My Workout & Background - Your Advice?

Aranoch

Aranoch

Awards
To start off this thread my name is Chris, I'm 19, I weigh 140 lbs and my overall goals are to gain weight and strength while keeping mobility and speed. Within the next 1-2 years I want to at least weight 150 to try out for XFC. I've been training in BJJ, Muay Thai and Kick Boxing for about 2 years now and have become pretty good. My amateur record is currently 5-0.

Background
Through out my senior year of highschool (2 years ago) I was doing wrestling and weightlifting for my school at 129 lbs and would have placed top 5 but I broke my arm and couldn't continue to compete. Before and about 4 months after the injury I would do 3-4 work outs per muscle group doing 10-12 reps and 3 sets of each and would run 3-4 miles up and down stairs (what our school called "The bulldog mile") for cardio and would do many and various technique and cardio, wrestling related exercises. About a year ago I got seriously back into weightlifting, bag work and cardio running 6 miles 5 days a week and keeping the same 4 workouts with 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Over the course of 1 year my max bench went from 105 (Never working out) to 205 and about 4 months later hit 225. I had stopped working out for about 8 months but kept up my training for mixed martial arts (didnt have time for both) and then got into a motorcycle accident which im still recovering from and can't do squats. February I got back into working out at my local gym which is open 24/7 and gave me plenty of time to go lift weights. Ever since I joined I was hell bent on gaining weight and bulking up for XFC.

Currently:
I started going to the gym again in Feb. and started back with a bench of 190 and am currently at 235 and weigh 140lbs. I've tried/tested out many different peoples exercises who go to the gym and what I'm doing now is 5 workouts of 8-10 reps each with about 1 minute maximum break in between the workouts for 2 sets per muscle group excluding chest (and legs because of the accident) I force myself to use the same weights I would if it weren't a circuit style workout and this IMO feels like the most beneficial work out I've come across. Every week we change up 1-2 work outs in each circuit to mix it up a little.

p.s. I drink preworkouts before and go home afterwards to drink protein and eat a meal.

My workout example:
1st work out Heavy weight workout 8 reps
30-60 second break
2nd work out
30-60 second break
3rd work out
30-60 second break
4th work out
30-60 second break
5th work out Highest rep work out I.E. a lower weight Isolation of 10-12 reps

4-5 minute rest, water etc then repeat and dropping the weight as little as possible to get the # of reps if necessary

My Diet: Chicken, Beef or Pork at every meal along with 2-3 sides. I drink 1 gallon + of milk a day along with my protein and for breakfast I've been eating 5-6 eggs with a glass of milk.

I want to know any critique on the current style of work out I use along with other tips advice or anything else to help me improve my work outs and results. But I need the work outs to be friendly with my sport (MMA) or even more beneficial then my current one.

Things to keep in mind for my workouts: Explosiveness, Mobility, Power, Endurance

Much appreciated.

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
Does 5 workouts mean 5 exercises or 5 days?

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
Btw 150 lbs is easily attainable, within a couple months even.

Your calories look pretty good, i see a lot of protein but i don't see many carbs. What do you usually eat for your sides?

Aranoch

Aranoch

Awards
Does 5 workouts mean 5 exercises or 5 days?
5 Exercises

Btw 150 lbs is easily attainable, within a couple months even.

Your calories look pretty good, i see a lot of protein but i don't see many carbs. What do you usually eat for your sides?
With eggs for breakfast I'll eat hash browns and bacon, along with the chicken or other meats they'll be cooked with plenty of cheese. A lot of times sides would be potatoes (usually fully loaded) different styles of beans, rices, garlic bread, and I'll quite often eat shrimp as one side.

Aranoch

Aranoch

Awards
What you have set up now may help with muscular endurance, but is going to do little (and if anything, hinder) power, speed, and mobility.

I suggest you check out some of the writings by Jamie Hale regarding strength and conditioning for MMA

Links go here

Br
I really appreciate it, and I'll definitely have to look into these.

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
Alright, i would definitely up the carbs. Mix in some oatmeal, fruit, bread, rice, pasta, etc.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
What you have set up now may help with muscular endurance, but is going to do little (and if anything, hinder) power, speed, and mobility.

I suggest you check out some of the writings by Jamie Hale regarding strength and conditioning for MMA

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hale16.htm
http://maxcondition.com/page.php?96
http://maxcondition.com/page.php?2

Br
Great post, you may also look into some of Joe DeFranco articles as he specializes in performance enhancement using a conjugate method approach.