PHAT + Deadlift

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.73%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

PHAT + Deadlift

I've begun using Layne Norton's PHAT routine for the first time 2 weeks ago. So far I like it and it has treated me well, it's too soon to tell though. I'm torn between just wanting to work on strength, and your typical "bodybuilding" routines, so that's why I thought PHAT would be a good idea. My goal is to break 500lbs for reps on deads and squat, but to maintain some size and a good physique..

The thing I dislike about PHAT though, is working in deadlifts into the routine. On simplyshredded.com, his article says to replace squats on your lower power days with deadlifts, and alternate them every few weeks. Thats fine.. but I want to do both heavy deads and heavy squats in one week..not 2 weeks apart. That's how I have been training the last 2 months and that's given me the best results.

What I did last week, was squat heavy on lower power day w/ rmdl that day..and heavy deads on friday for "hypertrophy leg" day, and whatever the rest of the template says (tailored to my desire, and excluding the "speed squats").

Back is on thursday..

Question is..Will working back on thursday begin to hinder my deadlifts on friday?

Thanks for any responses, suggestions, ideas, advice, constructive criticisms in advance.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.21%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332
    I've begun using Layne Norton's PHAT routine for the first time 2 weeks ago. So far I like it and it has treated me well, it's too soon to tell though. I'm torn between just wanting to work on strength, and your typical "bodybuilding" routines, so that's why I thought PHAT would be a good idea. My goal is to break 500lbs for reps on deads and squat, but to maintain some size and a good physique..

The thing I dislike about PHAT though, is working in deadlifts into the routine. On simplyshredded.com, his article says to replace squats on your lower power days with deadlifts, and alternate them every few weeks. Thats fine.. but I want to do both heavy deads and heavy squats in one week..not 2 weeks apart. That's how I have been training the last 2 months and that's given me the best results.

What I did last week, was squat heavy on lower power day w/ rmdl that day..and heavy deads on friday for "hypertrophy leg" day, and whatever the rest of the template says (tailored to my desire, and excluding the "speed squats").

Back is on thursday..

Question is..Will working back on thursday begin to hinder my deadlifts on friday?

Thanks for any responses, suggestions, ideas, advice, constructive criticisms in advance.
    If you do lower back excersizes to a significant degree on back day then probably
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Working both squats and deads at a higher 1RM% during the same week in addition to the high amount of volume of PHAT is a bad idea. The stronger you get, the less frequently you need to pull. I pull every 2-4 weeks (depending on numerous factors) and have made the biggest jumps in DL numbers since backing off on the frequency.

Also, don't exclude the speed squats (aka the dynamic method) as it is invaluable for developing bar speed. One alternative is to do speed pulls and heavy squats on one week and the heavy pulls and speed squats the next week.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.73%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Rodja..I havent thought of that, I like your idea. Sounds like it'll give me some of both worlds each week.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Rodja..I havent thought of that, I like your idea. Sounds like it'll give me some of both worlds each week.
    Make sure to keep the speed day in the 50-60% range and focus on technique first and bar speed second.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.73%

roger that
  7. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.11%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Working both squats and deads at a higher 1RM% during the same week in addition to the high amount of volume of PHAT is a bad idea. The stronger you get, the less frequently you need to pull. I pull every 2-4 weeks (depending on numerous factors) and have made the biggest jumps in DL numbers since backing off on the frequency.

Also, don't exclude the speed squats (aka the dynamic method) as it is invaluable for developing bar speed. One alternative is to do speed pulls and heavy squats on one week and the heavy pulls and speed squats the next week.
    So for a person who is at 375 5RM ( afraid to try for a 1RM tbh) how often would you recommend pulling? I love deadlift and can't imagine doing it less than once a week
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.73%

If youre doing the PHAT routine I would recommend doing as his suggested for me..the amount of weight somebody lifts for a 1RM shouldn't matter when following a routine. I had to get used to not lifting heavy deads and squats together in the same week, but I like the advice he gave for me and I hope it works for you as well if you follow it . I'll do a 5/3/1 program next to focus more on strengths over hte winter.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%

Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post
    So for a person who is at 375 5RM ( afraid to try for a 1RM tbh) how often would you recommend pulling? I love deadlift and can't imagine doing it less than once a week
    Well, you need to work up to a 1RM at some point otherwise your perceived percentages are incorrect and it's much more difficult to give out recommendations. At your rough estimate, you still don't need to pull that frequently and should focus on low box squats and heavy good mornings.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.11%

Well, you need to work up to a 1RM at some point otherwise your perceived percentages are incorrect and it's much more difficult to give out recommendations. At your rough estimate, you still don't need to pull that frequently and should focus on low box squats and heavy good mornings.
    Your opinion of seated good mornings?
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%

Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post
    Your opinion of seated good mornings?
    They're more of an assistance or supplemental lift than a main movement.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.58%

What he said. Even west side conjugate method will have you box squat or dead as the max effort that day, not use max effort squat and dead. You gotta leave some in the tank and be patient. Years under the bar will get you up there. In the scope of a lifetime with the iron one week is nothing.
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.73%

Quote Originally Posted by RicFlair

What he said. Even west side conjugate method will have you box squat or dead as the max effort that day, not use max effort squat and dead. You gotta leave some in the tank and be patient. Years under the bar will get you up there. In the scope of a lifetime with the iron one week is nothing.
    I gotta remember that quote!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Deadlift Question
    By tatortodd in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 01:09 AM
  2. Deadlifts
    By spike1205 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 02:40 PM
  3. New drug free personal deadlift record
    By phil216 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9