High school wrestling

yazan

yazan

Awards
Any ideas on workouts that are good for wrestling? Specifically for neck strength, agility and flexibility, stamina( prob just run a lot), and excersises that work your whole body. I was thinking about trying out jump rope for agility, what do u guys think? Any ideas are welcome

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
My guys run 5-3-1 on the 3 day a week template. 5-3-1 movement, one assistance movement then 2-3 accessories. Conditioning is short and sweet. Stuff like sled drags, heavy rope, battle ropes, etc. Keep it simple and basic. Don't try and mimic moves with loads, and don't go crazy on conditioning in the off season. Also get yourself some Fat Gripz and use then for all accessory stuff.

In season do the 5-3-1 movement, but keep intensity lower, and stick with 1 or 2 bodyweight exercises for assistance. In season is not for getting stronger, it is maintenance.

You want to get in shape in season, drill and go live like a machine.

yazan

yazan

Awards
Yeah I stopped going to the gym during the season. My cousin also wrestles so I practiced with him all the time. But I need something for strengthening my neck b/c I can't bridge for ****.

Also what is a 5-3-1?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I stopped going to the gym during the season. My cousin also wrestles so I practiced with him all the time. But I need something for strengthening my neck b/c I can't bridge for ****.

Also what is a 5-3-1?
I cant really suggest anything for the neck, but 5-3-1 is a strength program by Jim Wendler. Very effective and should be simple enough to impliment.

yazan

yazan

Awards
Thanks a lot guys, this routine looks sick

And if someone has any neck-training ideas, I'm all ears

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards

Heavy barbell and dumbell shrugs will get you neck and traps alot bigger and stronger. You also can lay with your chest facing down on a bench and put a 5 lb plate on the back of your head and keep it steady with your hands but don't hold it and start with your head down and raise it up. And once your comfortable with the 5 go up to 10 and so on. Do the same thing laying with your back on the bench. But make sure you put a towell on your face with the weight on top.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I'm sure in the training sessions you guys do wrestler bridges, do those. And heavy deads will smoke your traps. If you do shrugs be sure to look up "Bill Starr" shrugs as those are the way an athlete (well anyone really, who doesn't wanna get hurt) should do them.

FubarFit

Awards
Hang cleans are the best excercise for traps. doesnt seem like it but trust me.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Umm how about bridging bro!!! My college coach still makes us bridge everday AFTER conditioning.. I put it to little use because am very rarely on my back.(****y i know) nevertheless have a very thick neck

yazan

yazan

Awards
Yeah I do bridge as a warmup usually. Sometimes I get a 45 and hold it on my chest while info it for some added resistance. I was just wondering if there are other exersises to do. Lol I really can't bridge for **** and i need to get better by the start of the season

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
Chest Flys. Use lighter weight and keep your arms locked and go from the top down and touch the floor and come back up.

As a wrestler you need strength from a full range of motion rather then halfway.

Make sure everything is as deep and controlled as possible for a good 8-12 reps if not more.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Chest Flys. Use lighter weight and keep your arms locked and go from the top down and touch the floor and come back up.

As a wrestler you need strength from a full range of motion rather then halfway.

Make sure everything is as deep and controlled as possible for a good 8-12 reps if not more.
How exactly is that going to help? That's going to stress the bicep and front delt more than the chest.

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
How exactly is that going to help? That's going to stress the bicep and front delt more than the chest.
My wrestling coach passed it on to me and I started doing it and it worked out great I went to state my first year as a wrestler because I had a wide range of strength coming from behind me all the way to infront of me.

It does put stress on the bicep and front delt, hut for a wrestler wide range of strength is better and it does work the chest very well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My wrestling coach passed it on to me and I started doing it and it worked out great I went to state my first year as a wrestler because I had a wide range of strength coming from behind me all the way to infront of me.

It does put stress on the bicep and front delt, hut for a wrestler wide range of strength is better and it does work the chest very well.
I've wrestled for years, but this lift doesn't make any sense. The amount of stress that it is placing on the bicep tendon at both the origin and insertion alone is enough to toss it out.

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
I've wrestled for years, but this lift doesn't make any sense. The amount of stress that it is placing on the bicep tendon at both the origin and insertion alone is enough to toss it out.
He wanted recommendations so I have him just that. I attribute my going to state due to a wider range of strength in the chest from these flies. Just my opinion.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Wrestling captain, class of 2003. My routine was school in the AM (way to early to get up and do any WO before that) practice after school ED, homework, then run from my house to a bar that was 2.5 miles away and back. I didn't lift but focused more on self-weighted exercises, e.g. push-ups, pull-ups, jump rope, etc.

Most "great" wrestlers can't even bench their bodyweight because, as you know, weight class is pretty damn important. I've been the same height (5'9") since high school and wrestled in the 119 weight class back then, now I hover between 180 and 200. What weight class are you wrestling in OP?

EDIT: One more thing, I noticed that SLEEP was as important as diet and training when it came to maximizing my performance, recover, and endurance.

MooseLoRoose

MooseLoRoose

Awards
Don't do heavy shrugs!!!! Your a wrestler, not a bodybuilder. I train both. If your having issues with your neck, your T spine is probably really tight. Look up the two tennis ball T spine mobility exercises and stretches... Start doing them on a daily basis. Also do alot of bodyweight inverted rows (where your completely parellel to the floor bridging up with your hips and using your scapula retractors to pull your body up). Mostly everyone is chest, lats, and upper trap dominant. This causes your shoulders to come in... You wanna really work your mid to low traps and scapula retractors... It will make you a much stronger wrestler. Look up exercises online if you need help.

yazan

yazan

Awards
Wrestling captain, class of 2003. My routine was school in the AM (way to early to get up and do any WO before that) practice after school ED, homework, then run from my house to a bar that was 2.5 miles away and back. I didn't lift but focused more on self-weighted exercises, e.g. push-ups, pull-ups, jump rope, etc.

Most "great" wrestlers can't even bench their bodyweight because, as you know, weight class is pretty damn important. I've been the same height (5'9") since high school and wrestled in the 119 weight class back then, now I hover between 180 and 200. What weight class are you wrestling in OP?

EDIT: One more thing, I noticed that SLEEP was as important as diet and training when it came to maximizing my performance, recover, and endurance.
I don't know my exact weight now but I'm about 170-175. But Ive packed on some fat. I'm planning to drop back to what I wrestled last year, 169

yazan

yazan

Awards
Don't do heavy shrugs!!!! Your a wrestler, not a bodybuilder. I train both. If your having issues with your neck, your T spine is probably really tight. Look up the two tennis ball T spine mobility exercises and stretches... Start doing them on a daily basis. Also do alot of bodyweight inverted rows (where your completely parellel to the floor bridging up with your hips and using your scapula retractors to pull your body up). Mostly everyone is chest, lats, and upper trap dominant. This causes your shoulders to come in... You wanna really work your mid to low traps and scapula retractors... It will make you a much stronger wrestler. Look up exercises online if you need help.
I'll look that stuff up man. Thx for the tips

MooseLoRoose

MooseLoRoose

Awards
No prob... One of my youth wrestlers (10years old) started with me last August. And he had neck issues, and it was coming from slumping shoulders and bad posture. So we literally worked on it when I saw him 3 days a week, and I had him do it everyday by himself and the results def showed. He finished 7th in the States last year... (NY). And this year he just took 1st in Freestyle and 1st in Greco Roman. And I think at least 80% was attributed to better movement patterns, which mad his shoots much more explosive, and his core was solid.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I don't know my exact weight now but I'm about 170-175. But Ive packed on some fat. I'm planning to drop back to what I wrestled last year, 169
Yeah thats a tough range on the scale because anything lower than 169 is, what? 152lbs. right? thats a big jump compared to the 110-150lb. range. Anyway, 169 weight class guys were pretty jacked, alot of grappling on your feet so don't neglect forearm exercises. You should get tension grips and do sets during class, on the bus, whatever. The 169 guys were like Popeye, forearms bigger than their biceps! lol.

yazan

yazan

Awards
Lol not that much. Every one I wrestled last year was plainly fat or chubby, no one even remotely looked strong or intimidating. so decided to start working out cause I still sucked pretty bad. I couldn't bridge for ****, I couldn't muscle around the other kid or move his arm or something the way I wanted, and I was also pretty fat.

I actually ordered a set of those forearm things today, but the highest resistance I found was like 15 lb or something like that. Are they all that low? Or is that supposed to b hard ( I've never used/ had one so I dont know)

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol not that much. Every one I wrestled last year was plainly fat or chubby, no one even remotely looked strong or intimidating. so decided to start working out cause I still sucked pretty bad. I couldn't bridge for ****, I couldn't muscle around the other kid or move his arm or something the way I wanted, and I was also pretty fat.

I actually ordered a set of those forearm things today, but the highest resistance I found was like 15 lb or something like that. Are they all that low? Or is that supposed to b hard ( I've never used/ had one so I dont know)
Probably should have looked around a little more. I like Fat Gripz for grip. Only been using them a short while but noticing a difference.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established

You can get a good forearm workout with a 15 lb. tension grip. Esp, if you do enough sets.

MooseLoRoose

MooseLoRoose

Awards
Fat Gripz are def much better and more realistic to wrestling cause its an isometric hold where you have to squeeze and hold or else the bar will fall out of you hands. Esp on exercises like farmers walks and barbell rows. The squeeze resistance handles are more repetitions and cosmetic.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Fat Gripz are def much better and more realistic to wrestling cause its an isometric hold where you have to squeeze and hold or else the bar will fall out of you hands. Esp on exercises like farmers walks and barbell rows. The squeeze resistance handles are more repetitions and cosmetic.
I respectfully disagree. Fat gripz aren't bad in theory but they only apply when working out. Squeeze resistance handles can be carried in a book bag and used whenever/whereever. I don't agree that they're "cosmetic" or less "realistic to wrestling". I personally noticed a significant difference in forearm strength with them.

MooseLoRoose

MooseLoRoose

Awards
I never said you couldn't get your forearms stronger. I said it wouldn't crossover into wrestling strength as much as fat gripz do. And the reason I say that is because I had a couple wrestlers tell me they use grip squeezers for their forearms but have a hard time holding weight in farmers walks because their grip fails before their strength does. Have you ever used fat grips?? Try putting fat Gripz on a pull up bar and do a set of close grip flexed arm hangs. Where you come up on the first rep and hold your body there. If your grip is strong you'll be able to hold yourself there for at least 2min. Like I said its a different type of strength its isometric. Completely different beast than continuus reps

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
The grippers are fun and will contribute a little, but fat Gripz are where it's at for grappling. I have been using them for about 3-4 years solid on almost everything and if you stick with them religiously you will see tremendous changes in about 6-8 months. I believe that over the long haul they can transform many aspects of your game.

yazan

yazan

Awards
Yeah once I get some money I'll buy them. Lol I get like 8h a week at min wage. When u take out gas money it's barely anything lol.

But should I buy a back belt first? Or fat grips?

yazan

yazan

Awards
Oh and on a completely random but pride-causing note, I leg pressed 2x my weight, 340 lb, for a set of 10 reps ( I'm 170 for the slower math people like me out there lol)

But I'm thinking about it. I only could deadlift 155 today. Is that probably a bad case of asymmetry? Or is it natural that my quads are that much stronger than my back?