What exercise routine is the best to build muscle for bodybuilding?

petricabilo

Awards
What is better to build muscle for bodybuilding, to start with the maximum weight that you can do and take off little by little? Or to start low and increase in weight? Also how many reps and sets should I do? Should I keep the reps and sets high or low?

diezel

Awards
  • Established
There's no best routine. You'll find what works best for one person may be counterproductive for another. A lot of it is trial and error. Just be sure to utilize compound movements like squat, deadlift,bench press, rows, pullups, ect. Train intensely, eat as much as possible, avoid alcohol and processed foods, and get plenty of rest. Do this and you'll grow.

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
^^^ Above post is excellent advice.

If there was one best routine/ # reps/sets, then everyone would be doing it and we would all be huge.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
here are some principles to help.

1)do what you suck at the most. dont make it easy on yourself. when you suck at something your body has to adapt by getting stronger/bigger so do that.

2)all rep ranges build part of the muscle. here is an example of how to determine what works what:
http://homeworkoutblog.com/how-many-reps-to-build-muscle/

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Progressing, eating and sleeping are key

itsmebigpapa

Awards
There's no best routine. You'll find what works best for one person may be counterproductive for another. A lot of it is trial and error. Just be sure to utilize compound movements like squat, deadlift,bench press, rows, pullups, ect. Train intensely, eat as much as possible, avoid alcohol and processed foods, and get plenty of rest. Do this and you'll grow.
haha if only we could all do this

brickshthouse

Awards
Great posts above. You may also want to check out HST.

boogyman

Awards
Exactly 9 reps, and 14 sets. Any more or any less will result in strength loss, hairy palms, gyno and male pattern baldness.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
This about sums it up.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Exactly 9 reps, and 14 sets. Any more or any less will result in strength loss, hairy palms, gyno and male pattern baldness.
This about sums it up.

dillianc

Awards
As everyone is saying, what works for one may not work for the next. I just recently started putting my workouts together the night before. I write them down and I compare but something changes in my splits every week. My gains have been increasing.

Make sure you are eating clean though as this is very important to your gains other than that you will find what works for you. dont be afraid to try new things. If you are then just stop now.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
this is just my opinion, but what people see as trial and error and what works for one person doesnt work for another is nothing but not knowing all the variables. one in particular, training age, gets left out a lot.

i first read about this when reading a charles poliquin article on tnation years ago. ill try and write up the cliff notes.

lets start with 2 trainees, a new person to lifting and a person with years of experience. both are looking at getting stronger and bigger. they both are going for 30 total reps to reach their goals.

the new person has found that 3 sets of 10 are helping them reach their goals quite well.

the advanced lifter found that 10 sets of 3 helped them reach their goals quite well.

both lifters were probably using similar percentages as well. but after 3 sets the unconditioned new person fatigued to the point that continuing was of no use. the advanced lifter took several sets to really get going and even at the end may have felt worked but not totally drained. they may have even gone on to do more accessory work and some more conditioning to help with recovery.

i see this scenario all the time and people actually think its trial and error. it only is if you dont understand programming with training age. the advanced lifter has a greater training age, greater conditioning, greater efficiency in using muscle fibers, among other improved variables. so its not trial and error but knowing how to program for the person and the goals, not just the goals.

i also remember reading dave tate articles on tnation. he was talking about his stint in bodybuilding. when he first started he was very strong and was able to push more weight then the other bodybuilders. but he could not push as long. over the years he could push a lot of weight for a long time and for many sets. then he decided to get back into powerlifting. he could barely lift more then what he could rep out for bodybuilding. he found a fact in training, that training specificity has an effect on overall abilities. he did not train for 1 rep maxes and therefore lost the ability to do them well.

on the scenario above some would say he should stick with bodybuilding as he is good at it. he was good at it due to him training for bodybuilding and not for powerlifting. as many of us dave turned out to be a great powerlifter and when he went back to training for it, it showed.

there is also the psychological aspect. and by that i mean some can push hard all the time, and some can push hard only on programs they believe in. if you dont train hard a great program will look like it sucks. it wasnt the program, it was the execution. add in that some people will only try a program for a week or 4 and they really have no idea if it will work as they should have spent at least 6 months on it.

there is another aspect i believe in for the what works for one will not work for another thing. we are all homo sapiens. we have the same anatomy and the same physiology therefore the same mechanisms behind exercise and adaptation. many aspects of us can be explained by chemistry. we apply stimulus and our body reacts via adaptation. this stimulus increases hormones which help the adaptation. and here is where we experience a difference. some people have more hormones, some are more sensitive to those hormones. and these are just chemical reactions that a chemist can easily explain with science. these are set mechanisms that are going to happen with everyone at precisely measured and expected reaction amounts. there is no magic or sorcery to it. hormones are a great example as we all know an 18yr old male has massive test production while a 48yr old male may have just a small fraction. there is no trial and error to understand that the older person needs a different program to take that into account.

and wow, did i type way too much.

**gets off soap box**