Swimming/underwater training

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by thehulk0316
    A solid underwater 50m swim will be under 1min. No problem.
    That's good to know - i can make it about 30-35
    Meters most in a bathing suite .. Its weird though because I can push a brick almost the same distance under the water , which makes me believe I'm under more stress , or stressing myself out with out the brick physiologically..

As for the open water , I'm unable to, I live in Ontario,Canada I have a pool not far from place.. Id like to keep my work outs to underwater , seeing as that's what I'll be tested , and that's what will make me more comfortable with

2. Quote Originally Posted by thehulk0316

Not strange at all if your trying out for a SRT/TAC/SWAT/SF team. Pretty run of the mill actually. My advice do it a few times with full advantage. Meaning just goggles and bathing suit. Do this first a couple times to get used to it like this. Relaxation is huge and DO NOT hyperventilate yourself. Breath normal before you dive down, take a deep breath and use the walls to your advantage. Breaststroke is the best way to tackle this. Watch and rewatch on YouTube the proper pullout and streamline methods for this will be what helps you get this done fastest. When you re confident and comfortable doing this then and only then add pants, then shirt, then gear. This is my opinion and comes from my experience as someone that has lived in this environment all my life. Water is where I work and play. Relaxation is key. You'll find sooner or later that being comfortable and relaxed in and under the water will make it very easy to go 50m and or much more. I can personally do 75m with no issues.
    The exact routine I follow is :

Laps ; 4x front
    4x side/rescue
    4x breast
    4 x back/ elementary for warm up

2 laps underwater at 50% , just relaxing myself and getting my breathing down..

5 laps pushing a 20lb brick underwater .. Everytime you need to come up for air I'm taking 2-3 deep breaths and going back down ( is this a mistake by not letting myself fully recover ?)

10-15 mins of treading water 1 min no hands , 1 min no feet , on and off ..

dround proofing for 3-5 mins

Max out tread time with the 20 lb brick / swim the bricks back to the other end of the pool
    •   

3. And I train 4-5 days a week.. Aside from other training I do.. I know I know "overtraining" but i think everyone knows their body and their limits , I fuel my body properly, take rest when I need it , and stretch out everyday

4. Quote Originally Posted by jdss
    And I train 4-5 days a week.. Aside from other training I do.. I know I know "overtraining" but i think everyone knows their body and their limits , I fuel my body properly, take rest when I need it , and stretch out everyday
    Your an adult bud. I wouldn't even get into the overtraining schtik. Listen to your body. Everyone has their own threshold. Also, with swimming, I find I can do that 5-6 times a week with varying degrees of intensity and have no recovery issues.
    - Nick
    "If you look like food, you're gonna get eaten...Don't look like food."

5. Difficult, I can't swim @ all.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Difficult, I can't swim @ all.
    Invest in a swimming trainer and learn the basics of swimming before going in; i.e. if you struggle to do breaststroke in swimming gear, then dont attempt to do it unsupervised with long pants and a t shirt on; fpr your own safety.

Get into swim gear and nail down the basics then slowly add more layers as you gain more confidence in the water.

If you are treading water (which is a component of the NZ police test) then id advise youtubing how to "egg beater" kick in order to eliminate the use of hands. If you are too dependant on hands, it may fatigue you faster (more body segments in motion will increase how fast you fatigue) and also when you have to actually save somebody, you'll want your hands free to hold their head above water.

Hope this helps, keep us updated on progress

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz

Invest in a swimming trainer and learn the basics of swimming before going in; i.e. if you struggle to do breaststroke in swimming gear, then dont attempt to do it unsupervised with long pants and a t shirt on; fpr your own safety.

Get into swim gear and nail down the basics then slowly add more layers as you gain more confidence in the water.

If you are treading water (which is a component of the NZ police test) then id advise youtubing how to "egg beater" kick in order to eliminate the use of hands. If you are too dependant on hands, it may fatigue you faster (more body segments in motion will increase how fast you fatigue) and also when you have to actually save somebody, you'll want your hands free to hold their head above water.

+1 on this. YouTube is great for this.
    - Nick
    "If you look like food, you're gonna get eaten...Don't look like food."

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz

Not a problem. Thx
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. German Volume Training
    By wardog in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
  2. swimming, weight training
    By 84bandit in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2008, 08:52 AM
  3. whats your favorite muscle to train?
    By hamper19 in forum General Chat