leg workout question

tpol

Awards
First off, I've been lifting for rougly 6 years now with a year off due to personal reasons, all throughout high school I thought leg workouts were dumb, as I got older I eventually realized you need to due them for many reasons.

That being said my legs are lagging WAY behind, I am 6 4 squats/deadlifts are painful but necessary just curious if there's another exercise that would supplement in aiding the pain while doing these. I can almost bench what I squat which is rather pathetic, my upper body is most definitely stronger than my lower body due to the fact it feels like im lifting the weight 1000ft in the air.

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
im actuallyy a lot like you, put off legs for a long ass time and recently started doing them, but honestly man you just need to train them consi
stent and it will get a lot better.. i was doing a 5 day split when i started training them and by the next leg day my legs would literally of JUST gotten better it was killing me talk about limping for like a week haha but it definitely gets better

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
where is the pain?

you may just need extra work on weak links. can you post a vid?

tpol

Awards
Got sent out of the states :/ hate my job lol

But we just maxed last night and I can most definitely bench more than I can squat...

Going to try supersets for my legs one a week or twice per month and add another leg day in hopefully I can cut the pain out of these days

compudog

compudog

Awards
Leg press, dumbbell lunges & romanian deadlift. If you're new to squats don't try for heavy doubles, triples etc. Stick with a weight you can manage for sets of 10 and do lots to get that form drilled into your DNA (preferably box squats btw). When it starts to get boring then start going heavier. If you cause yourself too much pain when you're just starting you'll create a mental pattern of aversion which won't help when it gets heavier. My bench was also bigger than my squat for a while, 11 months later though my squat is nearly double my bench.

Last edited:

retrofitted

Awards
I've got friends that encounter the same issue as yourself. Time and again, I believe the best advice for any lagging movement is to work on said movement so often that you eventually conquer it. As stated above, don't be too anxious about the weights, perfect your technique and focus on steady progress. The gains in strength will come. Good luck.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Everyone thinks you need to just lift the heaviest weight possible when this doesnt tell the entire story. I dont squat nor deadlift a lot of weight, but i thrash my legs via other means such as, different angles, intensity, rep schemes, different sets, half reps, supersets, and high volume.

I cant tell you the last time i actualy deadlifted. I will do SLDL for hammies and ill do rack deads, but actual deadlifts its been a minute. I use bands on leg press to really add a different dimension to my leg training.

So my opinion is dont get so caught up in how much you squats or deadlift. Ensure your form is perfect and construct your leg workout around different angles, rep schemes, volume, tension etc and i bet you will see some very good growth in your legs.

tpol

Awards
Everyone thinks you need to just lift the heaviest weight possible when this doesnt tell the entire story. I dont squat nor deadlift a lot of weight, but i thrash my legs via other means such as, different angles, intensity, rep schemes, different sets, half reps, supersets, and high volume.

I cant tell you the last time i actualy deadlifted. I will do SLDL for hammies and ill do rack deads, but actual deadlifts its been a minute. I use bands on leg press to really add a different dimension to my leg training.

So my opinion is dont get so caught up in how much you squats or deadlift. Ensure your form is perfect and construct your leg workout around different angles, rep schemes, volume, tension etc and i bet you will see some very good growth in your legs.
I understand this and I should have explained alittle more, I don't plan on using a huge amount of weight that I can't do properly with each rep. Just plan on doing drop sets until failure.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I always liekd speed sets with squats. Just take 135 and do as many as fast as you can as many times as you can.

Quads develop fast for 99% of people, you can probably easily add 20lbs per workout until 225, stick there for a few, then start adding 20 again