Rear Delt Grip question! - AnabolicMinds.com

Rear Delt Grip question!

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Question Rear Delt Grip question!

Hey guys! I've been reading the AM forums for over a year now, and am now finally making a post! (FU** bb.com its noobs teaching noobs I need real advice...)

I was training shoulders today, and an old tymer (63yr old, but decently built) was watching me do front raises. When I finished he came up to me and informed me I was very disproportionate, having very strong front and side, but weak rears(i never skip rear delts). I thought this was a little unfair because I was pumped up from DB shoulder press, and front raises, and hadn't touch my rears yet, but whatever.

He led to to try reverse flys on the cables, and dumbbell raises on my stomach with a slightly inclined bench. He showed me as if I had never heard of a rear delt before, and as if I even asked for his advice (I did not). Anyways I went along with it and he insisted that I use a supinated grip for both exercises.( he explained to me what that was as if I have never heard of "supinated" and pronated".)

I have never personally seen anyone use this sort of grip for rear delts, but then I guess I never paid attention, and plenty of gym goes leave out rear delts completely where I am from. I am used to doing the opposite, "pinky up" grip for front and side raises. I tried his way,and didn't notice a great difference and it felt a little awkward, I may just need to work on it more.

Anyone on here have any feedback? Do u all use a palms up thumbs out sort of grip for rear delts?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

i only do facepulls and heavy rowing for rear delt work. and seeing as how my palms do not connect directly to my shoulders, that the forearms rotates separately from my shoulder, i see no need to have a certain grip other then the one that allows for the most weight and best form.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Ditch front raises completely. As the guy said, the anterior delt gets plenty of work from presses and doesn't need extra attention, and replace that volume with rear delt work. I vary up my grips; for facepulls and pullaparts, it's pronated. For rear flys, it's neutral.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Ditch front raises completely. As the guy said, the anterior delt gets plenty of work from presses and doesn't need extra attention, and replace that volume with rear delt work. I vary up my grips; for facepulls and pullaparts, it's pronated. For rear flys, it's neutral.
    ^ Good advice here
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Thanks for the responses! I think I will lay off the front raises as you suggested and add more volume to my rears. I really only do fronts because I enjoy the pump I get but I don't want to be unbalanced.

I'll continue to experiment with different grips, but won't over think it i guess. This guy standing over me put all sorts of thoughts in my head about having bad form, but it seems that was just HIS personal preference.
  6. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I've read that supinated-grip read delt raises decreases the involvement of the heads of the delt, but personally I find them very uncomfortable and neutral grip seems to get the job done just as well.

Sounds like this "old tymer" pissed you off by making that suggestion to you. His advice was solid and concerns a common topic - most lifters have drastically underdeveloped rear delts. Check your ego and listen to those with demonstrative knowledge - It's how we all learn and improve.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    I've read that supinated-grip read delt raises decreases the involvement of the heads of the delt, but personally I find them very uncomfortable and neutral grip seems to get the job done just as well.

Sounds like this "old tymer" pissed you off by making that suggestion to you. His advice was solid and concerns a common topic - most lifters have drastically underdeveloped rear delts. Check your ego and listen to those with demonstrative knowledge - It's how we all learn and improve.
    I suppose he did a little bit, not by criticizing, I'm glad to get advice or a flaw pointed out, but I guess I felt like he talked down to me considering his advice was unsolicited. It felt awkward to me but I wanted to be respectful so I gave it an honest try, but felt like maybe he was wrong hence the post.

Still, you are right I will do my best to check my ego at the door, its easy to get carried away at a small gym like mine without many serious lifters. I know I have a lot to learn and a lot to grow! Thanks for posting!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best for rear delt mass?
    By handzilla in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 11:41 PM
  2. Rear Delt
    By jbono731 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 03:06 PM
  3. Delt Injection Question
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 10:39 AM
  4. needle size for delt injections question.
    By OmarJackson in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 11:15 PM
  5. Rear Delt exercises (Posterior)
    By JonesersRX7 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 02:37 AM