From the picture your erector spinae muscles appear to lack development

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deadlifts, good mornings, reverse hyperextensions, hyperextensions, etc.

aceroni

Awards
add deadlifts and squats into your training regiment. it will help add quality mass on your frame.

edit: pullups for more width / that v taper. but i'd stick to the above basics right now. these guys wont steer you in the wrong direction, that's for sure.

ripped_k1d

Awards
Thanks guy for all the feedback. Believ it or not, but the scrawny frame you see here used to pull 385 with ease for sets of 10 and squat 405. But that before elbow surgery and a 5month lay off. Now that its summmer I haven't. Upped my calories and I've been rehabbbing so been going light on deadlifts. Obviosuly it shows.. I feel cut but not enough mass to work with. Any tips for having intense workouts with deadlifts without going super heavy on the weight? I've bee going double overhand grip because I heard it protects the elbow more. I can't compromise my elbow which has my forearm tendon grafted to it.
I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me. I won't let you down. I have no distractions just the gym.

aceroni

Awards
^ those numbers are redic and thats strong as hell for how little you are.. Just keep it up man. I too do a DOH grip for my deadlifts, as to protect my elbows / biceps...
As far as deadlifts, they always seem to treat me better when I hit em heavy.. Lighter high rep deads for me- just don't work as well (my form gets ****ty as I get tired, and then I'm more likely to hurt myself than to make gains)... You could always use straps for your deadlifts, cause i know DOH is a biiiiiiiiitch to hold the weight w/ out the bar rolling out of your hands.. But if you're completely laying off deads for a little bit, you should find a reverse hyper machine and ABUSE the **** out of it.. that will help keep your erectors strong while giving your elbow a complete break of being pulled on with heavy weight.

As far as gaining mass, i used to be super scrawny. The best thing for you to gain weight is going to always be MOAR FOOD!!!
Seriously. Up your calories. Get good quality meals in with clean foods, but don't be afraid to eat some pizza once in a while, it wont hurt you...

And as far as a training program, I have yet to do it (its next on my list), is 5/3/1. I've seen a good natural friend of mine gain quite a bit of quality mass sticking to this program. Go and buy the book by jim wendler..
Or if you're more into volume training, I would suggest mountain dog training. You can read all about it on t-nation.com
I personally did one round of mtn dog and found some great gains.. I'm on my second round now, and I am about to implement some heavy duty bands and chains into my training. I LOVE MOUNTAIN DOG TRAINING. The biggest thing here is to make sure you're getting plenty of rest and food.

ripped_k1d

Awards
Those numbers where before my 4month break and elbow surgery. Used to weigh 185. Now I'm MUCH weaker. Legs retained some weight though.. Guess how much I weigh in the picture I posted...... I'd love to start crunching calories but my ego is pretty big and I'm chasing a 6 pack, so I'm trying to ride the line between bulk/cut and have a legit recomp going. I'm a volume whore :) I'll check out mountain dog training now.

aceroni

Awards
Yeah I'm the same way.. Want to be lean for summertime... so i'm cutting back a bit.