Military press

  1. Registered User
    TFlifting's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    196
    Answers
    0

    Military press


    Does anyone do military press anymore? I feel like it is a dying exercise even though it's my major lift in my shoulder routine... I noticed a big increase in my DB shoulder press after doing it to... Also what are some of your weights like compared to your body weight?

  2. Registered User
    thehulk2203's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    196
    Answers
    0


    I love military press I do 225x10(3) I weight 220lbs. it its one of my main lifts I do

    Sent from my HTC EVO
  3. Registered User
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Answers
    0


    I do the military press. I feel it should always be done standing though.

    Last workout I did 145 x 5. I had more in the tank, I would guess I could have done about 7 reps, but I am saving my max outs for my "3" and "5-3-1" workouts and trying to just do my prescribed reps on the "5" and "deload" days. I am a rather weak presser and am much stronger in pulling and legs.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    SLW2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    613
    Answers
    0


    I do the standing press, not military press. For it to be a military press your heels have to be touching. Most people say they do military press when in reality they are doing a standing press with their feet shoulder width apart.
  5. Registered User
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Answers
    0


    I guess i do to then. I keep feet shoulder width and slightly offset.
  6. Registered User
    thehulk2203's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    196
    Answers
    0


    I do mine sitting down is it still a military press or just a shoulder press

    Sent from my HTC EVO
  7. Registered User
    SLW2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    613
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by thehulk2203 View Post
    I do mine sitting down is it still a military press or just a shoulder press

    Sent from my HTC EVO
    If your not standing with your heels touching it is not a military press. You are doing a seated shoulder press.
  8. Registered User
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Answers
    0


    My problem with doing them seated is they lose a lot of functionality. I have never in my life had to lift something heavy over my head while seated.
  9. Registered User
    uvawahoowa's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,482
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman
    My problem with doing them seated is they lose a lot of functionality. I have never in my life had to lift something heavy over my head while seated.
    Right, but seated shoulder press us far more taxing on the shoulders, which is better of that is what one is going for. All depends on goals
  10. ITW
    ITW is offline
    Registered User
    ITW's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    437
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by uvawahoowa

    Right, but seated shoulder press us far more taxing on the shoulders, which is better of that is what one is going for. All depends on goals
    Seated shoulder press is far more taxing on your kinetic chain. Terrible exercise imo
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,137
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post
    Seated shoulder press is far more taxing on your kinetic chain. Terrible exercise imo
    Say what?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. ITW
    ITW is offline
    Registered User
    ITW's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    437
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Say what?
    I'm saying its hard on your lower back
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,137
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post
    I'm saying its hard on your lower back
    If your technique sucks, but that could be said for many exercises.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. ITW
    ITW is offline
    Registered User
    ITW's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    437
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    If your technique sucks, but that could be said for many exercises.
    Well its far easier to have bad technique on seated as opposed to standing press
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,137
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post
    Well its far easier to have bad technique on seated as opposed to standing press
    That is far from true.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Registered User
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by uvawahoowa View Post
    Right, but seated shoulder press us far more taxing on the shoulders, which is better of that is what one is going for. All depends on goals
    Your right, to each his own. I look at the shoulder press as a lift something really heavy over you head movment, not a shoulder exercise.
  17. Registered User
    thehulk2203's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    196
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SLW2

    If your not standing with your heels touching it is not a military press. You are doing a seated shoulder press.
    Well crap guess I don't do military press after all just shoulder press

    Sent from my HTC EVO
  18. Registered User
    Mrpersinality's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    32
    Posts
    365
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman
    My problem with doing them seated is they lose a lot of functionality. I have never in my life had to lift something heavy over my head while seated.
    Same for flat bench press. How often do you have a flat back when pushing something? Usually you lean forward like the incline bench position. That doesn't mean it's dumb to do flat bench though.
  19. Registered User
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Mrpersinality View Post
    Same for flat bench press. How often do you have a flat back when pushing something? Usually you lean forward like the incline bench position. That doesn't mean it's dumb to do flat bench though.
    But I do lift heavy things over my head while standing, pretty regularly. So if given the choice on how to train that movement, I think standing is the better option. This has nothing at all to do with benchpressing.

    I also think standing presses have more importance than the benchpress.
  20. Registered User
    Jenx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    28
    Answers
    0


    Just for my own knowledge, is there a significant difference keeping the heels together?
  21. Registered User
    Mrpersinality's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    32
    Posts
    365
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman

    But I do lift heavy things over my head while standing, pretty regularly. So if given the choice on how to train that movement, I think standing is the better option. This has nothing at all to do with benchpressing.

    I also think standing presses have more importance than the benchpress.
    I know what you mean but I'm saying I push things often at work and dont just do incline bench know what I mean
  22. Registered User
    SLW2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    613
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jenx View Post
    Just for my own knowledge, is there a significant difference keeping the heels together?
    It makes the lift harder
  23. Registered User
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Answers
    0


    I would imagine the core would become much more involved for balance.
  24. Registered User
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Mrpersinality View Post
    I know what you mean but I'm saying I push things often at work and dont just do incline bench know what I mean

    I never said to only do overhead pressing.

    I simply feel there are a handful of movements everyone should do, and the standing press is one of them. The full squat, deadlift, some form of pullup, and dips being the others.
  25. Banned
    Tboz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    272
    Answers
    0


    I do them a lot. Mostly seated bb press.

    I usually start at 135 and work up to 215x10. I do 4 working sets
    I'm 190
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Military Press
    By koi1214 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 08:30 AM
  2. Military Press Stance
    By heavyduty in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 07:44 PM
  3. Forearm pain when benching or military presses.
    By flytrapcan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 01:57 PM
  4. Bench position for military press
    By CyberMuscle in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 07:56 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 11:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in