Exercise Science Education

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
I have a full time job that demands lots of overtime, my first child will be born soon, and I'm in the Army Reserve so my schedule is pretty crammed. I plan to begin working towards a degree in exercise science with my military education benefits but theres not a school near me that has a program like that. Are there any colleges with online programs that are good? I'd hate to waste my time for a degree thats useless. So far my best option is looking like American Military University, Sports and Health Sciences degree. Thanks for any help.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
That degree can open up different doors depending on what you like. Also, many schools will refer to that degree as Kinesiology with an emphasis on exercise science/exercise physiology. You can go into physical therapy, personal training, teaching PE, athletic trainer, strength and conditioning coach, and even sports management is offered by some schools through Kinesiology. Also, if you go into teaching then I'd recommend that you get an administrator credential and transition into that ASAP because you might get sick of disciplining kids because their parents failed them.

I don't think online college degrees are worth it in this field because there are many lab classes you need to take and anyone that tells you an online school will have the same accreditation might be full of BS.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can often knock out a bunch of your general prereqs through online classes though. Usually in upper level classes and ones with labs 4 year programs will want you to take them brick and mortar. I believe anything in the health sciences field ultimately lands you in brick and mortar, but online classes can be a start. Just be ready to transfer somewhere and know what those schools requirements are.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
I didn't think about the labs. My wife ain't gonna like me bein gone that much but it'll be worth a good education. Thanks for the help guys.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You got some good advice above from copycat and iron warrior. Also, not sure what's available in texas, but there are some damn good exercise science research/training jobs available with the military.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Where do you live in Texas? There's a lot of ESS/Ex Phys.Kines programs in the state.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Where do you live in Texas? There's a lot of ESS/Ex Phys.Kines programs in the state.
I live outside of Corsicana. The local school is Navarro College, which has a lot of good programs for a junior college but I don't know anyone who has gotten a degree in kinesiology from them so I gotta do more research.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
That's awesome thanks. The Texas A&M Commerce actually has classes at the Navarro campus right down the road from me and their main campus isn't too far. I know a few people who got their degree from there and loved it.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
You got some good advice above from copycat and iron warrior. Also, not sure what's available in texas, but there are some damn good exercise science research/training jobs available with the military.

Br
Civilian contractor maybe but just remember "friends don't let friends enlist"

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Civilian contractor maybe but just remember "friends don't let friends enlist"
The military is the best thing that's ever happened to me. It brought structure to my life, is paying for my entire education, my signing bonus is wiping out my outstanding debt, and my family has health, dental, and life insurance that I could never afford otherwise. Plus my daughters college is paid for. Soldiers take care of this country and it takes care of us.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
The military is the best thing that's ever happened to me. It brought structure to my life, is paying for my entire education, my signing bonus is wiping out my outstanding debt, and my family has health, dental, and life insurance that I could never afford otherwise. Plus my daughters college is paid for. Soldiers take care of this country and it takes care of us.
I'm in the army, sh*t sucks.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Everybody I've ever met from the 82nd has hated it. I was at AIT with all the shute riggers and they were all terrified of Ft Bragg lol. I'm in the reserves right now with the 94th CSH. I'm waitin for my commanders release to go through and I'm takin an 18x contract.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Everybody I've ever met from the 82nd has hated it. I was at AIT with all the shute riggers and they were all terrified of Ft Bragg lol. I'm in the reserves right now with the 94th CSH. I'm waitin for my commanders release to go through and I'm takin an 18x contract.
I woulda done 18x but I'm not old enough. If you dont have enough motivation know that if you dont make it you'll be 82nd. That should get you through.