cutting for a competition

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.74%

cutting for a competition

alright so im competing in a competition in mid july and need to cut down to 198 i weigh 212 right now but have been bulking and havent started cardio. is it possible to get down to 198 and how should i go about getting to tht weight

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.17%

Mid july doesn't leave you a lot of time. It's possible, but your going to sacrafice a lot of muscle dieting down that quickly. Plus, I don't think you will get nearly as lean as you would have had you given yourself plenty of time.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.34%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

When cutting for a competition, you should NEVER shoot for a weight. That is very close minded. Shoot for CONDITIONING..
    Start by adding in 20minutes of slow and steady cardio after your weight training sessions 3x a week, then bump it up to 7x
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.76%

Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    When cutting for a competition, you should NEVER shoot for a weight. That is very close minded. Shoot for CONDITIONING..
    Start by adding in 20minutes of slow and steady cardio after your weight training sessions 3x a week, then bump it up to 7x
    I agree with the top part.

I think you'll see better results doing HIIT cardio for 30 min 3x a week until you get quite lean. Then you can switch over to LISS cardio to reduce the last of the BF while maintaining muscle.

I also think you need to chose a competition that's further out...unless you are already quite lean.

Br
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.34%

ehhh unless your calories are super high or your super fat idk about the whole HIIT.. I guess everybody is different, but last time i did a contest the only cardio i did was liss 20 min post workout on the stairs and 40 mins AM cardio slow n steady walking.. went from 185-155 in 12 weeks estimated 3-4%
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.76%

The literature shows that HIIT is more efficient at burning fat and retaining muscle...at least, in a certain bf range.

We can also look at the popularity and success of LISS at getting people super ripped for competition.

Given the caloric needs and hormonal response to HIIT, I feel its best suited for the first 6-8 weeks of pre-contest, or at least to drop someone down to the 4-7% range. Beyond that range, you might expect a great loss in muscle with the demands of HIIT combined with a decreasing caloric intake needed to get into contest shape...which is why I suggested LISS for the final weeks, or to drop from <7 to 3-4%

Br
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.34%

Fair enough..
    My trainer insisted that i'd lose too much muscle doing HIIT (I am a hard ecto-> lifted myself into ecto-meso), and i lose weight / muscle at the drop of a hat... I probably started somewhere around 10-12%,
    I was just sharing my own personal experience, not arguing / trying to say you were wrong..

Similar Forum Threads

1. Competition
    By trainwcristi in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM
  2. Replies: 623
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 02:57 AM
  3. cutting to competition shape, cant make my mind up...
    By redman24 in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 01:59 PM
  4. Next competition
    By anadrol75 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 08:58 PM
  5. New Picīs 3 weeks before competition!
    By serkan in forum Pics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-22-2003, 12:02 PM