Is this exercise effective?

Awards
Over the past couple of weeks I have started a bench exercise that is a little different and I would like to know if it would be considered useful or harmful.

I start with 2 warm-up sets of 10 with 135 (my max is 375). Then I do 1 set of 8 with 225 slow. Next I do 1 set of 20 with 225 (that is about all I can do). Then finally I do 1 set of 6 with 225 where I come down to about 2 inches above my chest, hold it for a couple of seconds, and then finish the complete rep.

I have gotten bigger and better pumps off of this than with any other chest exercise. But do good pumps always mean that it is productive? Is this going to help me with size, strength, definition, etc or is it going to have a catabolic effect?

After that I still do inclines and flies normally.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Any variation from what your used to IMO will benefit you.The trick is to keep changing the routine after you feel it's no longer working.Changing sets,reps,half reps,rest pause,break down sets are all a form of HIT.I have found these techiniques are effective but watch out not to over due it.

Grim Repper

Awards
"Is this going to help me with size, strength, definition, etc or is it going to have a catabolic effect?"
Well, I doubt catabolism would come into play at all. But if I were looking to improve strength for example, I'd personally avoid so many reps before 'work' sets. Since I'd be looking to improve my strength, I'd need to overload on my work sets. If partially fatigued rather than warmed up, I don't think it'd work for me. I personally know MY body, and I wouldn't get stronger from that type of scheme. I'd get a pump and be prolly sore as hell though! Hey, if you're digging it, right on, keep it up.