Seated dumbell shoulder press (without back support)

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday I has this odd idea to try shoulder presses on a bench without back support and ive diecided that for me, this hits my delts much harder than any time i have done it with back support. Understandably I had to drop the weight i was using by about 1/3 to make the lift possible, however i felt it really isolated and engaged my shoulders, which ive always had trouble doing. I thought it might be worth bringing up so others could try it and give their thoughts.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just started doing these and love them. Core stability and delt isolation is insane!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I thought it ws always recommended that seated dumbell presses were done without back support ;)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
From my observations, most people who do any sort of shoulder press with a back support end up turning it into a high incline press.

Br

BigAL46

BigAL46

Awards
Hello i do my dumbbell shoulder press standing. Tried seated didn't like it.

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
Why not just go with a standing overhead barbell press?

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Ive found that seated is a better way of isolating your shoulders as opposed to standing which is a great compound and functional exersise-I am looking for more isolation as my shoulders need more attention. The other reason i do not do it standing is becuase i have hurt my back in the past and i feel safer doing it seated.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive found that seated is a better way of isolating your shoulders as opposed to standing which is a great compound and functional exersise-I am looking for more isolation as my shoulders need more attention. The other reason i do not do it standing is becuase i have hurt my back in the past and i feel safer doing it seated.
Yes, as with the back supported seated presses, standing ones are also often turned into an incline press with an act of extreme lumbar hyperextension.

Here's a tip. 1. Keep your knees slightly unlocked. 2. Contract your glutes real hard. 3. Contract your abdominals. 4. Finish with the barbell (or DBs) such that the upper arms are inline with the ears.

Yes, your weights will go down, but you will be using correct technique, reduce the amount of compression on the spinal disks and risk of injury, and get more out of the exercise.

Br

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Yes, as with the back supported seated presses, standing ones are also often turned into an incline press with an act of extreme lumbar hyperextension.

Here's a tip. 1. Keep your knees slightly unlocked. 2. Contract your glutes real hard. 3. Contract your abdominals. 4. Finish with the barbell (or DBs) such that the upper arms are inline with the ears.

Yes, your weights will go down, but you will be using correct technique, reduce the amount of compression on the spinal disks and risk of injury, and get more out of the exercise.

Br
Thanks Red. I'll give that a go on Thursday. I'll start light and just use it as a warm-up exercise to start with. Would there be any benefit of doing it in the smith machine or will free weights be more beneficial?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Red. I'll give that a go on Thursday. I'll start light and just use it as a warm-up exercise to start with. Would there be any benefit of doing it in the smith machine or will free weights be more beneficial?
Free weights to allow a free path for the bar.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, like Rodja said, free weights. The typical path of the bar in the press runs in an arc. This cannot occur if the trajectory of the weight is locked in place.

Also, you should look into activation exercises of the scapula fixators (low/mid traps, rhomboids, serratus, etc.) prior to performing the press.

Br