working out on empty stomach / cutting cycle

Kraziplaya

Awards
well guys....im tryin to cut right now and have been working out/cardio on a empty stomach for the last couple weeks...i am on test/4ad transdermal and eca stack....i actually feel strong sometimes when i workout and i feel i am dropping fat loss.....but i also feel im not gaining much muscle.....should i keep this up or start taking a small meal or protein shake an hour b4 the gym??? to be honest...i wanna gain muscle and lose as much fat as possible on this cycle....my workout consists of waking up, doin about 10-20 of cardio, weights about 45 mins, and then finishing with some more cardio 15-25 mins.... anyone think this is a bad idea?? let me know ur input..my diet is pretty good right now too...

Grim Repper

Awards
Burning fat is probably better accomplished when you can ensure you're preserving as much muscle as possible. Muscle's an active tissue and the more you have, the higher your metabolism. So, you don't want to lose any if possible. I'd try to 'buffer' my hard-earned muscle with some protein and glutamine before and after working out. I doubt that would be counter-productive to your fat loss efforts.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
I agree.

Also, you might want to look into a cyclical ketogenic diet if you want to be able to train on an empty stomach and still have energy. On a CKD your muscles burn stored glycogen during weight training and fat for just about everything else, which means you have plenty of power at waking up.

Still, protein is a must. At LEAST get some whey immediately pwo.

ZackMurphy

Awards
i wanna gain muscle and lose as much fat as possible on this cycle....
Depends how fasted you actually are. If you haven't eating for >3 hours prior to lifting, then you put your body in a slightly disadvantageous position for muscle retention. You'll have plenty of stored carbs for energy, so you're not burning muscle, per se, but it's not an ideal anabolic environment.

Weight loss and fat loss happen over a period of many days in a hypocaloric state, not over the span of an hour in the gym. Only YOU think on a 24-hour clock. Your body is thinking in terms of weeks and months. For you to think of burning fat on a micro-scale is a diservice to your efforts in the gym.

Eat right, before and after working out, and you can lose fat AND be properly fueled to build muscle.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend doing your cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and lifting in the afternoon with proper pre and post workout nutrition.

ZackMurphy

Awards
I would recommend doing your cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and lifting in the afternoon with proper pre and post workout nutrition.
Morning fasted cardio - depends what "cardio" is to you. If it's anthing even remotely intense, that's been pretty thoroughly debunked from the standpoint of retaining maximum LBM. If your cardio is (at most) 50% of max heart rate, and no more than about 30-40 minutes then you're okay, but it's still a splippery slope.

I know pros do it, but they're not nearly as fasted as most regular lifters are. I get up in the morning and it's been 7-8 hours since I ate. They get up, and it's been 2-4. BIG difference.

I love fasted morning cardio, but it's just a quick walk to start the morning, and not intense aerobic activity or anything physically challenging.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Morning fasted cardio - depends what "cardio" is to you. If it's anthing even remotely intense, that's been pretty thoroughly debunked from the standpoint of retaining maximum LBM. If your cardio is (at most) 50% of max heart rate, and no more than about 30-40 minutes then you're okay, but it's still a splippery slope.

I know pros do it, but they're not nearly as fasted as most regular lifters are. I get up in the morning and it's been 7-8 hours since I ate. They get up, and it's been 2-4. BIG difference.

I love fasted morning cardio, but it's just a quick walk to start the morning, and not intense aerobic activity or anything physically challenging.
I'm talking medium intensity for 30-45 minutes. I'm also under the assumption the poster isn't anywhere near sub 10% bf and should fairly easily burn fat while still gaining strength/muscle.

ZackMurphy

Awards
I'm talking medium intensity for 30-45 minutes. I'm also under the assumption the poster isn't anywhere near sub 10% bf and should fairly easily burn fat while still gaining strength/muscle.
True, and I agree with those presumptions.

This article made the rounds pretty thoroughly over the last couple years, but just in case any of you haven't seen it:
http://www.fitren.com/res3art.cfm?compid=18&artid=71

Venuto is not against morning fasted cardio - that is, in favor to a degree and based on certain limitations. Irrespective of what side of the line you fall on, the article actually lays out both arguements pretty well.