out of shape Newbie needs help!

Blakeswolf

Awards
hi everyone.
I am 30 years old and I am tired of being fat. I am just so confused as to where and how to begin. I don't know anything about working out. I have joined gyms in the past and have even hired personal trainers to no avail. I go in and I am so overwhelmed and intimidated I give up very easily. The personal trainers I have had in the past helped me lose some weight, but they never taught me anything. There was no explanation as to why we worked on a certain machine or station. I couldn't continue paying the high fees only to create a never ending cycle of building a crutch on someone else to the point where i was helpless without them. Is there somewhere I can go to learn how to work out and eat properly? Should I just focus on cardio until i trim the fat and then start looking into the weights? or should I do both at the same time? I work a lot of really long odd hours. I don't usually get breaks during my work shifts. I make miserbly poor choices in food because of being so tired from work. When I come home, the only thing I want to do is be lazy. I am to blame for my current position in life and I am ready to take control of it. I just need major help. Thank you anyone for reading this and even more thanks for any advice that is given.

jondel

jondel

Awards
yeah man, i suggest doing a medium intensity cardio session before all your workouts. that will get you in the mindset , warmed up and ready to start. but all the exercise wont matter if your diet is s***. what is ur daily calorie intake?

Blakeswolf

Awards
Honestly.... I have never really paid it much mind.... some days i barely eat anything... Other days I gorge myself. What is a good daily intake for a 30 year old 6'1" male?

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Honestly.... I have never really paid it much mind.... some days i barely eat anything... Other days I gorge myself. What is a good daily intake for a 30 year old 6'1" male?
So your cals have been bouncing around? That's certainly a problem

Blakeswolf

Awards
yes they have. My life has been very out of control, to be honest I have just been so overwhelmed I was apathetic. Besides, everyone in my family is overweight, so it is not like I have had the best example to follow. Im just so lost and ready to turn it all around and break that cycle.

GeovanniG

GeovanniG

Awards
Don't pay for another personal trainer especially if your not learning anything. Your wasting money.

The first thing you should do clean out your diet by eating more natural foods. Also, try eating more protein and veggies with every meal (it will full you up quicker).

Since your limited on time, you should spend the time lifting weights (unless your really out of shape then stick to doing cardio). Weight training will help you build muscle and lose fat at the same time, especially since your a beginner.

jondel

jondel

Awards
i am really interested to help in your transformation, i would say a healthy male ur age should eat 2400-2900

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
Start by taking out processed foods,
Then start lifting weights,
then start a low intensity cardio routine working up to higher and higher intensity

Get a picture in your mind of what you want to look like and want it more then anything in the world.

Don't give up and you will go far.

Blakeswolf

Awards
Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me. OK... so first thing is first... clean out the cupboards. lol Second, weight train.... Where do I even begin? I don't know proper form or technique. do I work certain areas of the body on certain days? Should I go to the gym the same time everyday or is it OK to go whenever works with my schedule? is there any programs I should follow? Third, Introduce cardio. Are elliptical trainers any count? I have a severely bad knee, It was kicked in backwards by a steer when I was younger, so running or jogging on the pavement is out of the question.
I feel like such an idiot sometimes because i am so ignorant to all of this. Which is usually why I give up.

jondel

jondel

Awards
Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me. OK... so first thing is first... clean out the cupboards. lol Second, weight train.... Where do I even begin? I don't know proper form or technique. do I work certain areas of the body on certain days? Should I go to the gym the same time everyday or is it OK to go whenever works with my schedule? is there any programs I should follow? Third, Introduce cardio. Are elliptical trainers any count? I have a severely bad knee, It was kicked in backwards by a steer when I was younger, so running or jogging on the pavement is out of the question.
I feel like such an idiot sometimes because i am so ignorant to all of this. Which is usually why I give up.
they is no need to be intimidated in the gym, everybody is there for the same reason just some more dedicated then others. yeah, go onto the internet and type in either 3 day weight training split or 5 day weight training splits, there are tons of plans for free on the internet.

most things in weight training is trial and error until you find what works for you.

that is a bad*** injury by the way, just sucks that it has forced you to be disabled to running and s***

Blakeswolf

Awards
they is no need to be intimidated in the gym, everybody is there for the same reason just some more dedicated then others. yeah, go onto the internet and type in either 3 day weight training split or 5 day weight training splits, there are tons of plans for free on the internet.

most things in weight training is trial and error until you find what works for you.

that is a bad*** injury by the way, just sucks that it has forced you to be disabled to running and s***
Thank you so much. I really appreciate a perfect stranger being willing to help me find my way. Ok I am going to get over my fears and intimidation and make this happen.
Yeah it was a pretty nasty injury to have happened at an early age, but that's all part of growing up on a cattle ranch in south Texas.. lol It makes for a great story to tell though. even though I am so intimidated by the weight training part, I LOVE to run. Of course, I am on the elliptical. About 6 months ago, I started going to the gym 5 days a week. I would stay on the elliptical for about an hour and run 5-6 miles. It was a great feeling as long as I had my ipod, I could push through pretty easily. Then life got in the way and I started making excuses.

jondel

jondel

Awards
that how things go, well if you really want to change, which it sounds like you do, how good of shape are you currently in? whats ur weight, bf% ( guess) , height?

Blakeswolf

Awards
Currently, I am very very out of shape. I wouldn't even begin to know how to guess my bf%. I weigh 290. I'm 6'1". Of course it may be wishful thinking, but I like to think I have a larger frame and a fair amount of muscle buried underneath my fat layer. I could be wrong though. I think a weight that I could look very healthy at is maybe around 220. I would love to have really nice arms, shoulders and chest. I wouldn't mind keeping a little tummy. I know that sounds a little funny.

Blakeswolf

Awards
image-1884353094.jpg

My body as of 7-15-2012.

image-2912164201.jpg

This is the type of body I would love to have. Great Armstrong chest and shoulders. A little bit of tummy.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
:boggled: ^

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i say budd, kinda going to repeat some things, diet is number one for all... it helps to record to, i reccondmend myfitnesspal.com. also find out what your daily needs are, google it should be one of the first couple links. than do a well documented workout like wendler 5/3/1 and lastly one of the less appreciated, start a log record everything and post it here. it will keep you motivated, i know ill follow it

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
try looking up full body circuit routines also. that will at least get you started with the basics of lifting and burning some calories. research everything that everyone tells you on here with google and find the routine that will fit your schedule. drink nothing but water from here on out. drop the soda. drop the beer. eat meat, veggies, nuts and whole grains.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
try looking up full body circuit routines also. that will at least get you started with the basics of lifting and burning some calories. research everything that everyone tells you on here with google and find the routine that will fit your schedule. drink nothing but water from here on out. drop the soda. drop the beer. eat meat, veggies, nuts and whole grains.
Agree with dropping soda & beer. Usually have 1 of those types of a drink once or twice a week at best.

I'm still a fan of a full body routine 3-4 times a week when I'm crunched for time. Difficult now though, I some days use a upper/lower split.

Blakeswolf

Awards
I recently dropped all soda and beer and artificial sweetness about a month ago. All I drink is water now. And lots of it. Thank you everyone for the help and encouragement. I truly appreciate it.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
Hell you can loss weight just trading beer for scotch or whiskey. It sounds really odd but it has much lower carbs. Just dont mix it with sugary drinks be a man and drink it straight.

Push/pull/legs is my favorite program to get someone started with lifting, it is difficult at first but gets them caught up faster (if they can stick with it).

Full bodies 3 days a week also work but push/pull/legs is the best IMO.

jondel

jondel

Awards
being as tall and heavy as you are, there is sure to be a hell of strong muscle underniethe you just need to access it. nd it doesnt sound weird, you just want to just look natural