Is 2 SETS enough? - AnabolicMinds.com

Is 2 SETS enough?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  204 lbs.

Is 2 SETS enough?

So, if I am on a "Muscle a day" split, so I am hitting each muscle with multiple excersises, is 2 sets for some enough? I know this is a beat to death subject. Some say you need ATLEAST 3 sets per excersise, some say for bodybuilding/hypertrophy do 4+ and on the opposite side, such as Dorian Yates, advocate 1-2 sets per excersise balls to the wall is enough....

For example-
    CHEST DAY:

Bench 3x8
    Decline 2x8
    DB Incline 2X8-12

Flies 4X8-12

Would the Decline and Incline be wasted with only 2 sets?

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

Many times ive done only a single set and it works fine. Progressive overload is key, tho. Say your doing an excercise for 10 reps, next week do either 11 reps or add 5lbs.
    CELTIC LABS REP
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

And your chest day looks fine
    CELTIC LABS REP
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Looks good to me. Over time make sure ur progressing some how. More sets, more weight, more reps.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

In addition to the good comments above, I'd say just make sure intensity is ratcheted up. Get the most out of those two sets!
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  204 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Doss View Post
    In addition to the good comments above, I'd say just make sure intensity is ratcheted up. Get the most out of those two sets!

Cool, I guess I have always had it in my head "I HAD TO DO AT LEAST 3".

Ill just do a warm up, then hit those 2 sets HARD AND HEAVY!

Last thing, now that I have that mentality, what about people that do like 5 sets and 5 excersises, there on the opposite side, and it seems like you would be usless by the last few excersises?
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantell View Post
    Last thing, now that I have that mentality, what about people that do like 5 sets and 5 excersises, there on the opposite side, and it seems like you would be usless by the last few excersises?
    I wouldn't get too caught up in what other people are doing unless it appeals to you. I see people everyday in the gym doing every kind of set/rep range and for some it works, for others not. I think it's more a matter of what stimulates your muscles best and keeps you gaining.

Personally, I used to be a bit of a volume junkie. For the last 6 months or so though I've really been becoming more of a proponent of higher intensity/lower volume work. You've just got to put in the time and see what works for you!
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantell View Post
    I wouldn't get too caught up in what other people are doing unless it appeals to you. I see people everyday in the gym doing every kind of set/rep range and for some it works, for others not. I think it's more a matter of what stimulates your muscles best and keeps you gaining.

Personally, I used to be a bit of a volume junkie. For the last 6 months or so though I've really been becoming more of a proponent of higher intensity/lower volume work. You've just got to put in the time and see what works for you!
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Technically you're still doing a total of 11 sets for a single muscle, more than enough. Volume workouts (which yours would be, considering it's 11 sets of 8 reps for a total of 88 reps for a single muscle) require an adequate diet and meal timing (adequate carbs peri-workout) to properly recover and get results, so I'd worry more about that than anything else. But to answer your question, that would be enough.

If you're happy with your routine, one thing you might think about doing is doing flat bench for three sets as the first exercise in your split for 3-4 weeks, then do incline as the first exercise for 3 sets in your split for the next 3-4 weeks, and keep rotating like that.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

If you don't think it's enough, then make the last set a drop and/or rest-pause set.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  204 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Technically you're still doing a total of 11 sets for a single muscle, more than enough. Volume workouts (which yours would be, considering it's 11 sets of 8 reps for a total of 88 reps for a single muscle) require an adequate diet and meal timing (adequate carbs peri-workout) to properly recover and get results, so I'd worry more about that than anything else. But to answer your question, that would be enough.

If you're happy with your routine, one thing you might think about doing is doing flat bench for three sets as the first exercise in your split for 3-4 weeks, then do incline as the first exercise for 3 sets in your split for the next 3-4 weeks, and keep rotating like that.

You always see that the recomended number of sets for Chest is 12-16...

However this is NOT my chest workout, just using it as an example for having some excersises as 2 sets.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Dorian Yates only did 1 working set per exercise....intensity is more important then volume. I do 2 sets per exercise...
    Olympus labs Rep
    Olympus Labs, a line of products that will turn men into demigods.
    visit us at: olympus-labs.com
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by edje007 View Post
    Dorian Yates only did 1 working set per exercise....intensity is more important then volume. I do 2 sets per exercise...
    Well, technically optimal results should be some formula of intensity and volume where when intensity goes up, volume goes down; and when intensity goes down, volume goes up.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

that's true....
    Olympus labs Rep
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I've been doing hst program and I'm loving it so far. Look into it if youre looking for a change.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

looks a bit like the nautilus type of training. Only Nautilus suggest 1 set till failure.

I sometimes go for this type of training for a week or 6. After 6 weeks the kick is out of the programme.
    Olympus labs Rep
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

I'm not going to argue what is more important because certainly It's a relationship between volume, intensity, loadamongst a host of other variables, however, there are studies that suggest 1 set to failure is not as effective as multiple sets. I'm on my phone so I cannot link but I would imagine they'd be fairly easy to find with Google.

Again, do what works for you but I'd be remiss if I didn't give you guys something to think about. It's what we should do
  18. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

No right answer, as to sets , reps or weight. U can go with no program bit a set of exercises. Don't count sets or reps just push to failure.
    And then try for two more
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619
  19. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    I'm not going to argue what is more important because certainly It's a relationship between volume, intensity, loadamongst a host of other variables, however, there are studies that suggest 1 set to failure is not as effective as multiple sets. I'm on my phone so I cannot link but I would imagine they'd be fairly easy to find with Google.

Again, do what works for you but I'd be remiss if I didn't give you guys something to think about. It's what we should do
    I believe that is mainly for strength gains, though. I'm assuming strength is not the goal for OP since he's training muscles and not movements.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post

I can definitely see that. You're just not going to tap into a maximal set of muscle fibers with one set no matter how you cut it, unless you're an incredibly elite lifter who can activate 100% of your muscle fibers. And who can do that, anyways? We definitely haven't seen the limit of human strength yet, so we know nobody is getting there yet.

Now I'm digressing. However, I think if you doggcrapp a set (love that word) you can be as effective if not more than using multiple sets.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

I believe that is mainly for strength gains, though. I'm assuming strength is not the goal for OP since he's training muscles and not movements.
    Yes, good point. A little bit of an oversight on my part but food for thought, none the less.
  22. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post

Now I'm digressing. However, I think if you doggcrapp a set (love that word) you can be as effective if not more than using multiple sets.
    DC is an excellent low volume approach for size. Im also a huge fan of the 20 rep squat approach for legs.
    CELTIC LABS REP
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. is nolva enough?
    By millerman in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 07:14 AM
  2. Is it enough?
    By Bowles in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2005, 10:07 PM
  3. 300mg of eq. is that enough?