Squat Hip/Joint Pain

  1. Registered User
    gokix811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,688
    Rep Power
    1691120

    Squat Hip/Joint Pain


    Hoping someone reading this can provide some insight.

    I'm experiencing a bit of pain around the ball/socket area of my left hip. This happens whether I do BW squats or with weight. I don't think it's a muscle/tendon issue just because when I'm deep in the squat it feels like something is rubbing and protruding forward from my hip. I've hit this depth without much problems before and it's only the movement that brings about the problem. But I notice this pain generally happens after a day of cardio. My cardio consists of LISS like a 40-50 min walk on pavement which might have something to do with it. I always start with warm ups, ~15 minutes with dynamic stretches like leg swings, lunges, squat stretches and BW squats. In between sets I also do BW squats.

    Thanks
    Squats do a booty good.

  2. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430707

    Prolly trochanteric bursitis

    Rest and anti inflammatories for a week or so, if it's still bothering you - off to the sports medicine doc.

    First line of therapy is usually a cortisone injection.

    Stretch the crap out of your hip flexors before squatting. I had the same issue for a while, managed to stretch myself out if it though

    Good luck
  3. Registered User
    gokix811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,688
    Rep Power
    1691120

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Prolly trochanteric bursitis

    Rest and anti inflammatories for a week or so, if it's still bothering you - off to the sports medicine doc.

    First line of therapy is usually a cortisone injection.

    Stretch the crap out of your hip flexors before squatting. I had the same issue for a while, managed to stretch myself out if it though

    Good luck
    Thanks! I had my squat workout yesterday and my left hip was bearable, not painful, but it felt rather uncomfortable and definitely affected the amount of weight I was able to push.

    Can you suggest some hip flexor stretches that helped you?
    Squats do a booty good.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430707

    Quote Originally Posted by gokix811

    Thanks! I had my squat workout yesterday and my left hip was bearable, not painful, but it felt rather uncomfortable and definitely affected the amount of weight I was able to push.

    Can you suggest some hip flexor stretches that helped you?
    There's many different stretches that are effective, just google hip flexor stretches.

    I just get into the bottom position of the squat and alternate putting a leg all the way behind me. I also put one leg on the safety bar of a power rack and go from side to side.

    Good luck,
  5. Registered User
    AZMIDLYF's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    55
    Posts
    14,701
    Rep Power
    4651711

    These might help:

    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  6. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430707

    Good find AZ...
  7. Registered User
    Mr.Testo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  172 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Essex Basildon
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by gokix811 View Post
    Hoping someone reading this can provide some insight.

    I'm experiencing a bit of pain around the ball/socket area of my left hip. This happens whether I do BW squats or with weight. I don't think it's a muscle/tendon issue just because when I'm deep in the squat it feels like something is rubbing and protruding forward from my hip. I've hit this depth without much problems before and it's only the movement that brings about the problem. But I notice this pain generally happens after a day of cardio. My cardio consists of LISS like a 40-50 min walk on pavement which might have something to do with it. I always start with warm ups, ~15 minutes with dynamic stretches like leg swings, lunges, squat stretches and BW squats. In between sets I also do BW squats.

    Thanks
    if your pain is around the hip joint itself its unlikely the actual problem is muscular, i have an idea of what it is but before i say can i ask you to stand up on both feet, raise your left knee up in front with your left leg bent 90degrees so your thigh is paralell to the ground externally rotate your knee to the left and do circular motions with it raised off the ground, is there any pain or clicking?
    obviously anyone on here without a relevant medical degree ultimately is only going to be able to give you an educated answer based on our own experience and i wouldnt expect much more, research on google then see a doctor when your almost certain what it is
  8. Registered User
    gokix811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,688
    Rep Power
    1691120

    Okay I tried what you suggested, there is no pain or clicking. But I still feel like something is rubbing/protruding forward and down from the hip area and it's very uncomfortable to stay in the squat position once I hit parallel. In order to work around the issue I've been doing lunges and sumo squats with lighter weights. The wide stance of the sumo squats does not irritate my hips during the motion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Testo View Post
    if your pain is around the hip joint itself its unlikely the actual problem is muscular, i have an idea of what it is but before i say can i ask you to stand up on both feet, raise your left knee up in front with your left leg bent 90degrees so your thigh is parallel to the ground externally rotate your knee to the left and do circular motions with it raised off the ground, is there any pain or clicking?
    obviously anyone on here without a relevant medical degree ultimately is only going to be able to give you an educated answer based on our own experience and i wouldnt expect much more, research on google then see a doctor when your almost certain what it is
    Squats do a booty good.
  9. Registered User
    wrathchild281's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    1993

    leg ext. and extensive ham work. static stretches before and after
  10. Registered User
    TruthWalker's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    35229

    Also, look in to adding Super Cissus to your supplement plan. This is what fixed my shoulder problem for me. All natural, fairly inexpensive. Absolutely fantastic joint product.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Squats & Hip Pain
    By firefighter2032 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2009, 10:44 PM
  2. lower hip / groin pain while squatting
    By Primal2099 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 04:02 PM
  3. What's the best supp.for elbow + joint pain
    By MaDmaN in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 06:43 PM
  4. GVT and Joint Pain
    By ironviking in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 10:46 PM
  5. Help! Joint pains!
    By RippedForce in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in