Romanian & Straight-Leg Deads

bklaves

bklaves

Awards
Looked on the net, but the best and brightest are on AM. Difference in technique? Thank you all.

sprintstar01

Awards
I do straight leg and I never round my back like that?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The above link shows a very incorrect form of a SLDL. Upper back will round, but lower back should never round like that even for a SLDL.

Better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VSV_SC_4AU&feature=player_embedded

Keep legs straight, push hips back. Do not perform if you have poor hip mobility - stick to RDLs, or do one of the other thousand hamstring exercises instead until you develop proper hip mobility.

mylo

mylo

Awards
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html

that link really explains it well. the back rounds on the straight legged one. most people do not need that one IMO. it is more of an advanced movement.

i've actually gone up to 375x2 for stiff legged, without any back pain whatsoever. i've heard that the lower and middle back are the only parts of the back that need to remain straight. if you've ever seen konstantin konstantinovs deadlift you'd find that his upper back is always rounded even when he's doing heavy deadlifts. (KK actually was born with bad spine).

it works for me but as you said it can be considered an advanced movement and everyone's body works differently.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i've actually gone up to 375x2 for stiff legged, without any back pain whatsoever. i've heard that the lower and middle back are the only parts of the back that need to remain straight. if you've ever seen konstantin konstantinovs deadlift you'd find that his upper back is always rounded even when he's doing heavy deadlifts. (KK actually was born with bad spine).

it works for me but as you said it can be considered an advanced movement and everyone's body works differently.
A rounded thoracic is fine, but not a rounded lumbar.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Straight leg deadlifts are done with locked knees and often a rounded back (and really should be taken out of any program).
Stiff leg deadlifts the knees unlock to let the weight travel below the knee but lock again when the weight ascends to mid-thigh and the back is straight.
Rumanian deadlifts the knees are always slightly bent.

Br

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My bad, I guess I assumed straight leg and stiff leg were interchangeable, and I didn't know they were different.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Straight leg deadlifts are done with locked knees and often a rounded back (and really should be taken out of any program).
Stiff leg deadlifts the knees unlock to let the weight travel below the knee but lock again when the weight ascends to mid-thigh and the back is straight.
Rumanian deadlifts the knees are always slightly bent.

Br
Rumanian, are they similar to Romanian? ;)

I wonder if part of the problem is because people use the terms interchangeably. I have no intention to ever put a deadlift with an intentionally, exaggerated rounded spine into someone's programme.