leg training split help

1. Registered User
    Answers

I've been doing quads and calves on Monday and hamstrings and calves on Thursday but when ever i do hamstrings my quads are still very sore and hurt to touch. So i cant do lying leg curls or seats leg curls. The reason I've been doing hams and quads separate is because i just get to sore and tired to do both. So i would rather split it up so i could get two good workouts. But i haven't been able to. What would you guys recommend i do?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Answers

I would do them together. Squats hit both, so do them first and then do your iso movements. You could either prioritize and hit whichever is lagging first, or switch back and forth weekly rotating which iso movement you do first.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Standing hip extension movements such as rumanian deadlifts and good mornings will remedy this and then for knee flexion you have Ghr or you can do standing knee flexion w most any cable machine set up
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    Standing hip extension movements such as rumanian deadlifts and good mornings will remedy this and then for knee flexion you have Ghr or you can do standing knee flexion w most any cable machine set up
    ^^

Yes, and the major function of the hamstrings with regard to strength and power is hip extension, as required during deadlifts, squats, running, etc. And if your quads are sore to the touch then you need to cut back on negatives and forced reps.

Br
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Your diet might also be partly to blame for the painful DOMS you're experiencing. I've noticed personally and with some trainees that cleaning up your diet makes a big difference when it comes to DOMS. Something to think about if it's affecting your workouts.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Agree with a lot of the info above, I've got an idea for if you end up going back to both hams/quads on the same day once a week. Since you mentioned doing both on the same day fatigues you too much, I'd recommend sticking to movements that work both muscle groups, but that you can manipulate slightly for more emphasis on quads or hams.

Try rotating squat/leg press stances. For example, one week squat/leg press with a close stance to hit quads a little better, and then the following week squat/leg press with a wider stance to better hit hams, or on hamstring emphasis day switch out leg press for deads.

Then maybe finish with an iso movement for each, like leg extensions/curls.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. New Training Split for more mass in Legs
    By ScottyDoc in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 07:19 PM
  2. Training split question...need help
    By HardHatArea in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 11:48 PM
  3. My new training program (HELP!)
    By SummusMentis in forum Exercise Science