth of mile then walk fora tenth and repeat till I hit a mile?
Start out with a good track specific warm up.
Do 8 x 50 yards, with a 50 yard walk back for recovery twice a week for 1-2 weeks.
Then, increase the distance by 10-15 yards until you are doing 8 x 110 yards (100m) twice a week.
Once you are able to do all these with a high intensity, we can start working in shuttle runs, longer distance, or more volume.

I think your diet may need some revamping if your goal is to gain muscle. Your fat intake is low, your CHO intake can probably be increased, and your protein intake is excessive. All that extra protein is 1. costing your calories that could be used for biosynthesizing muscle, and 2. is either being converted to fatty acids or glucose and acting as a fuel. If you are 175 lbs then you really don't need more than 180-200 grams.

Br

BigD89

Awards
I don't rele have acces to a track can u convert that to the use of a treadmill? And cho? Thanks a lot for the info I figured my fat intake was too low but I was juss worried about gaining to much fat, mainly because all other times I bulked I ate a lot and got discourage when my belly came and quit

BigD89

Awards
O and forgot to mention that I have been bulking for 4 weeks with the diet I described and already gained 10 pounds and lots of strength.

BigD89

Awards
O and forgot to mention that I have been bulking for 4 weeks with the diet I described and already gained 10 pounds and lots of strength.
A lot of it prolly due to daa and dermacrine but still lol juss thought I would mention that and been on them for two and a half weeks. Deffinatley will start to take in more fat n Lil less protein tho

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lot of it prolly due to daa and dermacrine but still lol juss thought I would mention that and been on them for two and a half weeks. Deffinatley will start to take in more fat n Lil less protein tho
10lbs in 4 weeks. That's not muscle bro more than half of that will be fat gain, you may want to consider reevaluating your diet bro.

BigD89

Awards
10lbs in 4 weeks. That's not muscle bro more than half of that will be fat gain, you may want to consider reevaluating your diet bro.
What would you change? If I'm not getting enough fat or eating enough then wouldn't eating less be counter productive? Gotta think tho. Bout 2 pounds changes throughout the day. Plus going from lifting on and off not so determined with a crapy diet to full on strict 4 days a week and double the calories and everything then u can imagine how my body responded to tht. I'll try n post some before and current pics here in a bit to compare

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What would you change? If I'm not getting enough fat or eating enough then wouldn't eating less be counter productive? Gotta think tho. Bout 2 pounds changes throughout the day. Plus going from lifting on and off not so determined with a crapy diet to full on strict 4 days a week and double the calories and everything then u can imagine how my body responded to tht. I'll try n post some before and current pics here in a bit to compare
There's only so much muscle you can build in 4 weeks brother and 10lbs is way more than that. I'm willing to be you gained 6+ pounds of straight fat with 3-4lbs of muscle. You can keep it where it is.but.it.sounds like you're eating WAY more than you need to gain.

BigD89

Awards
Not saying I havnt gained fat because I deffinatley have, but I do feel like its about half and half ya kno. Tipping more in the fat and water direction like u said

jonesBones40

jonesBones40

Awards
Don't cut cardio completely man. I did that and its a biotch gettin back into it. As stated sprints are good, or just go everyday other day compared to everyday

jonesBones40

jonesBones40

Awards
Also don't overdo the bulk. That's easy to do, and you'll just be a fat ****. Made that mistake tio

BigD89

Awards
Also don't overdo the bulk. That's easy to do, and you'll just be a fat ****. Made that mistake tio
Lol yeh me to last time I bulked. Ended up stopping mid way and went back to eating a Lil above maintence

BigD89

Awards
Don't cut cardio completely man. I did that and its a biotch gettin back into it. As stated sprints are good, or just go everyday other day compared to everyday
I like the idea of sprints. I may do them twice a week and go from there

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You could also have an extra day at the gym with about 300 calories below what u on now and do some cardio. Once per week is good, you can add some cardio throughout the week as well but not to intense.

BigD89

Awards
You could also have an extra day at the gym with about 300 calories below what u on now and do some cardio. Once per week is good, you can add some cardio throughout the week as well but not to intense.
Good idea. My gf insists that I spend three days with her with no going to the gym. Calls it "baby time" and those are my off days lol but maybe I can squeeze 30 mins light cardio in on the treadmill at my apartments ;) or jus get a good ****ing in and call it a day haha

jonesBones40

jonesBones40

Awards
Good idea. My gf insists that I spend three days with her with no going to the gym. Calls it "baby time" and those are my off days lol but maybe I can squeeze 30 mins light cardio in on the treadmill at my apartments ;) or jus get a good ****ing in and call it a day haha
The best kind of cardio

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Start out with a good track specific warm up.
Do 8 x 50 yards, with a 50 yard walk back for recovery twice a week for 1-2 weeks.
Then, increase the distance by 10-15 yards until you are doing 8 x 110 yards (100m) twice a week.
Once you are able to do all these with a high intensity, we can start working in shuttle runs, longer distance, or more volume.

I think your diet may need some revamping if your goal is to gain muscle. Your fat intake is low, your CHO intake can probably be increased, and your protein intake is excessive. All that extra protein is 1. costing your calories that could be used for biosynthesizing muscle, and 2. is either being converted to fatty acids or glucose and acting as a fuel. If you are 175 lbs then you really don't need more than 180-200 grams.

Br
This is some really solid advice. For my personal goals, i like to keep my intervals at 400m (at around the 1 minute 15 pace) just to stress my anaerobic glycolytic system (the lactate system) rather than the Anaerobic PCr. There are of course, many ways to programe interval training to suit the training you are looking for.

The way I'd tend to do my training is either; 400m run follwed directly by 400m jog, then 400m run then 300m jog, 400m run, 200m jog, 400m run 100m jog. Rest 2 mins and repeat x 2 or 3.

But thats just my template. Sprints work real well also. Its just another option

I don't rele have acces to a track can u convert that to the use of a treadmill? And cho? Thanks a lot for the info I figured my fat intake was too low but I was juss worried about gaining to much fat, mainly because all other times I bulked I ate a lot and got discourage when my belly came and quit
fat intake doesnt make you fat. Just because the words are the same. This annoys me about the general health perspective. Cholesterol (although the body can synthesize some on its own) plays an important role in hormone production, as does saturated fats etc. I'm not suggesting that you go out and eat 100g of sat fats to produce more test, but bear in mind it plays a role.
The main reason you gained a belly would have more to do with just how much you ate over your maintainece. The body can only synthesize so much muscle (unless aided by exogenous sources) in a time period. 4000kcals is probably far too much of an excess in your case, although depending on your activity levels I cant really say. I would suggest keeping it as lean as possible by aiming for a 500kcal excess or perhaps a bit more.

And reading your other post about gaining 10lbs, just be mindful of what that 10lbs gained actually was. You will gain strength on an excess, so thats a good sign but just be mindful of body composition

BigD89

Awards
This is some really solid advice. For my personal goals, i like to keep my intervals at 400m (at around the 1 minute 15 pace) just to stress my anaerobic glycolytic system (the lactate system) rather than the Anaerobic PCr. There are of course, many ways to programe interval training to suit the training you are looking for.

The way I'd tend to do my training is either; 400m run follwed directly by 400m jog, then 400m run then 300m jog, 400m run, 200m jog, 400m run 100m jog. Rest 2 mins and repeat x 2 or 3.

But thats just my template. Sprints work real well also. Its just another option

fat intake doesnt make you fat. Just because the words are the same. This annoys me about the general health perspective. Cholesterol (although the body can synthesize some on its own) plays an important role in hormone production, as does saturated fats etc. I'm not suggesting that you go out and eat 100g of sat fats to produce more test, but bear in mind it plays a role.
The main reason you gained a belly would have more to do with just how much you ate over your maintainece. The body can only synthesize so much muscle (unless aided by exogenous sources) in a time period. 4000kcals is probably far too much of an excess in your case, although depending on your activity levels I cant really say. I would suggest keeping it as lean as possible by aiming for a 500kcal excess or perhaps a bit more.

And reading your other post about gaining 10lbs, just be mindful of what that 10lbs gained actually was. You will gain strength on an excess, so thats a good sign but just be mindful of body composition
Well my activity level isn't tht high so your prolly right saying 4000 is way to much. Would 3000 be suffice? I will begin to measure my body comp and tweak my diet if I start seeing too high numbers. What percentage should I stay around? Maybe 15%? Don't rele kno the usual for when ppl bulk

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

This is very good advice. I try to stress these same facts in my Sports Nutrition class.

Br

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Iceman013 Cycle Logs 6
Weight Loss 23
zach195 Bulking 26
Training Forum 23
Bulking 7