Thoughts on my program?

  1. Registered User
    matthewmmcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    42

    Thumbs up Thoughts on my program?


    hey everyone, ok so im a 16 year old ectomorph, ive been training for half a year and have made amazing gains and am looking really lean and ripped but im looking to build more muscle and have made this program. Its an every other day big compound lift program, take a look. As you can see it goes a b c d a b c d ect.

    Monday : A. Squat, Bench Press, Rows, Ab and Calf Work

    Tuesday : Rest

    Wednesday: B. Weighted Chins, Shoulder Press, Deadlifts, Ab and Calf Work

    Thursday : Rest

    Friday : C. Dips, Squats, EZ Barbell Curl, Ab And Calf Work

    Saturday : Rest

    Sunday : D. Incline Bench, Deadlift, Rows, Ab And Calf Work

    Monday : Rest

    Tuesday : A. Squat, Bench Press, Rows, Ab And Calf Work

    Wednesday : Rest

    Thursday : B. Weighted Chins, Shoulder Press, Deadlifts, Ab And Calf Work

    Friday : Rest

    Saturday : C. Dips, Squats, EZ Barbell Curl, Ab And Calf Work

    Sunday : Rest

    Monday : D. Incline Bench, Deadlift, Rows, Ab And Calf Work

    Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe a chance of overtraining with this? i thought maybe 2 squats and 2 deadlifts a week could be overkill..

    Thanks

    EDIT the rep and set scheme for this is 8 reps by 3 sets

  2. Registered User
    roblasane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    1016845

    I don't know if you can overtrain at 16 ! Seriously if you squat and dead twice a week I would go light / heavy . Alternate
    "Strive to seize the initiative in all things"
  3. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Rep Power
    83740

    Quote Originally Posted by roblasane
    I don't know if you can overtrain at 16 ! Seriously if you squat and dead twice a week I would go light / heavy . Alternate
    I agree...maybe look into layne nortons PHAT program.

    but hey, respect for a 16 year old doing compound work and not just curls and bench!
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post
    I agree...maybe look into layne nortons PHAT program.

    but hey, respect for a 16 year old doing compound work and not just curls and bench!
    Second this..too many kids just wanna grab a dumbbell and start doing bicep curls. Also, not sure what your rep range is but this does seem a little intense if you're doing high intensity.

    Remember, while compound lifts are the most effective for adding mass n strength in most peoples opinions they also are the most taxing on the muscles, joints, ect.

    Also, deadlifting then squatting 48 hours later constantly is going to put quite the strain on your lower back.
  5. TEAM ALLMAX Guy
    Board Sponsor
    rome32's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    252285

    "curls for tha girls!" Haha I'm just kidding

    Compound movements are great but I like yo break it up with some isolation movements and some cable exercises as well.
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,075
    Rep Power
    917999

    What's the rep scheme and progression? A set routine like that will only yield dividends for so long before you stagnate.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. TEAM ALLMAX Guy
    Board Sponsor
    rome32's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    252285

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    What's the rep scheme and progression? A set routine like that will only yield dividends for so long before you stagnate.
    For Good Mornings I always stay around 95-115lb and reps are 10-15 depending with 4 sets. Do them for 6-8 weeks then replace it with Stiff Leg Dumbell Deadlifts(easier on my back, usually 120lb dumbells) for 4-6 weeks then back on the Good Mornings.
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,075
    Rep Power
    917999

    Quote Originally Posted by rome32 View Post
    I always stay around 95-115lb and reps are 10-15 depending with 4 sets. Do them for 6-8 weeks then replace it with Stiff Leg Dumbell Deadlifts(easier on my back, usually 120lb dumbells) for 4-6 weeks then back on the Good Mornings.
    Sounds boring.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. TEAM ALLMAX Guy
    Board Sponsor
    rome32's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    252285

    Not every lift has to be exciting as long as it is effective.
  10. Registered User
    ScAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    158

    For your particular goals the program looks solid. By Shoulder press, did you mean standing military press? Standing military press is a very underrated compound exercise and I recommend you include it in your program of compound exercises, just ensure that you are performing them with correct form and go lighter if you have to, you can always build up to heavy weight after you establish good form and technique.

    From the looks of this program it seems that it may be very intense, especially if you are going balls to the wall every session. To avoid overtraining listen to your body, for example if after your rest day your lower back is sore and you decide that the soreness may affect your workout, you are better off just taking an additional rest day and then continuing the program where you left off the following day, trust me I know it sucks taking additional rest days when you are motivated and want to accomplish your goals as quickly as possible but the way you will be hitting these intense compound movements it is going to do your body good to fully recover.

    One last piece of advice, you are 16 so maximize this great period of growth that you are in and EAT, EAT, EAT, you are gonna need the fuel to do these hormonal spiking intense compound movements, just make sure 2/3 of your diet is coming from clean protein sources, complex carbohydrates and good fats.

    I wish you luck
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,075
    Rep Power
    917999

    Quote Originally Posted by rome32 View Post
    Not every lift has to be exciting as long as it is effective.
    Not the lift, but the scheme.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Registered User
    matthewmmcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    42

    Quote Originally Posted by ScAR View Post
    For your particular goals the program looks solid. By Shoulder press, did you mean standing military press? Standing military press is a very underrated compound exercise and I recommend you include it in your program of compound exercises, just ensure that you are performing them with correct form and go lighter if you have to, you can always build up to heavy weight after you establish good form and technique.

    From the looks of this program it seems that it may be very intense, especially if you are going balls to the wall every session. To avoid overtraining listen to your body, for example if after your rest day your lower back is sore and you decide that the soreness may affect your workout, you are better off just taking an additional rest day and then continuing the program where you left off the following day, trust me I know it sucks taking additional rest days when you are motivated and want to accomplish your goals as quickly as possible but the way you will be hitting these intense compound movements it is going to do your body good to fully recover.
    yes i did mean standing military press, i shouldve been more clear! i have found it to be a great exercise, its given me good shoulders. tahnk you for the resting advice!
  13. Registered User
    matthewmmcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    42

    the rep and set scheme for this is 8 reps by 3 sets
  14. Registered User
    matthewmmcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    42

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    What's the rep scheme and progression? A set routine like that will only yield dividends for so long before you stagnate.
    the rep and set scheme for this is 8 reps by 3 sets
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,075
    Rep Power
    917999

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewmmcc View Post
    the rep and set scheme for this is 8 reps by 3 sets
    It would be a much better idea to have an alternating rep scheme than just 3x8. For example, work up to a double or triple on one week and then do 3x8 on another. Also, rotate out the lifts (e.g. back squats on "A" and front squats on "C").
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Registered User
    matthewmmcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    42

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It would be a much better idea to have an alternating rep scheme than just 3x8. For example, work up to a double or triple on one week and then do 3x8 on another. Also, rotate out the lifts (e.g. back squats on "A" and front squats on "C").
    could you be more clear on what a double and triple is? ah yes thats probably a good idea, maybe swap deadlifts for stiff legged d's sometimes
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,075
    Rep Power
    917999

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewmmcc View Post
    could you be more clear on what a double and triple is? ah yes thats probably a good idea, maybe swap deadlifts for stiff legged d's sometimes
    Single=1 rep
    Double=2 reps
    Triple=3 reps
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Registered User
    matthewmmcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    42

    thanks!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Thoughts on this workout program
    By mondata in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 10:31 AM
  2. Cutting program- thoughts?
    By nab0610 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 09:09 AM
  3. 5X5 Program
    By HawaiianPride in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 09:54 AM
  4. thoughts on new training program
    By darkshadow in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 01:49 AM
  5. Help for MAX-OT program
    By pocketboy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 03:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in