Swimming/underwater training

jdss

jdss

Awards
I'm looking at challenging myself more in the pool - aside from laps , I push&carry 20lb bricks underwater , tread water no hands , no feet .. Are they're any new or other work outs anyone would recommend . I'm trying to gain more confidence in and under the water , as well as improving my recovery times from swimming underwater

F

foxpharma

Banned
Awards
I'm looking at challenging myself more in the pool - aside from laps , I push&carry 20lb bricks underwater , tread water no hands , no feet .. Are they're any new or other work outs anyone would recommend . I'm trying to gain more confidence in and under the water , as well as improving my recovery times from swimming underwater
Never in my life heard of something like that. But cool idea bro..

thehulk0316

thehulk0316

Awards
Hypoxic training as well as drownproofing will help you out on that. With Hypoxic training all you do I swim normally but every lap try an go more and more strokes without breathing. Example: first lap breath every 2 strokes, 2nd lap breath every 3, 3rd lap every fourth and so on. This is traditional Hypoxic training for a swimmer. With the drownproofing, you don't actually drown yourself and there are several techniques. The one I'm thinking for you is very basic but effective. Go to the deep end of the pool, at least 10ft deep and no more than 15ft deep. You hold your hands behind your back and straighten your boy out and exhale to sink all the way down to the bottom. When you touch the bottom push up with your feet/toes to come up to the surface and take a breath, exhale and go down again. Do this for 5minutes to begin. When you get more comfortable work up to 10 minutes. With water treading use different techniques which you can google. Holding a gallon jug over your head while you tread water will strengthen your trunk and legs. I've done and still do all of these. This is 14 years of competitive swimming and being a swimmer in the military talking. And I'm just giving my personal advice. Hope it helps.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try running the pool with a backpack with 2 of those bricks. Also you could invest in some weighted gloves to swim with.

thehulk0316

thehulk0316

Awards
Try running the pool with a backpack with 2 of those bricks. Also you could invest in some weighted gloves to swim with.
Not trying to put down anyone's advice as everyone has their own opinion in what works best but I'm not a big fan of weighted gloves. The bricks in the backpack is great and I'd definitely do that as well. When swimming I don't mind restricting anything but my hands unless I'm holding onto something such as a brick, bag of bricks or 160lb-200lb dummy. Weighted gloves seems like it would hinder proper technique. Which proper technique is huge for efficient swimming. Where it would help of course is if you don't care about technique & recovery training and just wanted to just burn yourself out.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not trying to put down anyone's advice as everyone has their own opinion in what works best but I'm not a big fan of weighted gloves. The bricks in the backpack is great and I'd definitely do that as well. When swimming I don't mind restricting anything but my hands unless I'm holding onto something such as a brick, bag of bricks or 160lb-200lb dummy. Weighted gloves seems like it would hinder proper technique. Which proper technique is huge for efficient swimming. Where it would help of course is if you don't care about technique & recovery training and just wanted to just burn yourself out.
Weighted gloves are used in football aswell as vest. Theory is it makes swimming /catching without them easier. If you can get form down with gloves you will be swimming like a fish in theory that is. But yes,it can burn you out.

Edit:wouldn't use them every swim. Once a week should suffice for the gloves.

thehulk0316

thehulk0316

Awards
Weighted gloves are used in football aswell as vest. Theory is it makes swimming /catching without them easier. If you can get form down with gloves you will be swimming like a fish in theory that is. But yes,it can burn you out.
I've used a vest between 20lbs and all the way up to 50lbs with gear and rescuing a training buddy. Never used the gloves but I've seen guys using them.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've used a vest between 20lbs and all the way up to 50lbs with gear and rescuing a training buddy. Never used the gloves but I've seen guys using them.
I used to run with them.makes any type of conditioning intense.

jdss

jdss

Awards
Hypoxic training as well as drownproofing will help you out on that. With Hypoxic training all you do I swim normally but every lap try an go more and more strokes without breathing. Example: first lap breath every 2 strokes, 2nd lap breath every 3, 3rd lap every fourth and so on. This is traditional Hypoxic training for a swimmer. With the drownproofing, you don't actually drown yourself and there are several techniques. The one I'm thinking for you is very basic but effective. Go to the deep end of the pool, at least 10ft deep and no more than 15ft deep. You hold your hands behind your back and straighten your boy out and exhale to sink all the way down to the bottom. When you touch the bottom push up with your feet/toes to come up to the surface and take a breath, exhale and go down again. Do this for 5minutes to begin. When you get more comfortable work up to 10 minutes. With water treading use different techniques which you can google. Holding a gallon jug over your head while you tread water will strengthen your trunk and legs. I've done and still do all of these. This is 14 years of competitive swimming and being a swimmer in the military talking. And I'm just giving my personal advice. Hope it helps.
I will def try that breathing drill - I haven't heard of that . As for the drownproofing - I've done that one , and can actually feel the difference once you relax your body , and accept the fact your under the water . I can go 25m underwater with a 20lb brick - its just unfortunate I'm somewhat limited to what I do, as I can only use a public pool, and I get a lot of concerns from the lifeguards .

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
I've been a surfer all my life, and I've yet to meet someone who can out swim me. If you have access to the ocean, than there is no better training than open water swimming, if not then the training program you've laid out should suffice,
Good luck.
Peace

thehulk0316

thehulk0316

Awards
+1 to open water swimming. Best water conditioning.

jdss

jdss

Awards
So I tried the pool today , but wore clothes in the pool to increase the resistance under , and above the water .. Needless to say , I am unable to travel half the distance with bricks underwater , with the clothes.. I know it isn't a back pack or gloves , but I guess anything that will do

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Def subbed to this; have some questions....
For u good swimmers.

T

trance4life

Awards
Never in my life heard of something like that. But cool idea bro..
agreed, sounds cool. Part of the fun is trying new things and seeing what works and how it feels. Go for it and let us know man

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If swimming in open water, obviously be careful about wearing clothes and things as if your not being watched, its very easy to be taken down without anyone noticing. Might sound pretty straight forward but I live in a country surrounded by water (NZ) and so many drown this way.

I found improving my Vo2 max to realy help me in and under the water and improving my aerobic capability by using the technique thehulk suggested (increasing stroke:breath ratio).

Good luck man, keep us updated on the progress

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I have a testing coming up:

I have to swim 50 yards in under 2 minutes with long pants on & a t shirt.
I have never really swam and I am not a good swimmer, any tips?

F

foxpharma

Banned
Awards
I have a testing coming up:

I have to swim 50 yards in under 2 minutes with long pants on & a t shirt.
I have never really swam and I am not a good swimmer, any tips?
Swim with long pants and shirt? Strange test....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
thehulk0316

thehulk0316

Awards
Swim with long pants and shirt? Strange test....
Not strange at all if your trying out for a SRT/TAC/SWAT/SF team. Pretty run of the mill actually. My advice do it a few times with full advantage. Meaning just goggles and bathing suit. Do this first a couple times to get used to it like this. Relaxation is huge and DO NOT hyperventilate yourself. Breath normal before you dive down, take a deep breath and use the walls to your advantage. Breaststroke is the best way to tackle this. Watch and rewatch on YouTube the proper pullout and streamline methods for this will be what helps you get this done fastest. When you re confident and comfortable doing this then and only then add pants, then shirt, then gear. This is my opinion and comes from my experience as someone that has lived in this environment all my life. Water is where I work and play. Relaxation is key. You'll find sooner or later that being comfortable and relaxed in and under the water will make it very easy to go 50m and or much more. I can personally do 75m with no issues.

F

foxpharma

Banned
Awards
Not strange at all if your trying out for a SRT/TAC/SWAT/SF team. Pretty run of the mill actually. My advice do it a few times with full advantage. Meaning just goggles and bathing suit. Do this first a couple times to get used to it like this. Relaxation is huge and DO NOT hyperventilate yourself. Breath normal before you dive down, take a deep breath and use the walls to your advantage. Breaststroke is the best way to tackle this. Watch and rewatch on YouTube the proper pullout and streamline methods for this will be what helps you get this done fastest. When you re confident and comfortable doing this then and only then add pants, then shirt, then gear. This is my opinion and comes from my experience as someone that has lived in this environment all my life. Water is where I work and play. Relaxation is key. You'll find sooner or later that being comfortable and relaxed in and under the water will make it very easy to go 50m and or much more. I can personally do 75m with no issues.
I think about something like a swat or military test. But I don't know, bad swimmer and join the special forces? Hm... but Arnold was governor so who knows......

thehulk0316

thehulk0316

Awards
I think about something like a swat or military test. But I don't know, bad swimmer and join the special forces? Hm... but Arnold was governor so who knows......
Pool and ocean work is the great equalizer. Most people don't really work on that unless you grew up in that environment. It's usually the separating factor in that kind of selection. That and being weak minded.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thanks. Great advice; others have mentioned the breaststroke as well....
I'm give that a go but I have less than 2 minutes.

Think about what you just said....

F

foxpharma

Banned
Awards
Thanks. Great advice; others have mentioned the breaststroke as well....
I'm give that a go but I have less than 2 minutes.

Think about what you just said....
Jesus don't be such a p****. Neg rep me for this Lmfao...
You must really explode from self confident if one statement pisses you off.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Jesus don't be such a p****. Neg rep me for this Lmfao...
You must really explode from self confident if one statement pisses you off.
Don't speak about stuff if you don't know whats going on...

F

foxpharma

Banned
Awards
Don't speak about stuff if you don't know whats going on...
Ok sergeant major aaromjp1 I'm out of your wonderful thread. Have fun hating me but still good luck with your goals. You get me wrong but that dosnt matter now.....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ok sergeant major aaromjp1 I'm out of your wonderful thread. Have fun hating me but still good luck with your goals. You get me wrong but that dosnt matter now.....
Not my thread. ;)

:wave2:

thehulk0316

thehulk0316

Awards
A solid underwater 50m swim will be under 1min. No problem.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
That's another part you have to keep your head above water... Sure it doesn't have to be the whole time though.
It's a police test....

thehulk0316

thehulk0316

Awards
Do "lifeguard" drills. This is basically freestyle with your head totally above water. Overtax and fatigue your shoulder which will improve your conditioning when swimming normally and improve your leg power.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Do "lifeguard" drills. This is basically freestyle with your head totally above water. Overtax and fatigue your shoulder which will improve your conditioning when swimming normally and improve your leg power.
Thank you.

jdss

jdss

Awards
That's good to know - i can make it about 30-35
Meters most in a bathing suite .. Its weird though because I can push a brick almost the same distance under the water , which makes me believe I'm under more stress , or stressing myself out with out the brick physiologically..

As for the open water , I'm unable to, I live in Ontario,Canada I have a pool not far from place.. Id like to keep my work outs to underwater , seeing as that's what I'll be tested , and that's what will make me more comfortable with

jdss

jdss

Awards
The exact routine I follow is :

Laps ; 4x front
4x side/rescue
4x breast
4 x back/ elementary for warm up

2 laps underwater at 50% , just relaxing myself and getting my breathing down..

5 laps pushing a 20lb brick underwater .. Everytime you need to come up for air I'm taking 2-3 deep breaths and going back down ( is this a mistake by not letting myself fully recover ?)

10-15 mins of treading water 1 min no hands , 1 min no feet , on and off ..

dround proofing for 3-5 mins

Max out tread time with the 20 lb brick / swim the bricks back to the other end of the pool

jdss

jdss

Awards
And I train 4-5 days a week.. Aside from other training I do.. I know I know "overtraining" but i think everyone knows their body and their limits , I fuel my body properly, take rest when I need it , and stretch out everyday

thehulk0316

thehulk0316

Awards
And I train 4-5 days a week.. Aside from other training I do.. I know I know "overtraining" but i think everyone knows their body and their limits , I fuel my body properly, take rest when I need it , and stretch out everyday
Your an adult bud. I wouldn't even get into the overtraining schtik. Listen to your body. Everyone has their own threshold. Also, with swimming, I find I can do that 5-6 times a week with varying degrees of intensity and have no recovery issues.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Difficult, I can't swim @ all.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Difficult, I can't swim @ all.
Invest in a swimming trainer and learn the basics of swimming before going in; i.e. if you struggle to do breaststroke in swimming gear, then dont attempt to do it unsupervised with long pants and a t shirt on; fpr your own safety.

Get into swim gear and nail down the basics then slowly add more layers as you gain more confidence in the water.

If you are treading water (which is a component of the NZ police test) then id advise youtubing how to "egg beater" kick in order to eliminate the use of hands. If you are too dependant on hands, it may fatigue you faster (more body segments in motion will increase how fast you fatigue) and also when you have to actually save somebody, you'll want your hands free to hold their head above water.

Hope this helps, keep us updated on progress

thehulk0316

thehulk0316

Awards
Invest in a swimming trainer and learn the basics of swimming before going in; i.e. if you struggle to do breaststroke in swimming gear, then dont attempt to do it unsupervised with long pants and a t shirt on; fpr your own safety.

Get into swim gear and nail down the basics then slowly add more layers as you gain more confidence in the water.

If you are treading water (which is a component of the NZ police test) then id advise youtubing how to "egg beater" kick in order to eliminate the use of hands. If you are too dependant on hands, it may fatigue you faster (more body segments in motion will increase how fast you fatigue) and also when you have to actually save somebody, you'll want your hands free to hold their head above water.

+1 on this. YouTube is great for this.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

Not a problem. Thx