Each Body Part 2x a week help

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.86%

Each Body Part 2x a week help

So I'm going to be on a bulk starting in the middle of September, running either P-Mag or Mechabol (haven't decided yet). Trying to set up a solid routine that would allow me to work body parts 2x a week (7 day rotation). I'm thinking of doing the following:

Monday: Power Upper (consisting up 3 exercises back, 3 chest, 1 bicep, 1 tricep, shoulders will be on Tuesday)
    Tuesday: Power Shoulders/Power Lower
    Wednesday: REST
    Thursday: Chest/Back Hypertrophy
    Friday: Arms Hypertrophy
    Saturday: Legs Hypertrophy
    Saturday: REST

The Power Days would consist of one exercise 3 sets of 5 reps, one exercise 3 sets of 6-10 reps, and one exercise 2 sets 8-12 reps. This would be for chest and back. Arms would be 3 sets of 6-8 reps. I'll add in more exercises for legs (they aren't a concern/weakness, except calves)

Hypertrophy Days would be two exercises 8-12 reps, one at 12-15 reps, one at 15-20 reps, about a minute rest in between everything. (14-16 sets for chest/back, 8-12 sets for arms)

Last fall I pretty much ran Chest/ Back, Arms, Legs, repeat, Rest, all hypertrophy. Got good results but some days I couldn't handle such high volume twice a week so I thought I would change it a bit.

Main area of concern is upper body, specifically: Chest esp./Back (Width/Thickness), Biceps, Front Delts, Traps, and Calves

I appreciate any help/suggestions to make the routine more effective. Thanks!

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

That is a lot of use of the shoulder joint, and two days of heavy presses (Monday and Tuesday) in a row is problematic.

I would structure your Monday/Tuesday workouts based on movements, not muscle groups.

Monday: Horizontal Press, Horizontal Pull, Vertical Press, Vertical Pull.
    You can rotate the order bi-weekly (M1: Bench Press, Barbell row, Overhead press, pull up. M2: OH Press, Pull up, bench press, row)
    Or on quad-weekly basis (M1: BP, row, OHP, PU. M2: Row, OHP, PU, BP. M3: OHP, PU, BP, Row, M4: PU, BP, Row, OHP. Repeat)

You could do straight 3x5's for all exercises. Or you could do the first two at 5x3, and the next two at 3x5. That way, you are rotating rep ranges every other week as well.

With an arms day later in the week I really don't see a need for any direct typical bicep or tricep work. The other exercises should be ancillary/fixator/core if you have the energy.

Later in the week, I would suggest you split your work this way to give the shoulder joint a rest from direct work.

Chest/back
    Legs
    Arms/Delts

Br
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.86%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    That is a lot of use of the shoulder joint, and two days of heavy presses (Monday and Tuesday) in a row is problematic.

Later in the week, I would suggest you split your work this way to give the shoulder joint a rest from direct work.

Chest/back
    Legs
    Arms/Delts

Br
    This would mean arms/delts on Saturday, and then back to Heavy Push/Pull on Monday. Would that be sufficient rest for the arms/delts to recover and not hinder the heavier lifts on Monday?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.76%

I would structure your Monday/Tuesday workouts based on movements, not muscle groups.

Monday: Horizontal Press, Horizontal Pull, Vertical Press, Vertical Pull.
    You can rotate the order bi-weekly (M1: Bench Press, Barbell row, Overhead press, pull up. M2: OH Press, Pull up, bench press, row)
    Or on quad-weekly basis (M1: BP, row, OHP, PU. M2: Row, OHP, PU, BP. M3: OHP, PU, BP, Row, M4: PU, BP, Row, OHP. Repeat)

You could do straight 3x5's for all exercises. Or you could do the first two at 5x3, and the next two at 3x5. That way, you are rotating rep ranges every other week as well.

With an arms day later in the week I really don't see a need for any direct typical bicep or tricep work. The other exercises should be ancillary/fixator/core if you have the energy.

Chest/back
    Legs
    Arms/Delts

Br
    ^ Agreed

and also OP your layout looks extremely similar to layne nortons PHAT routine except it would be structured like this:

Monday: Upper Power
    Tuesday: Lower Power
    Wednesday: OFF
    Thursday: Back/Shoulders Hypertrophy
    Friday: Legs Hypertrophy
    Saturday: Chest/Arms Hypertrophy
    Sunday: OFF

Reference can be found here: http : // www . simplyshredded . com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011. html

Remove spaces to link
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.86%

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    ^ Agreed

and also OP your layout looks extremely similar to layne nortons PHAT routine except it would be structured like this:

Monday: Upper Power
    Tuesday: Lower Power
    Wednesday: OFF
    Thursday: Back/Shoulders Hypertrophy
    Friday: Legs Hypertrophy
    Saturday: Chest/Arms Hypertrophy
    Sunday: OFF

Reference can be found here: http : // www . simplyshredded . com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011. html

Remove spaces to link
    That is what I am basing it off of. Layne also has a PHAT using chest/back hyper and arms hyper, which is the one I've posted. I've seen him use both formats and I just prefer this one over the other. I just had shoulders moved to Tuesday because they'd be exhausted on power upper day and unable to lift as much.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%

Quote Originally Posted by getbig89 View Post
    This would mean arms/delts on Saturday, and then back to Heavy Push/Pull on Monday. Would that be sufficient rest for the arms/delts to recover and not hinder the heavier lifts on Monday?

After a period of adaptation to the increased frequency you'll be fine. Monday is neural based, Saturday is metabolic. Also, the point of Monday's workout is not exhuastion, but progress and over load. Monday and Tuesday you cannot think of in terms of muscle groups, but in terms of movements.

Br
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.86%

Okay thanks...Here's what I was thinking for exercises if anyone has any suggestions:

Power Chest: Flat Dumbbell Press, Incline Dumbbell Press, Flat Dumbbell Flyes (weighted chest dips instead of flyes?)
    Power Back: Rack Pull, Barbell Row, T-Bar Row (maybe something more for width in here? weighted pull ups?)
    Power Shoulders: Seated Military

Chest Hyper: Incline Dumbell Press, Flat Dumbbell Press, Flat Flyes, Cable Crossovers
    Back Hyper: Wide Grip/Neutral Grip Pull ups, Barbell Rows, Lat Pull Down, Dumbbell Rows
    Shoulders Hyper: Seated Military, Front Raises, Side Raises, Rear Delt raises lying on bench, Shrugs
    Triceps Hyper: Close Grip Bench Press, Skull Crushers, Barbell Extensons, Rope Press down
    Biceps Hyper: Standing Barbell Curl, Preacher Curl, Incline Dumbbell Curls, Concentration Curls
    Legs: (more concerned with upper, have a solid leg routine)

The biggest concern for me is Chest and Biceps, they are both lagging behind, back as well but not as much
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%

Okay thanks...Here's what I was thinking for exercises if anyone has any suggestions:

Power Chest: Flat Dumbbell Press, Incline Dumbbell Press, Flat Dumbbell Flyes (weighted chest dips instead of flyes?)
    Power Back: Rack Pull, Barbell Row, T-Bar Row (maybe something more for width in here? weighted pull ups?)
    Thinking muscles for Thur-sat is fine. Thinking muscles on mon/tue is a mistake.

I would go just like this:

Week 1: Push Press, pull ups, incline press, t-bar rows.
    Week 2: Bench press, barbell row, standing over head press, pull ups.

Br
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.97%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Chest Hyper: Incline Dumbell Press, Flat Dumbbell Press, Flat Flyes, Cable Crossovers

Back Hyper: Wide Grip/Neutral Grip Pull ups, Barbell Rows, Lat Pull Down, Dumbbell Rows
    Shoulders Hyper: Seated Military, Front Raises, Side Raises, Rear Delt raises lying on bench, Shrugs
    Triceps Hyper: Close Grip Bench Press, Skull Crushers, Barbell Extensons, Rope Press down
    Biceps Hyper: Standing Barbell Curl, Preacher Curl, Incline Dumbbell Curls, Concentration Curls
    Legs: (more concerned with upper, have a solid leg routine)

The biggest concern for me is Chest and Biceps, they are both lagging behind, back as well but not as much
    Yes definitely no flys on power day, weighted dips are a good substitute. i like doing some plyo pushups on power days as well
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.97%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

After a period of adaptation to the increased frequency you'll be fine. Monday is neural based, Saturday is metabolic. Also, the point of Monday's workout is not exhuastion, but progress and over load. Monday and Tuesday you cannot think of in terms of muscle groups, but in terms of movements.

Br
    Very good advice right here
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.86%

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it. feel like I got a solid routine set up now

Similar Forum Threads

1. One body part a week
    By mateo202020 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 09:29 PM
  2. Each Body Part 2x a week help
    By getbig89 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-17-2011, 01:29 PM
  3. Each body part twice a week Workouts?
    By xpin2winx in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 05:48 PM
  4. How often to hit each body part
    By jsheely in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 11:08 PM
  5. whats you favorite workout for each upper body part??
    By just93 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 03:42 AM