How Much weight to drop when raising reps?

AmazingAJ

Awards
So currently i bench 125 for 3 sets of 10 reps. Next week i am going to go for 3x12 on all exercises. So if raising 2 reps how much weight should i drop? Does 115 for 3x12 sound about right or drop more weight?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
So currently i bench 125 for 3 sets of 10 reps. Next week i am going to go for 3x12 on all exercises. So if raising 2 reps how much weight should i drop? Does 115 for 3x12 sound about right or drop more weight?
You should worry about the other way around...something called strength progression...If you can do 125x10x3 you should probably start working your way up to 135x10 by challenging the plates already, even if it takes rest pauses to get there...But yeah...build up more weight not more reps maybe?...

AmazingAJ

Awards
Ya i figured that but im cutting and i feel higher reps actually work better for me. But i totally get what ur saying

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
A good way would be to keep the 125 and push harder to get the 12 reps, body burns more calories (albeit just a tiny bit more) when pushed to the limit and challenged...and its fun to keep it hard at the gym haha.

AmazingAJ

Awards
Lol haha well 125 x 10!is hard enough. But thats a good isea too

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Lol haha well 125 x 10!is hard enough. But thats a good isea too
Boy or girl :blink:?

And BTW , rest pausing to add up to 12 is a good option. If not , adding drop sets is a common tactic for people cutting...as long as you get your workout experience satisfied (weather just breaking a sweat, getting a pump, looking for hypertrophy) apply anything in the appropriate manner with proper rest and periodization and done! haha

boogyman

Awards
You also may want to at least consider trying a lower rep scheme when cutting. A lot of people have success maintaining and even building strength on a cut doing lower rep ranges with heavier weight.

AmazingAJ

Awards
Completely unrelated but i also have DAA AND ERASE that i never used. Would it be a good idea to use while cutting or save for bulk? And also on dosing erase is 2 caps in am with DAA Good?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Completely unrelated but i also have DAA AND ERASE that i never used. Would it be a good idea to use while cutting or save for bulk? And also on dosing erase is 2 caps in am with DAA Good?
Yes fine to use on a cut to keep strength. DAA dose 3g on an empty stomach in the AM along with 2 caps Erase, the 3rd erase cap at night.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
None add one Rep a week keep the weight the same till u hit 12 reps then lower ur reps and raise ur weight.. repeat

niZmo

niZmo

Awards
I try to pack on as much weight as I possibly can, I used to do 12x3..I found myself getting tired quickly, which wouldn't allow me to progress very far. Now I usually do 6-8x3..the first set being medium intensity (12 slow reps), the second one being higher (8 reps), and the last one being highest (6 reps). Example:
Bench Press
Set 1: 135 lbsx12
Set 2: 155 lbs x8
Set 3: 165 lbsx6

I was reading a number of articles that suggest rack lockouts, which allow you to lift much more than you would be able to on the bench.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
None add one Rep a week keep the weight the same till u hit 12 reps then lower ur reps and raise ur weight.. repeat
perfect advice right here!!