Cleans, jerks, snatch pulls?

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I have been lifting regularly for 2-3 years now. I do the basics (in my mind they're the basics) bench press, overhead press, squat, dead lift, and accessory work. I've been wanting to switch up my routine and add some new exercises. I've noticed a lot of threads where people are suggesting power clean, jerks, and snatch pulls. For the most part I know the exercise and if I don't I can always you tube it but I'm not sure where it would fit in a routine because it looks like they would work multiple muscle groups. Suggestions?

snatch

Awards
Are you planning on doing the full lifts or just the "power" varieties? In either regard, make sure you learn them right. Don't be that guy that hefts the bar up with his shoulders and catches it on straight wrists, you just look silly.

There are many resources online and one can teach themselves sufficiently from watching videos and stuff, but it's a pretty large investment. I would suggest picking up Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches by Gregg Everett as it teaches the fundamentals effectively and in order.

For programming, it depends on your goals. If you're looking for strength and speed, train like an olympic lifter. That is, you'll have entire days of just C&J, snatch, and squats and fill off days with accessory work like pressing and benching. If you're looking for hypertrophy, the lifts won't really do much for you beyond increase your coordination.

Please DO NOT try to do the lifts for high reps a la crossfit or to try to induce hypertrophy. The C&J and snatch are some of the most technically demanding movements you can do and by your 4th-5th rep you will almost certainly not be doing them correctly. Besides just training yourself to do them poorly, you increase the chance of injury exponentially.

Edit: and ignore anyone who teaches you to "triple extend."

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I'm looking for a little bit of everything, strength, speed, everything. I'm still learning as I've only been lifting for a couple of years. Exactly like you said though, I need to learn the right way. I'll check out that book and see what I can find. Thanks for the info.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you planning on doing the full lifts or just the "power" varieties? In either regard, make sure you learn them right. Don't be that guy that hefts the bar up with his shoulders and catches it on straight wrists, you just look silly.

There are many resources online and one can teach themselves sufficiently from watching videos and stuff, but it's a pretty large investment. I would suggest picking up Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches by Gregg Everett as it teaches the fundamentals effectively and in order.

For programming, it depends on your goals. If you're looking for strength and speed, train like an olympic lifter. That is, you'll have entire days of just C&J, snatch, and squats and fill off days with accessory work like pressing and benching. If you're looking for hypertrophy, the lifts won't really do much for you beyond increase your coordination.

Please DO NOT try to do the lifts for high reps a la crossfit or to try to induce hypertrophy. The C&J and snatch are some of the most technically demanding movements you can do and by your 4th-5th rep you will almost certainly not be doing them correctly. Besides just training yourself to do them poorly, you increase the chance of injury exponentially.

Edit: and ignore anyone who teaches you to "triple extend."
This guys knows what he is talking about.
Greg's book is great too. His new book is gonna be awesome as well.

dalexander

dalexander

Awards
Explosive lifts should always be programmed FIRST. any explosive exercise cleans, snatch, high pulls, etc. Do these before traditional deadlifts, bench, squat, etc

LITERaCOLA

Awards
I would start off with super low weight at first just to get form down to perfection because if you mess up even the slightest bit you can really injure yourself