Increasing my cardio output

j03

Awards
Hey guys,

I have bad cardio. I used to smoke in my teens and I think that may have contributed to this. I literally cannot run 1 mile in a light jog, most of the time I can only do 1/2 a mile before i have to take a break. I'm training in MMA now and it really worries me that if I'm in a self-defense situation I would gas out very quickly leaving myself really vulnerable.

I run everyday and try to push my limits, but that's doing little. I'm not overweight, I'm 6'1 165lbs and my overall fitness is good. Is there anything else I can do? I'm not apposed to PED's like EPO, but for now I'd rather try all legal options at my disposal.

Regards,
J

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A few questions. First, is it your conditioning or your running technique that prevents you from running a mile? In other words, do you need to take a break because you are out of breath, fatigued, heart rate is excessively high (conditining), or is it due to muscular or soft tissue issues such as cramping, discomfort, etc.

Second, if your goal is to compete in MMA, then running distance may not be the best bet for conditioning. I must preface by saying you should have a base level of aerobic conditioning, such as being able to jog a few miles without issue. That stated, MMA is an anaerobic sport. You are going all out for intervals of time, followed by either an active (in a gaurd position) or passive (between rounds) rest period. Train it as such. Beyond your sparring and drills, start doing interval work. You can set up three days based on impact. One day can be done on a bike or air dyne, another day can be sprinting or prowler/car pushing, and a third day can be in the water. 1-2 min of work followed by 30 sec - 2 min of rest.

Br

j03

Awards
A few questions. First, is it your conditioning or your running technique that prevents you from running a mile? In other words, do you need to take a break because you are out of breath, fatigued, heart rate is excessively high (conditining), or is it due to muscular or soft tissue issues such as cramping, discomfort, etc.

Second, if your goal is to compete in MMA, then running distance may not be the best bet for conditioning. I must preface by saying you should have a base level of aerobic conditioning, such as being able to jog a few miles without issue. That stated, MMA is an anaerobic sport. You are going all out for intervals of time, followed by either an active (in a gaurd position) or passive (between rounds) rest period. Train it as such. Beyond your sparring and drills, start doing interval work. You can set up three days based on impact. One day can be done on a bike or air dyne, another day can be sprinting or prowler/car pushing, and a third day can be in the water. 1-2 min of work followed by 30 sec - 2 min of rest.

Br
Hey, thanks for the response!

I'm getting into interval training, I do seem better at that. I'm sprinting everyday for 30 minutes, and eventually I'll get into water exercises. With running distance it seems my lung capacity is low and my heart rate is very high; I'm out of breath and cannot continue after a relatively short distance. I've been practicing proper breathing control, i.e., in though the nose out the mouth with cadence, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I'm training in MMA for self-defense purposes and I think in a self defense situation interval training will help me to a certain extent, but I will still need constant endurance, because if an opponent has a far greater endurance capacity I will be in trouble, and that's what worries me.

If you got anymore advice it would be appreciated!

J

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You may just not know how to breathe properly for a run. To expand of what Zir said, the whole notion of jogging for any combat sports is archaic and rooted more in tradition than true application. It is used primarily for discipline and weight control than to actually increase the cardio capabilities of an athlete. If you can make it through several rounds of sparring without issue, then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You will rarely use aerobic conditioning for MMA as most rounds will not allow your body to use predominantly the aerobic system. However in saying that, if you just want to be able to run a mile no problem just for peace of mind and for general wellbeing, then take it slow. Fitness is a lifetime commitment, not a destination. Start with what you CAN do, if you can do a 1/2 mile, then do this. Time yourself, record it and use that as a starting point. And each time after you do it, aim to be a little faster each time you go. Do this until you can clearly determine that you can run an extra 1/4 or 1/2 mile extra. Then stick to these distances and time yourself, each time trying to do it faster than the time before.

Or, another approach, give yourself a realistic timeframe that you can run it that may just push the boundaries but only slightly from what you are capable of doing. For example, if you can comfortbly run 20minutes, then try running for 25-30minutes. Set yourself a time and not a distance. If you have a stepometer then use it. Each time you go out try run further in the same time frame so you push yourself harder and harder. Increase the running time when you want more challenges.

Of course though, this is only if you want to increase your aerobic capabilities. This won't help so much in a MMA situation.