Bulking questions..

  1. New Member
    whit2cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    27
    Level
    1
    Lv. Percent
    22%

    Bulking questions..


    I'm a real beginner and I've been working out for about a year now.. I was taught to do around 12-15 reps for about 5 sets to get a kinda bulky/cut look but I want to really add size to my muscles...I'm 5'10 170 and should I go 5x8 or so to get bigger or just stay with what I'm doing?

  2. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428709
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by whit2cold View Post
    I'm a real beginner and I've been working out for about a year now.. I was taught to do around 12-15 reps for about 5 sets to get a kinda bulky/cut look but I want to really add size to my muscles...I'm 5'10 170 and should I go 5x8 or so to get bigger or just stay with what I'm doing?
    Bulking comes from Nutrition and Rest first, proper workouts later. After revisiting your nutrition basics and planning a diet on a caloric surplus, look into Wendler's 5/3/1 book. Perfect for beginners to pile on some mass and strength.

    Here's a link for a real easy explanation of it, to really get it more and understand the program GET THE BOOK.

    http://www.**********************/wor...ng-system.html

    If you really like working out in a more..."Bodybuilder style" many people like the PHAT alternative for bulking...
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-f...ated-2011.html
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  3. New Member
    Rucksdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    160532
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    90.04%

    Quote Originally Posted by whit2cold View Post
    I'm a real beginner and I've been working out for about a year now.. I was taught to do around 12-15 reps for about 5 sets to get a kinda bulky/cut look but I want to really add size to my muscles...I'm 5'10 170 and should I go 5x8 or so to get bigger or just stay with what I'm doing?
    Is what you are doing working? If not, then change up. Lowering the reps will help you add strength, which the end result being able to handle more weight leading to an increase in muscle size. You didn't list your routine, diet or supplementation. Many things add up to factoring in muscle gains. Try rotating in different rep ranges (6 reps for some, 10 for others, etc.) on different exercises.

    APPNUT
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35037
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    67.8%

    I always feel beginners should do lower reps to add some strength first. Its also easier to have good form for 5 good reps than for 12, especially on the heavy compound movements.
  5. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428709
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    I always feel beginners should do lower reps to add some strength first. Its also easier to have good form for 5 good reps than for 12, especially on the heavy compound movements.
    I feel beginners should consult a personal trainer to at least coach them in proper form. That said I think 5/3/1 is a good starting plan for beginners.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  6. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35037
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    67.8%

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    I feel beginners should consult a personal trainer to at least coach them in proper form. That said I think 5/3/1 is a good starting plan for beginners.
    I prefer a 5x5 for beginners. After a few months of that 5-3-1.
  7. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428709
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    I prefer a 5x5 for beginners. After a few months of that 5-3-1.
    I know ! I saw your post with Rodja , and I agree more with his ideas behind 5/3/1.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  8. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35037
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    67.8%

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    I know ! I saw your post with Rodja , and I agree more with his ideas behind 5/3/1.
    See, the thing is I agree with him too, partly. I don't think a person should just blindly follow a routine. A person can add assistance movements to correct flaws or weakness to a 5x5 just as easy as he can to 5-3-1. I just don't see the point of holding someone back when the gains come easy for a beginner. Why add 5 lbs a month when you can add 5 lbs a week?
  9. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428709
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    See, the thing is I agree with him too, partly. I don't think a person should just blindly follow a routine. A person can add assistance movements to correct flaws or weakness to a 5x5 just as easy as he can to 5-3-1. I just don't see the point of holding someone back when the gains come easy for a beginner. Why add 5 lbs a month when you can add 5 lbs a week?
    For the same reason most people are not educated in the noticing of imbalances and they can further worsen them with adding them without knowledge. Let's just face it, both are good programs and we are nitpicking the deep fundamentals haha...in the OP and everyone is gonna pick w.e they want And I like 5x5 too, hella good for mass and strength.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  10. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35037
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    67.8%

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    For the same reason most people are not educated in the noticing of imbalances and they can further worsen them with adding them without knowledge. Let's just face it, both are good programs and we are nitpicking the deep fundamentals haha...in the OP and everyone is gonna pick w.e they want And I like 5x5 too, hella good for mass and strength.

    Just for arguements sake...would not a person have to do the same thing as far as choosing assistance or corrective movements for both programs? I fail to see how this arguements makes a 5-3-1 better for beginners.
  11. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428709
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    Just for arguements sake...would not a person have to do the same thing as far as choosing assistance or corrective movements for both programs? I fail to see how this arguements makes a 5-3-1 better for beginners.
    5/3/1 in its most basic templates, like BBB makes it easier and sets the first assistance as the Main lift at 50-60% for a 10x5. Then it already suggests the other assistance exercise in relation to the movements trained and in the manner they can help, along with an example of reps for the 5 sets. I guess it makes it easier for beginners to follow this, instead of randomly adding them at will. For example, there's many people who would think a Deadlift day would be a perfect day to train Lats (I know it isn't...) but people seem to forget that dead lifts are more of a posterior chain exercise and seem to categorize it as back. (Even though with different grips one can recruit more Traps/Back involvement in the motion)
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  12. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35037
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    67.8%

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    5/3/1 in its most basic templates, like BBB makes it easier and sets the first assistance as the Main lift at 50-60% for a 10x5. Then it already suggests the other assistance exercise in relation to the movements trained and in the manner they can help, along with an example of reps for the 5 sets. I guess it makes it easier for beginners to follow this, instead of randomly adding them at will. For example, there's many people who would think a Deadlift day would be a perfect day to train Lats (I know it isn't...) but people seem to forget that dead lifts are more of a posterior chain exercise and seem to categorize it as back. (Even though with different grips one can recruit more Traps/Back involvement in the motion)

    I still don't agree, but I guess its not a big deal. Corrective movements will be different for each person reguardless of the program. I am doing the triumverate right now (just started 5-3-1 after months of 3x5 and 5x5), but I changed a couple of the movements Wendler suggested in that variation to address my specific weaknesses.
  13. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428709
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    I still don't agree, but I guess its not a big deal. Corrective movements will be different for each person reguardless of the program. I am doing the triumverate right now (just started 5-3-1 after months of 3x5 and 5x5), but I changed a couple of the movements Wendler suggested in that variation to address my specific weaknesses.
    Yeah the Triumvirate is real nice for that, hence its called the "Smart man's training method" , it's up to the trainee to find what works best for them and use the 2 exercises they most benefit from for this workouts. Tacking one's weaknesses sounds like a perfect idea IMO.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. i have some bulk questions
    By halberdier747 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 06:50 PM
  2. bulking question.... help out!!
    By sameerkhan51 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 09:41 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 08:44 PM
  4. Bulking Question...
    By tek in forum Bulking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 05:29 PM
  5. "Lean Bulk" Question (1test/4ad)
    By bep1414 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 06:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in